• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Customer, Client or JackA$$ of the week

donk

Cyburbian
This is related to "Kablooies the Vent Blew" from the shelter.

This is really funny, and too messed up not to be true

The neighbourhood organized and sent copies of letters that I had sent to a few directly involved property owners to all of the property owners in the area. An older gentleman shows up in my office to voice a concern about the type of people who may inhabit the residential care facility. He was adamant that he did not want to see any recovering alcoholics living in his neighbourhood. Now here is the funny part, when I first saw him you could tell he is a hard drinker (red nose, blood vessels close to skin and his physique) as he got closer you could smell the rye coming off of him and here is the topper it was only 10:00AM. So here is a guy that needs a nip in the morning to make it to my office woried about the type and quality of people that are going to move into his neighbourhood. Sheesh.

Anyone else have good clients visit the office this week?

donk

Cyburbian
He was wearing mill blues, so that may be an option, but he was pretty old as the mill bought out most of the old guys two years ago.

It was his arguments and logic that made me chuckle after he left.

Last edited:

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
It's amazing the extra baggage that you have to accommodate when evaluating requests, i.e., conditional uses. Similar baggage that aggravated you, donk, along with political fervor were 2 of the many reasons that drove me out of the Planning Dept. in the Big Easy. I'm glad to be a Planner in the private sector now.

I think that guy is a jackass. Booze clouds one's reality at 10:00 a.m.

Last edited:
I had a 10:00 a.m. meeting downtown this morning. I drove all the way from suburban hell where my office is located only to get a call at 9:50 a.m. from my prime consultant to find out the meeting had been cancelled. HELLO????? Do you think she could have called me a little earlier?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Letter Writer

Actual letter with appropriate names protected:

"16. Just a couple years ago (*) came to 4125 all hot and bothered because a glass bottle in lake. Now so muddy the fountain is over worked. (*) has not spoke to us since BEFORE son stole bicycle."

and

"18. Has there been any provision for a set-aside area for a playground--recreation area or is it all to take place in sewage contaminated (**) Creek. JUST THREE YEARS AGO IT, THE CREEK, WAS CONDEM (sic) FOR THE SUMMER AND A L L aquatic life KILLED. HAS THAT BEEN FORGOTTEN????????????"

The writer sold the ground to (*): he could have protected himself through the deed, but now wants me/Plan Comm'n to do it for him. Arrrrrgggghhhhhh.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We have a certain junk collector that has had years of violations. Finally this sumer the alderman of the district wanted action once and for all. Compliance letters were sent. He ignored them. Citiations were issued, and his response was "what's this all about?", then he repeatedly skips out on his court dates, so last night the judge issued summary judgement for about $10,000 in forfeitures. Apparently the cops served him with it and he flipped out. So today he's in demanding that we issue him a fence permit immediately, rather than have it get entered into the FIFO stream. What an a-hole.

donk

Cyburbian
I'll add another one, that I saw today when running errands.

We have a particular council member who has been on an offsite sign rampage, screaming at us and the Public Works Department to get them removed from all City properties/Roads. Low and behold, who do I see putting up signs in the ROW for his business. I think I may have some signs to take down as requested.

To make this even better, this is the council member who threw the table at me, and has been a general PITA to me since he was elected.

Habanero

Cyburbian
donk said:
I'll add another one, that I saw today when running errands.

We have a particular council member who has been on an offsite sign rampage, screaming at us and the Public Works Department to get them removed from all City properties/Roads. Low and behold, who do I see putting up signs in the ROW for his business. I think I may have some signs to take down as requested.

To make this even better, this is the council member who threw the table at me, and has been a general PITA to me since he was elected.

I think those signs should be destroyed. That's just too funny.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We have a chair of a citizens trails advisory committee who is... well, self-important. Just mention the name to anyone in our county gov't and they say "A##hole..." He has been trying to get members of our team to attend the meetings of another committee he's on. He is playing us against each other. Hey, we talk. He got caught this week. The newest member of our team ( a P.E. who he thought he could "sweet-talk") royally reamed him out. heeheehee...