• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cyburbia Death Match #7: Upper Penninsula v. Lower Penninsula

Which is better? Upper Penninsula or Lower Penninsula?

• Upper Penninsula

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Lower Penninsula

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
In Michigan, we have an Upper Penninsula and a Lower Penninsula.

Upper Penninsula: Small towns. Beautiful vistas of Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and Lake Superior. Quiet college towns like Marquette. Forests and more forests - great for snowmobiling, hunting, and wildlife viewing. Birthplace of Hereford and Hops. Peace. Quiet. Not too many people. Lots of snow. Isolation. Great skiing. Taquenenom Falls. Porcupine Mountains. Proximity to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Lower Penninsula: Economic opportunity. Jobs. Population centers. Easy access to medical care and commercial services. Gritty cities. Small towns. Great beaches on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Detroit Pistons. Detroit Red Wings. Michigan Wolverine football. Ann Arbor. Detroit. East Lansing. Traverse City.

Which is better?

donk

Cyburbian
The UP rules, where else could michigan out of doors find someone to give the recipe for and prepare squirrel manicotti on TV?

[STEREOTYPES] UPers seem to be the midwests equivalent to a newfie, not to bright, friendly, easy going and talk funny. [/STEREOTYPES]

Repo Man

Cyburbian
People from the UP are basically Wisconsinites with a Michigan address. We (Wisconsin) should just annex the UP and make it our own.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
UP, hands down. The Underpenninsula has some great dunes, and places like Traverse City, but the north is RUGGED. The forests are beautiful, especially in fall. Lake Superior is easily the best of the great lakes. Marquette can be a bit gritty, if that is your thing, and there is always De Noc if you want big cities and nightlife. ;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Upper, I hate the Wings- Hatcher is a traitor. ;) Perhaps it's really just my obsession with being closer to Canada.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Speakin' up for the Lower Peninsula...

Sure the UP has all that natural beauty, but the Lower Peninsula has accessible natural beauty. The whole west coast of Michigan is gorgeous with its towering dunes, picturesque lighthouses and cozy towns; the Lake Huron side is more rugged, less populated than the Lake Michigan side and emulates much of what you can find in the UP; the northern half of the LP is dotted with wonderful lakes for fishing and other recreation.

When people in Michigan say they're going "up north," they mean north of Saginaw, to the lakes and rivers of the northern LP; not north of Mackinaw.

Besides, the LP has been carrying the weight of the UP for 160 years. The UP's mineral resources are gone, and it's too cold and snowy for much else to exist there. The UP is about as economically viable as my left thumb.;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Don't know if I should vote b/c I've never been to the UP. I have family in Temperance, LP and Detroit, and, even though the scenery UP sounds nicer than what I've seen of the LP (As if that were really difficult), I'm the type that sticks with family. Make my vote Lower Peninsula.

Nero

I have lived in both the UP and Downstate,10 years in Munising, 2 years in Marquette and was 2 years stationed at the K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base.

The good folks of the UP like to think that they have cornered the market on the "up north" experiance and that the UP is nirvana. It is far from nirvana! And there are lot of places in the US and the Lower Peninsula that exceed the UP in beauty. For winter sports for example up-state New York has far superior skiing and snow sports not to mention MN, WI, and the western states.

My vote is for the Lower Peninsula, because there is much more to do and has just has much natural beauty.

plankton

Cyburbian
How did I spend 22 years living in MI (Detroit, Mt. Pleasant, E. Lansing, and Hamtramck) without ever visiting the UP? Two words: black flies.

Chalk up another vote up for the mitten.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I voted UP, but I love the LP as well. The Lake Michigan towns are great, and one of the best beaches in the world is Saugatuck Dunes (go during the off season - you can't swim, but you will probably have the beach to yourself). There are some fascinating cities in the LP, and every planner needs to experience Detroit.

Still I voted UP for the beauty, the ruggedness, and Isle Royale, which, while closer to Minnesota, is officially part of Michigan and the UP.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
difficult choice

Growing up in northeastern LP, I have a particular affinity for it over everywhere else in Michigan. I voted for LP, because once one gets north of the Saginaw north-south line, the UP and the northern LP are very similar: only small towns, great lakefronts, deer outnumber people about 7 to 1, and great rural life.

I would amend my vote to be for all of Michigan north of Saginaw.

Michigander exiled in Metro Chicago.

(but luckily still have a Great Lake to play in)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just voted for "da U.P."

Michael Stumpf, many thanx for the mention of De Noc. Not sure who else (if anybody) caught that.....

I agree with most of the replies. Both peninsulas have much to offer. Depends on what you want, what you need.

