• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Crime and Design

rideabike

The sniper shootings have been on my mind alot lately. Have done some writing about them on my site.

I thought you guys might like reading this article from The Tampa Trib - it is first of all, something you do not see all too often. Great reporting, a breath of fresh air. And I think it is relavant to these killings, although the mainstream will never reassess low-density development as a result.

http://tampatrib.com/News/MGAC33STT6D.html

Rocco

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Seminole County (FL) has been using CPTED review in conjunction with the Sheriff's Dept for a couple of years. Unfortunately, some of the CPTED principles conflict with the County's zoning code, primarily in site lighting and landscaping. It can be a tough call. Do we tone down the site lighting in deference to the adjacent homeowners, or do we light it up like daytime to reduce crime?
I would be interested to see how Tampa is employing CPTED in its Trails project. Any Tampa planners out there?

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I think it is a fine idea to include law enforcement as a part of the referral process for design, though with an understanding previously stated regarding potential conflicts with generally accepted standards of good design.

As an aside, I do take issue with a not so- veiled attempt to capitalize on our fears, advance an anti suburban agenda, by blaming a certain development pattern for the DC Metro area sniper.

Its inappropriate and offensive.

rideabike

>>>>>>As an aside, I do take issue with a not so- veiled attempt to capitalize on our fears, advance an anti suburban agenda, by blaming a certain development pattern for the DC Metro area sniper.

Its inappropriate and offensive.>>>>>>>

I would tend to disagree. While in the short-term design issues do not mean a whole lot since the problem is capturing this psychopath, overall, our nation needs to reassess low-density development in a long-term attempt to recapture "community" in our places of habitation. With any will on the part of Americans, and the ability to get past obvious emotional reactions, we will embark on this process one day.

The number of deaths as a result of car-dependent, low-dependency development cannot continue to be accepted as collateral damage for a chosen lifestyle. The number of social ills cannot be tossed to the side any longer either. Every American should be required to read a copy of Jane Jacobs' stuff.... and maybe a little Jim Kunstler as well.

Rocco

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I agree with you on required reading of Jacob's, not so much with Kunstler, but I like his ability to be provacative.

I will be happy to pick this up offline on monday as you appear quite engaging (nice website as well), but I have to go get my kids from daycare and find a safe place to get gas.

Oh, and i am a huge nyr fan.

green22

INACTIVE
I am dissapointed that the media often concentrates on relatively unimportant issues over which we have little control. This only serves to heighten people's fears. My girlfriend said, I'm glad that didn't happen here, or I couldn't go outside. I told her, I'm a messenger in Manhattan and with a hundred people on every block the chances of me being hit were so low that it wouldn't worry me. (There would also be plenty of witnesses). I would be more leary in a place where I didn't see other people walking around that I was the only target. I think city and suburban residents alike would feel safer if gun possession became regulated as in other developed countries.
I don't think that establishing a feeling of community is being anti-suburban as many people prefer living in a friendly community to living in a high security zone. Some urban communities have no sense of community, just as some suburbs may have people on the streets watching out for their neighbors and saying howdy. Alll communities can improve.

Runner

Cyburbian
green22 said:
I think city and suburban residents alike would feel safer if gun possession became regulated as in other developed countries.
I guess some people would feel safer but they certainly would not be safer. They could also feel safer by sticking their heads in the sand...

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/MALGUN.html

http://asp.washtimes.com/printarticle.asp?action=print&ArticleID=20020730-23396541

Now lets talk about really making ourselves safer. The Washington sniper has intentionally killed 8 people so far over a period of several weeks. However, in one day 10 were killed accidentally in Wisconsin by a readily available and dangerous device. How many were killed accidentally throughout the US by this same devise in one day? one year? Then we can discuss environmental damage, dependence on foreign oil, etc.

To make me feel and be safer:

Drivers License: $2000 / year

Driver Training: 6 month course, 3 month refresher course upon renewal (renew every 4 years)

Vehicle Registration: $1/lb (registered weight) per year plus fee based on exhaust pollutants

Federal highway funding set at a maximum of 20% of all transportation dollars