• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Cross between stupid news stories and parents...

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
This is kind of a cross between the organic coffeee beans (stupididy) and suburban parents (my kids are the best and deserve everything) threads.

Locally, well the Acadian Penisula, a parent is suing the minor hockey association for $300 000 for not naming his kid MVP of the league. Here is the whole story

Comments.
 
Last edited:
Messages
3,690
Points
27
Phew! Not just Americans are litigatious a**holes. I cannot believe those lawsuits! What the hell are those people thinking?
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Points
34
KMateja said:
Phew! Not just Americans are litigatious a**holes. I cannot believe those lawsuits! What the hell are those people thinking?
El Guapo, why don't you just email them and we'll find out! ;)
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Points
27
You know what? I've never really been the same since I didn't make the Little League All-Star Team in 3rd grade. I'm calling my lawyer.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
ya know i think ill sue my divorce atty for the emotional stress the beotch caused me!

i pretty well hate attys *someone was greedy enough to take such sad cases* and overzelous parents.

the poor kids are the ones that are going to suffer the most-they are going to be soooo screwed up-god help Harvard or some such when they get turned down from the choice schools-if they dont land in jail first for god only knows what stupid stuff

"no my little suzie could NEVER do that!"

hrumph!
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
Being the president of a Provincial Sport Organization, I am scared. Nationally we were threatened with a law suit when someone did not get to go to the World Championships.

The scarier things is that there are more stories like this then you could imagine.

At least they are all about hockey and not something important.

I feel sorry for the kid and for the PSO that is getting dragged through the local media (heard this on the radio first) and having to waste money that is supposed to be spent on kids not lawyers.
 
Last edited:

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Now hold on just a second... I played up near that area, close enough to know what it all means. Especially to a kid who is good (and by the stats, this one is...), and has a chance to be drafted. Bantam, unless I recall incorrectly, is one step below juniors, where players are taken by the NHL. And the junior teams draft from the lower teams. So, an award like this could mean a career in hockey versus a job in the paper mills...

"Croteau's son had 45 goals and 42 assists for the Acadian Peninsula AAA team last season. The MVP winner, Lucas Martin of the Moncton team, had 21 goals and 39 assists. The league's nine coaches voted for the award."

And since Moncton won the title, I'd bet the Croteau kid was a much more valuable player, scoring twice as many goals, and having more assists. Often the "MVP player" is simply the best player on the winning team, which is not what a league MVP award is all about. The guote for the paper from CHA saying "... I'm not sure what kind of lesson the parent is teaching his son here.", is silly. I'd be teaching my kid not to let anybody take things from you that are rightfully yours.

How's that for a minority opinion?
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
There's more to a game than stats...

Sorry Mastiff, but I don't agree...

After all, what were the criteria used for designating the MVP? Valuable doesn't just mean points scored, it could mean all-around teamwork and leadership. Did the Crouteau kid show support for other players, provide some big hits on the ice, and really make some good plays besides offensive goal scoring? My guess is that if his dad is that self-centered and frivolous (as shown through the lawsuit), then a similar mentality is probably ingrained into the kid. For all we know, this kid may have a terrible reputation for being a primadonna and not a team player... so why should he get the MVP?

MVP should be given to the player that makes the most difference to the team and I think it's an awesome lesson to the other players that it's not necessarily how many points you score, but your effectiveness as an all-around player. At that age, it would be a great life experience.

IMO... a big round of applause to the CHA!
 

Habanero

Cyburbian
Messages
3,241
Points
27
I'd be embarrassed if my parents ever filed a law suit- I think it's teaching those kids to whine and throw a tantrum if they don't get their way. It's unsportman like. It's rude. It's childish. It's selfish. Life isn't fair, suck it up.
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,903
Points
35
Red Vines in Jeopardy?

I agree with you 100% Nerudite, but unfortunately, Mastiff's take on it reflects reality - the MVP is usually always the guy who gets the most points, for the best team.
 

Habanero

Cyburbian
Messages
3,241
Points
27
Re: Red Vines in Jeopardy?

Tranplanner said:
I agree with you 100% Nerudite, but unfortunately, Mastiff's take on it reflects reality - the MVP is usually always the guy who gets the most points, for the best team.
I think he may not have gotten the MVP award because this lawsuit clearly shows his poor attitude. Did this kid rack up penalty minutes too?
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
Re: Red Vines in Jeopardy?

Tranplanner said:
I agree with you 100% Nerudite, but unfortunately, Mastiff's take on it reflects reality - the MVP is usually always the guy who gets the most points, for the best team.
Maybe it's usually the guy that gets the most points, but it's not always the case... like in 2001 Jagr got the most overall points (Art Ross) in the NHL, but Sakic got the MVP trophy (Hart). It's who did best for their team. Similarly, Iginla last year scored the most points (by a lot!) but because the Flames sucked out and didn't make the playoffs, he didn't have a chance for the Hart because his team didn't actually fare any better in the standings on the basis of his contributions. And personally, I think that's the way it should be.

