• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Cybubria posting activity (was: Is it me?!?)

Dragon

Cyburbian
Is it me?!?

I have been thinking, is it me, or is there less traffic on Cyburbia than usual? Not specifically today either, but over the last couple of weeks.

Could it be that we are working harder then when I first started visiting Cyburbia back in September? If that is the case, what is wrong with us? :-c

Budgie

Cyburbian
You may be on to something. I think some of the heavy posters in the clube hierarchy have been sitting on the sidelines for awhile. I've slowed my posting abit, which must be a relief for the moderators.

Michele Zone

BANNED
A number of forums I am in have been "quieter than usual". And notes from friends have been "absent" from my inbox as well. Maybe it is some kind of Temporal Convergence or something. Maybe it is all the problems with internet virii. Maybe it is SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Maybe it is a massive hangover from some wild New Year's Eve party (that I must have missed)....

The Irish One

I think you're right but Dan would best know (stats and all). I'm dying to discuss the nuclear threat.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I too have noticed things have kinda slowed down.

It could be attributed to the fact that many of our fellow Cyburianites recently took new jobs and as a result may have less time to POST aka Slack

SGB

Cyburbian
Dragon said:
Could it be that we are working harder then when I first started visiting Cyburbia back in September? If that is the case, what is wrong with us? :-c
Dragon -

If you are not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Pick up the pace, Mr/Ms 0.15 posts per day!

;-)

My workload has picked up significantly so I don't have the time to post as much as I have in the past.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Dragon -

;-)
Hey SGB, I'm doing my best to pick up the activity. I'm up to 0.59 ppd. That is up from 0.48 at the start of 2004. The hard part of it is I was a registared user (Registered: 2002-07-09) for well over a year before I began to post "regurlarly"

I'm working on it SGB.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I'm wondering if I'm on anyone's ignore list. If I were, you probably wouldn't respond anyway, huh.

Dragon

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Dragon -

;-)

Don't make fun, I'm shy. :-D

Actually, I'm new to the profession, being that I graduated in Dec. So I'm doing more learning then commenting on professional topics. And to the community forms, well there......I have no excuse.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Plus the post hacking jerk, Rumpy Tuna, was given the boot. Man, what kind of sick, twisted monster he was;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
Lately, my posting has diminished considerably because of my increasing workload.
Same here. I've been pulling double duty and have recently started working part time in another division thus greatly reducing my slack time.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Workload + new temp = less posting

Habanero

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
Lately, my posting has diminished considerably because of my increasing workload.
Uh-hunh, suuure that's your excuse. It's not because you and yours are busy making other important decisions? That's my excuse- most of my spare time is spent trying to contact the last of the wedding vendors and get everything in order for the big day. :f:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Big Easy King said:
Same here, trying for more K.I.S.S. postings/responses.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
City Budget work= less posting, more drinking, and severe headaches.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We fired an employee last week. I'm now doing my duties and his (and starting the recruitment process for two positions). I'll be quiet around here for awhile.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Uh-hunh, suuure that's your excuse. It's not because you and yours are busy making other important decisions? That's my excuse- most of my spare time is spent trying to contact the last of the wedding vendors and get everything in order for the big day. :f:
That has factored in as well. :-D

Habanero

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I fired an employee last week. I'm now doint my duties and his (and starting the recruitment process for two positions). I'll be quiet around here for awhile.
Does that mean you're hiring? o:) Everyone knows how I love Canada!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Budgie said:
I'm wondering if I'm on anyone's ignore list. If I were, you probably wouldn't respond anyway, huh.
I'm keeping an eye on you! ;) Just kidding. I don't have anyone on my ignore list and I have been damn busy of late. So, much fewer posts from me these last 8 months or so. Most are from home at night or on the weekend.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I don't get to visit as often. I am one person in a two person office. Most days I am gasping for air and many days my brain is to full to be witty!. I don't look for the office to be fully staffed for a few months.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
New job, ramping up the workload and filling in the voids with 'marketing calls' (ugg). I lurk quickly between tasks but dont post much from the office.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i was absent most all of last week due to work load and work load. with a staff of me and the work of 2 to 3 people on my desk, less time to post :-(

nerudite

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Yup... We'll have a planner position open and a long range planner open. I'll post it in the kiosk when it's an official recruitment. The Planner position we'll hire right away, the Long Range Planner is a new position so it has to go through the long and tedious classification process. So look for the recruitment in the next few days. :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I was just gone this weekend on a short trip to Argentina (Bariloche), hence I wasn't active from friday until now. Damn... I keep thinking it's sunday! :p

