• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

GIS Custom icon/symbols for ArcGIS

The District

Cyburbian
Anyone know how to import an image into ArcGIS for use as a point symbol? I'm making a map of different retail chains and want to use their logo to represent the location of each store.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
Anyone know how to import an image into ArcGIS for use as a point symbol? I'm making a map of different retail chains and want to use their logo to represent the location of each store.
Seems like fewer keystrokes to just insert a .jpg and resize.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Do you have the images saved as a .style set? You have to do this the same way you create fonts. If you don't have font making software it gets somewhat tough. Search the help files for .style creation or check out the style manager in the tools tab. Good luck.

The District

Cyburbian
Thanks for all the responses. This process is actually pretty easy, but good directions are hard to find. However, the first three pages of this tutorial lay it out pretty simply. Basically, just drop a BMP (it MUST be a BMP, no other image types will work) into ArcGIS's "Picture" folder within the "Styles" folder. If your image file isn't in this format, just get something like Paint.NET and save the image as a BMP. It also wouldn't hurt to clean it up or crop it while you're in there. The rest of the instructions will take you through the process.