So... yet another disagreement I guess. As you can see, I'm *very* opinionated about my hockey.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Re: There's more to a game than stats...

nerudite said:
Sorry Mastiff, but I don't agree...

After all, what were the criteria used for designating the MVP? Valuable doesn't just mean points scored, it could mean all-around teamwork and leadership. Did the Crouteau kid show support for other players, provide some big hits on the ice, and really make some good plays besides offensive goal scoring? My guess is that if his dad is that self-centered and frivolous (as shown through the lawsuit), then a similar mentality is probably ingrained into the kid. For all we know, this kid may have a terrible reputation for being a primadonna and not a team player... so why should he get the MVP?

MVP should be given to the player that makes the most difference to the team and I think it's an awesome lesson to the other players that it's not necessarily how many points you score, but your effectiveness as an all-around player. At that age, it would be a great life experience.

IMO... a big round of applause to the CHA!
The thing is... we DON'T know. I checked the stats and standings for the league, and it's still impossible to know for sure. But, why shouldn't a person be able to challenge what a bunch of coaches think? For all we know, five of the nine coaches know each other and screwed the kid! I mean, where else can this family find relief? If I thought my kid was "done wrong", I'd want to challenge the issue...

As far as "frivolous" suits are concerned, I have two points. First, asking for that kind of money over this *is* ludicrous... especially the pain & suffering crap. They lose points on that issue. Second, the way to stop silly lawsuits is to make the plantiff responsible if they fail. Attorney fees, money for time lost for the defendant, even some penalty on the plantiff's attorney for bringing the suit, imposed by the judge. Then we'd really know if this kid's dad thinks his boy got screwed or not.

If he DID get screwed, it very well could hurt his chances at big money in the NHL. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary...
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
TexasPlanner said:
I'd be embarrassed if my parents ever filed a law suit- I think it's teaching those kids to whine and throw a tantrum if they don't get their way. It's unsportman like. It's rude. It's childish. It's selfish. Life isn't fair, suck it up.
Who said the kid did anything? And while life isn't fair, the coaches voting for the MVP should be...

I'm against the sum being requested by the plantiff, but I don't see a lawsuit as a "tantrum".
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Red Vines not in Jeopardy... But am I still a hero?

TexasPlanner said:


I think he may not have gotten the MVP award because this lawsuit clearly shows his poor attitude. Did this kid rack up penalty minutes too?
It was filed by his parents, not by the son. But I'm not understanding how the suit itself (not the amount of money) shows a "poor attitude". If you were passed over for a promotion, and you knew others purposely overlooked your talent, would you do something about it?

I know I would!
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
nerudite said:
Similarly, Iginla last year scored the most points (by a lot!) but because the Flames sucked out and didn't make the playoffs, he didn't have a chance for the Hart because his team didn't actually fare any better in the standings on the basis of his contributions.
So, you think the Flames wouldn't have been worse without Iginla? I think they'd have been MUCH worse, and while they didn't make the play-offs, they fared better with him.

I agree it isn't "just points", but does the team have to win the Cup to have the MVP? I think not.

Who knows? This screwed over kid might win the Lady Bing his first year in the NHL...
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
Re: Re: There's more to a game than stats...

Mastiff said:

If he DID get screwed, it very well could hurt his chances at big money in the NHL. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary...
In the same vein though, his dad and his lawsuits may very well take him off of many NHL lists. His father seems like a Carl-Lindros-in-training... there are more reasons than concussions that Eric sat out for so long. Even if the kid puts up the numbers and looks like a good prospect, a lot of teams don't want to deal with the headaches, media and cost of constantly negotiating with these dorks.
 

Habanero

Cyburbian
Messages
3,241
Points
27
Re: Red Vines not in Jeopardy... But am I still a hero?

Mastiff said:


It was filed by his parents, not by the son. But I'm not understanding how the suit itself (not the amount of money) shows a "poor attitude". If you were passed over for a promotion, and you knew others purposely overlooked your talent, would you do something about it?

I know I would!
Parents that are showing this child that it's okay to be a sniveling whining bastard.

If I was passed over for a promotion I would not file a $300,000 lawsuit. I'd suck it up, sometimes life isn't fair. If it really pissed me off I'd find employment elsewhere-
 

El Feo

Cyburbian
Messages
674
Points
19
Re: Re: Red Vines not in Jeopardy... But am I still a hero?

TexasPlanner said:


Parents that are showing this child that it's okay to be a sniveling whining bastard.

