• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cyburbia "referral" links

Messages
7,649
Points
29
I sent a referral link to someone and they wrote back that it calls up an amusing error (file not found) page. Well, my own referral link does the exact same thing for ME, yet it presumably works because I have credit for referring Quijote. My thought is that it does that because the link is so you can join and I am already a member (his link also called up an error page for me, but, hey, I am also a member).

Can any of the more experienced Mods cast a little light on the question? Is there some way to check the link to make sure there isn't an error in the code? I don't think there is but I don't claim to have tons of technical expertise. :-D

Thanks in advance.
 

maximov

Cyburbian
Messages
137
Points
6
me, too!

The people I sent links to had the same experience... should I just tell them to join from the main page? Thanks.
 

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,443
Points
34
maximov said:
The people I sent links to had the same experience... should I just tell them to join from the main page? Thanks.

Yes, have them join and become assimilated into the "Throbbing Brain"
 
Messages
7,649
Points
29
giff57 said:
Yes, have them join and become assimilated into the "Throbbing Brain"
She intends to, but that doesn't really answer the question: What is up with the "referral" links that direct you to an "error" page??? Apparently, ALL of the referral links do that. That is a deterrant to anyone wanting to refer people and also get credit for the referral. Why shouldn't she (or others) get credit for having folks join and get "assimilated"?
 

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,443
Points
34
Michele Zone said:
She intends to, but that doesn't really answer the question: What is up with the "referral" links that direct you to an "error" page??? Apparently, ALL of the referral links do that. That is a deterrant to anyone wanting to refer people and also get credit for the referral. Why shouldn't she (or others) get credit for having folks join and get "assimilated"?
Damned if I know.
 
Top