• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Currently reading Suburban Nation

It's been about four days since I discovered this forum-- so a little late hello to all of you.

I am a proud Michigan Wolverine living in Southern California. This is my first time participating in an internet forum like this, and I must say that I am so glad to have found it.

I just picked up Suburban Nation at a bookstore a little while ago when I was randomly looking through the urban affairs section. I was an English major in college, and my interest in urban planning is fairly new; reading a book like Suburban Nation and postings like the ones at this site make me deepen my interest in urban planning more and more.

I look forward to learning much from you guys and also sharing some of my thoughts with you as well.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from south central!

Indiana B-)

If you like existentialism, you might want to try Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities once you finish Suburban Nation. It will be a nice change of pace, and you can finish it in a few hours. It has an aftertaste that is quite pleasant.

Welcome aboard!

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome, from the Mitten State, yup, your old home for a while, while you were at the U of M studying English.

I hope you find lots of interesting threads here and can participate more in the future.

Welcome again.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from Chicago!!!

I am a double alum (if that's a real thing) of the University of Michigan - BA & MUP

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from down river of Biscuit and Gedunker.

Q. Why would anyone move away from Michigan ?

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia from a long long distance.:)
Hope you have a good time here.

And just four days of lurking before taking the plunge!!
You are amongst the fastest. :-}

uh-oh!

plankton said:
A great big Green & White welcome for you.

These must have been the first kind words I've heard from a sparty. And I thought all State people were unkind barvarians; clearly I was wrong. It's good to receive a warm welcome from a Michigander; I miss that place very much. Thanks Plankton. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: go blue!

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome. I don't think a 5 day lurk warrants an apology, you'll find many new posters in the Introduction thread wait much longer.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Suburban Nation - an every planners must have !!!! Easy read, in depth and excellent illustrations. Welcome, welcome, welcome. American Wolverine in SoCal.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
chihwunk said:
Are you...in Australia?

Yes, he is.

We have many international (outside the US, that is) members here. REM is Australian, JNL is from New Zealand, Doitnow! is from India, and there are many Canadians (but the only Canadians that count as international are the Quebecois;-))

Rem

Cyburbian
chihwunk said:
in Australia?
Yes I am. Here is a link to my City's website . The webcams are are my favourite links on the site.

There are few other Australians that use the board but they tend to be less regular than me. As well as the nationalities mendelman mentioned, one of our favourite Cyburbians is in Chile. I think Ireland and England are also occasionally represented.