If I was passed over for a promotion I would not file a $300,000 lawsuit. I'd suck it up, sometimes life isn't fair. If it really pissed me off I'd find employment elsewhere-
On the other hand, I'd much rather somebody grab their lawyer and come after me than grab their shotgun and do the same...
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Re: Re: Re: There's more to a game than stats...

nerudite said:


In the same vein though, his dad and his lawsuits may very well take him off of many NHL lists. His father seems like a Carl-Lindros-in-training... there are more reasons than concussions that Eric sat out for so long. Even if the kid puts up the numbers and looks like a good prospect, a lot of teams don't want to deal with the headaches, media and cost of constantly negotiating with these dorks.
Mmmmm... Yes and no. I agree with the concussion statement. Eric sat because of Bonnie and Carls's feud with Clarkie (Who is just as big an ass...)

But remember this... In juniors, Baby Huey's parents manipulated a trade so he could play close to home, and upon being drafted by the Nords, they also managed to force a trade to the Flyers! Who, much to my chagrin in hindsight, were so eager to make the deal they managed to beat out the fax machine of another team...

http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~dubrowg/snickers.jpg
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
LOL! I liked that snickers picture... very funny! I had never seen that before.

I'll agree to disagree.

And yeah, you're still my hero. But then aren't heroes part turkey and part ham? Just kidding. :)
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Absurd...

TexasPlanner said:


Parents that are showing this child that it's okay to be a sniveling whining bastard.

If I was passed over for a promotion I would not file a $300,000 lawsuit. I'd suck it up, sometimes life isn't fair. If it really pissed me off I'd find employment elsewhere-
If I were passed over for promotion for someone less qualified, and I knew there was some kind of behind the scenes crap going on, I'd DAMN sure file suit!

Go find employment elsewhere? Are you kidding me? That's like running home because you were picked last to play kickball! Life may not be fair, but at times people, employers, and institutions MUST be... Fighting to get a fair shake isn't sniveling or whining (and I'm not sure how "bastard" fits in the equation), it's admirable. Just sucking it up and taking it... is the move of a weakling.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
nerudite said:

And yeah, you're still my hero. But then aren't heroes part turkey and part ham? Just kidding. :)
Yeah, and cheese... don't forget the cheese!
 

Habanero

Cyburbian
Messages
3,241
Points
27
Re: Absurd...

Mastiff said:


If I were passed over for promotion for someone less qualified, and I knew there was some kind of behind the scenes crap going on, I'd DAMN sure file suit!

Go find employment elsewhere? Are you kidding me? That's like running home because you were picked last to play kickball! Life may not be fair, but at times people, employers, and institutions MUST be... Fighting to get a fair shake isn't sniveling or whining (and I'm not sure how "bastard" fits in the equation), it's admirable. Just sucking it up and taking it... is the move of a weakling.
It's not for sure the kid that won was unqualified for the award. Sure, if I thought something was up I'd do something about it, but why the money portion of it? It doesn't sound like the money is going to get the kid a fair shake; he's going to look like a headache. IMHO it sound like the kid/parent is upset and thinks that because he scored the most he should've won the award, which may not be true, but that's how I percieve this. I don't think sucking it up and taking it is the move of a weakling, but you should choose your battles. Law suit, fine, $300,000 on top of that.. that's absurd. There are always 3 sides to a story, this is only one side.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Re: Re: Absurd...

TexasPlanner said:


It's not for sure the kid that won was unqualified for the award. Sure, if I thought something was up I'd do something about it, but why the money portion of it? It doesn't sound like the money is going to get the kid a fair shake; he's going to look like a headache. IMHO it sound like the kid/parent is upset and thinks that because he scored the most he should've won the award, which may not be true, but that's how I percieve this. I don't think sucking it up and taking it is the move of a weakling, but you should choose your battles. Law suit, fine, $300,000 on top of that.. that's absurd. There are always 3 sides to a story, this is only one side.
That's my point... We don't know, and really, who does? The parents are biased, we know that, the coaches could be as well. So perhaps it *is* best if cases are presented and an impartial jury sorts it out, eh?

I agree on the $300,000. That's just the lawyer wanting $100,000...
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Re: Re: Re: Absurd...

Mastiff said:


That's my point... We don't know, and really, who does? The parents are biased, we know that, the coaches could be as well. So perhaps it *is* best if cases are presented and an impartial jury sorts it out, eh?

I agree on the $300,000. That's just the lawyer wanting $100,000...
I'm weighing in late here, not having the time to check out Cyburbia at work today. It seems to me that there should be another way to handle this than to run off to court right away. Perhaps some higher authority or appeals commission? Still, I tend to go along with the coaches. We don't know, but I would suspect they had their reasons for choosing the other kid. As for the money, remember it is $300,000 Canadian. That is about what, $500 US?
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,903
Points
35
Of course, there's also the $10,000 lawsuit filed by the father of a 9 year old hockey player against an opposing hockey coach for supposedly taking out a "bounty" on his son...

Sometimes I think we take this game just a little too seriously...
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
The plot thickens. The parent's are now suing for teh suspension of the player, as they have not followed the proper appeal process. News story
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,853
Points
39
I have also read several times of parents suing school districts because their child was not valedictorian; as a result, many schools have discontinued the valedictorian/salutatorian tradition.
 
Top