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I haven't had enough time to post lately since I am trying to find an interesting town to live in since we are moving to the north in about 60 days (I know very little about PA) and act like nothing new has happened in my life at work (I haven't told them yet).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have noticed a bit of a slow-down lately, too. Or at least it seems that way. Maybe it is because we don't talk about lesbians that much anymore. :(

As for myself, I have been very busy for the past couple of months. This is the week from hell - I have not been able to visit all day, until I got home. Don't expect to see me around much at all this week.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Posting statistics:

08/2001 1572
09/2001 415
10/2001 647
11/2001 170
12/2001 194

01/2002 371
02/2002 618
03/2002 980
04/2002 1081
05/2002 937
06/2002 670
07/2002 2560
08/2002 3780
09/2002 1869
10/2002 2836
11/2002 2792
12/2002 2908
01/2003 6020

02/2003 4048
03/2003 3929
04/2003 3162
05/2003 4045
06/2003 5118
07/2003 6147
08/2003 4716
09/2003 6506
10/2003 8790
11/2003 6976
12/2003 6157

01/2004 7001

I don't have any statistics for pre-vBulletin Cyburbia Cafe posts.

H

Cyburbian
Despite the chart and numbers, it does “feel” slower. For me it is because the absence of the active threads viewer on the new face. Hence the activity is not as visible for us non-mods (I say this because I don’t know whether or not you mods are able to view the activity and I assume you can).

I do like the look of the new face though, don’t get me wrong.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We really can't. The Threadspotting feature was a hack that doesn't work in vBulletin 3.0.

There is an XML/RSS publication feature, but there is no documentation by the folks from vBulletin yet. I"m not familiar with XML or RSS, so I can't get it working without a lot of help.

SGB

Cyburbian
H said:
Despite the chart and numbers, it does “feel” slower. For me it is because the absence of the active threads viewer on the new face. Hence the activity is not as visible for us non-mods (I say this because I don’t know whether or not you mods are able to view the activity and I assume you can).
An alternative approach is to bookmark the new posts URL.

Michele Zone

BANNED
My impression is that Cyburbia "feels" slower in part because the activity is more distributed: Usually, the vast majority of activity is in the FAC and there is an occasional thread in the "serious" forums (Make no small plans, etc). Here lately, the "serious" forums have steady traffic, and it seems to have bled off traffic from the FAC. I think when "all" the traffic is in the FAC, it feels more heavily trafficked than when it is broken up to many forums.

But I think this is a good sign. It suggests to me that Cyburbia has become more of a community. But I suspected that anyway, with the arrival of some new "foreign" members. People have to feel accepted and safe before you can benefit from their professional advice (or whatever you want to call it). People spent more time in the FAC when they were still trying to socialize and establish that personal connection. Now that it is established, they can share their "serious" ideas more readily and feel that they will be heard, and that people will respect their right to their own opinion even if they don't agree with it. Etc, yadda yadda. blah blah blah.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Winter and spring are normaly busy time for planners with everyone wanting to get their crap approved or whatever before the spring summer building season.

Its been a zoo here thus less time to plot to take over the world ;-)

donk

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I know of another place in Canada that will be hiring soon too. ;)

There are also jobs in Moncton opening up, the entire Department quit.

As for posting, I think I am about average for my posting level.

I am slacking way more now that the end is near. My fear is that I'll go the way of Jeff and others that just disappear when I take my new job.

jestes

Cyburbian
:-D Dragon works for me and if he doesn't get his butt off of Cyburbia and actually get some work done around here his 0.15 post per day will be the least of his problems.

