• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Curious?

donk

Cyburbian
You should have included a link so we could get the full experience.

Maybe I am back to thinking that internet dating and mate searches are creepy. (shrugs)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think it is so nice of you to help your sister get a date.

She is not quite my type though.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
*SHUDDERS LOL*

donk said:

Maybe I am back to thinking that internet dating and mate searches are creepy. (shrugs)

I second your thought about about the online thing. Now where to look. HMMMMM

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
JoshD said:
*SHUDDERS LOL*

I second your thought about about the online thing. Now where to look. HMMMMM

I think KMateja said a while back - join a local outdoors club (cycling, hiking, ski or watersports). I have to agree. I've meet so many single women doing that. Plus, if you want to find someone healthy and fit, there's no better place to look for someone.

JNL

Cyburbian
donk said:

I've never tried internet dating. And I haven't been on a date for a couple of months... problem is, I live in a reasonably small city and I'd probably end up with someone I went to kindergarten or primary school with!!

JNL

Cyburbian
I didn't realise so many of you are church-goers. I don't know anyone my age who goes to any sort of church. Although all my sisters do. I opted out when I was about 13 and have never gone back.

donk

Cyburbian
JNL
I live in a reasonably small city and I'd probably end up with someone I went to kindergarten or primary school with!!

At least you would know they were educated. Here, graduating from primary school is considered higher learning.

The "city" I live is fairly small too. Women my age are either divorced, with three kids by four different men, have 0 education, few common interests with me or are married.

Last date I went on is over a year ago.

As for the outdoor clubs no luck here, I am even a founding member of of cycling club.

JNL

Cyburbian
I've been catching up on reading with my "spare" (read single) time and am considering helping with a new immigrant assistance program where you help new arrivals adjust to their new country. Haven't started any cycling groups yet... :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There's a thought, Donk. Try immigrants. There are plenty of Eastern European or Asian women wanting to come to America to meet a nice guy. Didn't EG once provide us a web site? I seem to remember a similar thread some time back.

donk

Cyburbian
By nice guy, they mean rich guy that will be their sugar daddy.

I'm a planner, not a millionaire.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
This thread is great! We need another one with a poll called "Who's NOT getting laid?"

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
meetings

You should get involved in things you LIKE and meet people there. There are so many organizations out there. (The whole grocery store thing kind of urks me. I mean, what if someone is checking me out and I have the industrial sized box of tampons in my cart? How embarassing would that be?) I've not had luck meeting people in bars- too materialistic and shallow.
Pickiness-on the other hand, will severely limit your options... first impressions unfortunately go a long way.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
I think KMateja said a while back - join a local outdoors club (cycling, hiking, ski or watersports). I have to agree. I've meet so many single women doing that. Plus, if you want to find someone healthy and fit, there's no better place to look for someone.

Well it has been a while since this thread has been active so I thought I would bring it back with a personal update.

I met a really great woman at a local outdoors club in conjunction with the online thing. I had something posted, she responded, we chatted and got to talking about the outdoors. She was a member of an outdoor club I had been meaning to join. She encouraged me to attend the meetings where we met and went out for beer.

There were lots of available women at the club meeting, so if you like to do outdoor stuff I recommend it. But you'll need to go to a couple different meetings and attend some events. Don't give up after one meeting.

SO, how is the dating scene for the rest of my fellow Single Cyburbites?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I'm in living hell right now with the current relationship, although it seems to be getting better. A great place to meet other single planners is to go to an APA dinner. Man that girl I met there was cute. Time to go cry now.

donk

Cyburbian
Josh D asked SO, how is the dating scene for the rest of my fellow Single Cyburbites?

imagine this blowing down a long lonesome road...
tumbleweed.gif

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
donk said:
tumbleweed.gif

Ya Know Donk,

The longer those tumble weeds blow around, the greater the chance they will bump into another (female) tumble weed and their bushy nature makes them prone to getting interlocked and becoming a larger clump of tumble weeds. Which will be blown aroung together

It is a lonely place out there, I've been there.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Local APA chapter dinners? Not much luck there. Usually, they're either sausagefests, or all the women stay with other fellow employees, and it's nearly impossible to pry them away. Many seem so stern or serious ... what's the deal with that?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Local APA chapter dinners? Not much luck there. Usually, they're either sausagefests, or all the women stay with other fellow employees, and it's nearly impossible to pry them away. Many seem so stern or serious ... what's the deal with that?

I agree with ya Dan. They are sausagefests around here.

Plus I'm not real sure how I would feel dating another planner (sorry lady planners nothing personal).

I know it all depend on the person but it is nice to talk with someone about their workday or job and not have it be the same crap you deal with day in and day out. Ya know variety in conversation.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:

-For some reason there were women (still the guys still outnumbered the ladies) there but with the exception of a few, most of them were stern and serious (until you get some liquor in them).

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
There were some really cool ladies there that actually weren't stuck to there employees. I talked with this one woman who worked for the county and seeing how we really didn't know to many people there (except fellow employees), we sat at a table together. I think my employees avoided me though because they can't handle the liquor.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hve I seen personal ads on the internet? Nope. Do I have one? Nope. Do I want one? Not really.

Not looking for a date actually, and no, I doubt any of you can help with finding me a date... really. (The SD experience was humiliating enouh :p)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
-most of them were stern and serious (until you get some liquor in them).

RichmondJake said:
Is that politically correct?

What being Stern and serious at an APA meeting? Sure they are planners. :-0

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
Hey once they do have a couple of drinks they tend to open up more.

Too easy...must resist and not make obvious comment...

SkeLeton: What is this humiliating SD you speak of?

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
tumbleweed.gif

Okay donk... I just don't get you. Are the women in your area *that bad*? Because you are smart, witty and from what I remember of our mini-cyburbia lunch, you are pretty cute. So I just can't figure it out why you are still single... unless your standards are astronomical.

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite posted
So I just can't figure it out why you are still single... unless your standards are astronomical.

Just shy around people I don't know very well and frustrated with being turned down.

For standards I am realistic on looks and maybe a bit high on the intellect. Which makes dating here difficult.

Thanks for the compliments.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Well... as for personal updates, things are looking pretty good for me right now...