Living here in northwestern Ohio, in a bedroom suburb of Toledo, my house is one (1) mile south of Old State Line Road. The road follows the line of what was originally the Michigan - Ohio state line. Of course, the state line is now about twelve (10) miles north of me.

Ohio became a state in 1803. The northwestern corner of Ohio was slow to be settled because it was mostly swampland. It was referred to as the Great Black Swamp. (Years later, after the swamps were drained, the rich soil started producing some of the best crops in the world.)

Toledo was formed in the early 1830's, by merging a couple small villages together. Toledo was considered a strategic location because of (quite large and safe from large waves)
Maumee Bay, at the mouh of the Maumee River (largest river feeding the great lakes). The state of Ohio's surveyors drew the state line in such a manner that Toledo and Maumee Bay were all part of Ohio.

Michigan surveyors placed the line where I mentioned.....Old State Line Road. In their eyes, Toledo was in Michigan. There was even talk in Michigan of locating the University of Michigan at the mouth of Swan Creek.....in what is now downtown Toledo.

Eventually the state of Ohio and the territory of Michigan sent troops to the disputed area. There was actually some bloodshed.....a bloody nose from a punch or something like that. Oddly enough, the Ohio troops included a couple of gents with the names of One Stickney and Two Stickney. I have no idea if the senior Mr. Stickney kept on that tradition and named more kids Three, Four, etc. I do know that a major street in Toledo is Stickney Avenue.

The President of the United States settled the dispute by giving Maumee Bay and Toledo to Ohio.....and giving Michigan most of the Upper Peninsula AND a promise of statehood.

This is all true.....not the ramblings of some incoherent idiot. Check out "The Toledo War" on a Google search.

All in all, both states really "won". Toledo has been an industrial contributor (glass capitol of world, home of Jeep, auto parts capitol of world) for years. The U.P. was a huge copper mining center until the 1920's. It continues to be a big player with iron ore mining, forestry, and tourism.

And me.....I will stick around this NW Ohio area until I retire, and then move on to the Yoop-EEE.

Bear

boiker

Cyburbian
UP is more drinky

it's the only portion of michigan i've visited and i drank there and enjoyed it immensley. plus the weather was nice the lakes are clear and the people are...well the people are the salt of the earth type people.

Plus on the drive up I got to stop in Green Bay and pay homage to my team.

Weird ain't it? A Suburban Chicagoan who is a Packer fan?

Has the world gone topsy-turvey!?!?

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Re: UP is more drinky

jordanb said:
Isn't that an oxymoron?
i understand what you mean.

it doesn't have much meaning if i say i'm a hoffman estatsian or hoffman estater, or whatever. how about this

a resident of the greater chicago-naperville-joliet CMSA-ian.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: UP is more drinky

boiker said:
i understand what you mean.

it doesn't have much meaning if i say i'm a hoffman estatsian or hoffman estater, or whatever. how about this

a resident of the greater chicago-naperville-joliet CMSA-ian.
Isn't the "Chicago-Naperville-Joliet" thing the PMSA? Naperville and Joliet are in Chicago's PMSA anyway. I thought the CMSA was still "Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, IL-IN-WI CMSA".

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: UP is more drinky

jordanb said:
Isn't the "Chicago-Naperville-Joliet" thing the PMSA? Naperville and Joliet are in Chicago's PMSA anyway. I thought the CMSA was still "Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, IL-IN-WI CMSA".
not sure, saw a brief blurb about it in the daily herald. they asked aurora if it was jeolous that it wasnt included in the designation. aurora said no, but was later seen with napervilles boyfriend....and making sure that naperville saw everyhthing.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
People from the UP are basically Wisconsinites with a Michigan address. We (Wisconsin) should just annex the UP and make it our own.
The funny thing is, the UP was part of Wisconsin Territory.
It was given to Michigan ca 1835 in exchange for that territory relinquishing it's claim to Toledo, Ohio. (Toledo War)

Here's a map showing Wisconsin and Up as one contiguous territory. It's not labelled "Wisconsin" but I know I've seen one somewhere.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
all about the UP

I know this one is old... but I did not see it the first time.