:-D Just kidding Clong!

biscuit

Cyburbian
[OT] Has anyone else noticed the higher volume of lurker traffic we've had around here the last couple of weeks. Usually the number of visiters is about the same as the number of logged on members but lately there have been up to three times the that. Any theories as to why? [/OT]

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
biscuit said:
[OT] Has anyone else noticed the higher volume of lurker traffic we've had around here the last couple of weeks. Usually the number of visiters is about the same as the number of logged on members but lately there have been up to three times the that. Any theories as to why? [/OT]
Search Engine bots indexing the web.

Michele Zone

BANNED
My theory: People who come here as "guests," and who don't want to sign up as members, come because Cyburbia is "THE Planning Portal", not because they want to hear a bunch of strangers shoot the breeze in the FAC all day. Therefore, the significant increase in traffic in the "serious" forums where we actually discuss planning would give "guests" more worthwhile reading material, which would keep them around longer and tend to push the numbers up.

[pure BS] Or: Perhaps my many fans have discovered I am hiding out here under a pseudonym and have flocked here to watch all the action, as they wait with baited breathe to see what outrageous thing Michele will say or do next. "It's all about Michele." [/pure BS]

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Not that I have ever really been a super active poster, but I've been getting swamped, too. It seems that my boss has forgotten that I'm only part-time since I'm still in school. That and we have a broken Sign Ordinance that needs to be replaced and was poorly enforced for the past four years :eek:| ! I've got issues dealing with an engineer that has never done a subdivision plat before and a Subdivision Ordinance that takes a magic spell to decifer. I'm also slapping together countless maps and graphics and editing draft chapters for our comprehensive plan. I've also just assumed webmaster duties. And I'm supposed to take care of this with about 25 hours a week in the office :-c ! Somehow I'm supposed to balance this with 12 hours at school while working as a resident assistant on campus and hanging out with my fiance. Oh, and keep in mind that three of those semester hours are a Public Finance class renowned for killing many public administration students! (why did I choose that minor again? I keep forgetting...)

I will probably start posting more often as I near graduation and start preparing to set-up our planning department. (that's right, I'm a one man show!) I'll do my best to boost the posting on here. I've told pretty much everyone at school about the site.

God, too much stress... I need a beer! :b: :b: :b: :b: :b: :b: :-b

JNL

Cyburbian
Well I think between michaelskis, me and a few others on the job in the FAC things have picked up again! :)

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Search Engine bots indexing the web.
Actually, not entirely true... I've been watching it and there are tons more 'legitimate' visitors/lurkers (in addition to the spiders). Hey, Dan, with the new vbulletin can we get stats breaking out spiders from other visitors? Now that you broke out all those stats and the charts, we'll never get enough.

Michele Zone

BANNED
JNL said:
Well I think between michaelskis, me and a few others on the job in the FAC things have picked up again! :)
Yeah, well, it is a forum run by a "desperate for a date" young man and has many of his equally "desperate for a date" comrades on it. And you are some cutie-pie with an actual brain who dresses in nurses uniforms when you aren't a nurse and you say it isn't "kinky"! If they can get to their computer, they will talk to you no matter how busy and crisis-filled their day is. Talking to you is what gets them through their day. Post more pics. As long as they are not nudes, what harm can come from them circulating the Internet? ;)

I am done trolling. This has all been highly entertaining. My husband has been out of town for more than 2 months and I can't go looking for a guy yet cuz I am not so much as legally separated, much less divorced. Oh how I envy the "desperate for a date" crowd, who are at least free to try to do something about it. (Is "killing kittens" a hobby you can list on a job application???)

Later.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NOD NOTE: Lets all please avoid such personal attacks. Yellow card, MZ.

Michele Zone

BANNED
It wasn't meant as a personal attack, but I will dutifully note that my joke was in bad enough taste to offend one of the more outrageous members of the board and tone it down. Thank you for being kind about it.