• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

cul-de-sac

Streck

Cyburbian
Cul-de-sac highest and best use?

Has anyone come across an inovative use for the property at the end of a cul-de-sac?

It seems like all our developers can think of is pie-shaped lots with houses pushed up near the street, and having narrow frontage and unimaginative inefficient back yards.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I really don't understand what you are getting at. What kind of shaped lot do you want for something that fronts on an arc?

And how is the backyard on one of these lots any different than that on any other area of the development. I suppose we could require tunnel systems or something in the backyard for those homebuyers who are "unfortunate" enough to get stuck with the lot at the end of the cul-de-sac. That should keep them busy.

These lots are usually the premium lots in a development, because wider homes with side-entry garages and lots of side options can be built. Grading can usually be designed to avoid noticable swales in the yard, the kids can play in the street, etc., etc.

dbarch

Cyburbian
Perhaps the problem is not how to effeciently use the land at the end of cul-de-sacs, but whether there should be large numbers of cul-de-sacs at all.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If there is a cul-de-sac ...

This is preferred to what's shown in the image above.

The land use code I'm writing only permits cul-de-sacs as a last resort; otherwise, the street pattern of a development has to be a logical extension of the town's original grid, and permit the same level of interconnectivity. The statement of intent reads:

Streets, pedestrian paths, and bike trails must contribute to a system of fully-connected and interesting routes to all destinations, preserving the visual and functional connectivity found in the town's original grid street pattern.

Are you familiar with loop lanes? The following image was swiped from the site and shrunk down a bit.

Geoffrey

Administrator note - merged with "Dead End" thread

I live on a dead end street that is better described as a Close. It is short and has a park in the middle of the street. Like a conventional cal-de-sac the lots are pie shaped at the end of the street. Although the rear yard is larger it is not easy to use because of its awkward shape. I really don't like the shape because if just gives me more grass to cut.
The park in front is wonderful. Last year we had a Thanksgiving feast in the park with all the neighbors. The extra land you speak of at the rear of the lot commonly found on the more typical cal-de-sac was replaced by an alley allowing for the houses to be pulled forward. There are no curb cuts on the street and there are fewer cars making it safer for my children and easier for the Postman.

Additionally the Garbage is located in the rear. Because we have an alley and houses that are closer to the street our density is almost double that of a conventional front loaded cal-de-sac on the same amount of land.

If you can replace the extra land required on a conventional front loaded cal-de-sac with a small park in the middle with the more socially conducive conditions described above its well worth it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Examples in Celebration:

Dead end street, with loop at the terminus. Note the arbor.

1celebration051-med.jpg

Another looping dead end
1celebration019-med.jpg

Looping street with eyelet park
1celebration006-med.jpg

Geoffrey

Dan,
Your images are great examples of alternatives to the Cal-de-sac. Your first Image of Celebration has a wetland preserve at the end of the street. In this instance there is a much better use of land because the street frontage for houses is much longer than if there is simply an open paved circle at the end. The other benefit is the park in the center and the visual connection to the Wetland that is not privatized. I will look for a plan diagram of these areas to post.

Streck

Cyburbian
Thanks

Thanks for the drawings and photos, Dan!

This is very helpful and inspiring!

It will be shared appropriately.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
see... the loop lane is an excellent alternative to the cul de sac...anywhere! i don't think that the occasional dead end is a bad idea...it adds privacy to those who want it...but there are people who like activity...so not ever road in a subdivision should have a terminus...but if you must cul de sac...loop lane it!

Streck

Cyburbian
Dan, what does Celebration call its looped cul-de-sac?

Dead end?

No outlet?

No other outlet?

U Turn?

U'll be back?

Turn around?

Round about?

Loop lane?

Are there any traffic signs? Like keep right, or one way?