Ok. YES this is not fair, because I was born and raised there. It is one of those places that is like another world. People are nice, polite, and they talk to each other. It has four seasons, almost always has a white Christmas, surrounded by large lakes, will thousands of little interior lakes, it has 3 state universities, and several community colleges, entire towns go to the HS foot ball games on cool fall nights, and everyone sits in the sun or splashes in the water at one of the many white sand beaches. You can sit at parks and watch the sail boats glide though the green tinted water, or camp in the woods and become one with nature.
In the winter, the hills in the northern, and western UP provide endless skiing opportunities, or one can spend hours sledding, snowmobile, ice skating, snow showing, or even the horse drawn sleigh ride though the country side.
The fall is a painters dream. The myriad of vistas provides images of color that would amaze even the most skeptical mind. The cool afternoons, walking though the woods, enjoying one of the many fairs, or shopping in one of thousands of local craft, gift, or antique stores. Marquette has architecture that would overwhelm many people. It is home to red sandstone buildings and St. Peter’s Cathedral, and the world’s largest wooden dome on the campus of NMU. It has everything from local hang out bars, to blues clubs, to dance clubs. And the courthouse was a movie star in the film Anatomy of a murder. The only thing more amazing than the town is the views it provides over the water. Lake superior can be so welcoming, and calm that you swear that god intended it to be glass, but then there are times when the lake wants you to know that it is in charge, and the waves plow into the break walls and water shoots up well over the light houses.

Upper Michigan is more than just a place, it is a piece of heaven.

OK, I am done. :) thank you.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Re: all about the UP

michaelskis said:
I know this one is old... but I did not see it the first time.

Ok. YES this is not fair, because I was born and raised there. It is one of those places that is like another world. People are nice, polite, and they talk to each other. It has four seasons, almost always has a white Christmas, surrounded by large lakes...
In the winter, the hills in the northern, and western UP provide endless skiing opportunities, or one can spend hours sledding, snowmobile, ice skating...

The fall is a painters dream. The myriad of vistas provides images of color that would amaze even the most skeptical mind. The cool afternoons, walking though the woods, enjoying one of the many fairs...

Lake superior can be so welcoming, and calm that you swear that god intended it to be glass, but then there are times when the lake wants you to know that it is in charge...

Upper Michigan is more than just a place, it is a piece of heaven.
Do you write for the Yooper Chamber of Commerce on the side?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear agrees with all that michaelskis has said about the U.P. And then some.....

Even though I reside in NW Ohio I get to the U.P. every year. Unfortunately, my chemo is keeping me away this year but it's also keeping me alive so I can return next year and many years after.

I plan to retire in the U.P., probably Marquette area. Since I'm a "cradle-robbing" Bear my wife will be working 15 years longer than me. I will get to fish and hike and bike ride while she works in a town that should have jobs because of its' size.

I don't want her to work too far from home but my inclination is to live near Lake Michigamme, about thirty (30) miles from Marquette.

michaelskis.....any advantages at looking at Escanaba instead of Marquette? I like to fish and I'm aware that Little Bay De Noc is filled with walleyes and other sport fish. (By the way, western Lake Erie is the "Walleye Capitol Of The World". Good fishing out there but it is a choppy and rough adventure.)

I also considered buying a business in Sault Ste. Marie about seven (7) years ago, but backed off because of the wife.

I also love the Upper Peninsula "Twin Cities", Houghton and Hancock. Vibrant, fun, close to very hilly areas (in NW Ohio the ants have the biggest hills). There is even a town on the lake that is called Gay, Michigan. Been to the bar in town a few times. Strong Scandanavian dialects spoken by the local fishermen. Name of the bar, of course: The Gay Bar.

I'll join you in working for the Upper Peninsula Travel & Tourism Bureau. You love it because you have lived it.....I love it because I want to live it. (and I will)

P.S. - My Amish Sim City (fake map city drawn over a nearly forty year period) is called De Noc, located on the shores of Big Bay De Noc.

Yoopers rule !!!

Bear

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Count me among those who make an annual trip to the UP. Often it is right around this time, when the Perseids are falling from the sky by the hundreds. More often, it is in October when the maples and birch pull off their stunning displays of color against the azure blue background of Lake Superior.

plankton

Cyburbian
There's lots of leaf peepers in this group. I think that's great.

I have family in Greenville, ME and love to go there in the fall.

Reading these posts, I guess I left Michigan before having a chance to appreciate what the UP had to offer. I remember places like Grayling and Clare being cold...oh....so...c-c-cold...

I have been to Empire & Sleeping Bear Dunes a few times though and consider TC to be a pretty sweet town.

Detroit has I-94, I-96, I-696, I-75, the lodge, hwy 23, I-275, and 401 through Windsor (the best of them all), and of course the Lions. So naturally my vote is still with the LP.

Bangorian

UP ALL DA WAY, Ya Know?

My vote is for the north side of the bridge... But mostly for the Keewenaw and Isle Royale.

Grew up about ten miles north of the MI/IN/OH Line - Southern Michigan has its charms, but the UP can't be beat.

But then again, I now live in Maine and love it - so I may be biased to places with rocky shores, rolling hills, isolated villages and miles of undeveloped forests.

Status
Not open for further replies.