• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Food / drink 🍗 Cyburbia Snack food exchange

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Swap two bags of some regional variety of snack foods? Sure, count me in.
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

Tell you what, I'll even run the event.
Private message me the following information and I'll pair you up with someone from a different state or region:
1. (real) name and mailing address
2. list any food allergies you might have
3. list any popular style of snack foods you can't stand eating (e.g. NO PORK RINDS FROM HILLBILLIES PLEASE!)

Depending on the level of participation, we'll keep this open for a week or so and then afterwards I'll private message who you've been paired up with after the close date.

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
I'm in! Someone here will tell you that I use bags of potato chips as packing material when I send SS gifts.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Just don't force me to eat boiled peanuts... I can't get past the unnecessary texture issues. Also, I am happy to have a couple people. I can't imagine it will cost me all that much to send some bags to people. I have a couple local options that I want to share.

PS. This is better than a Secret Santa. I damn well better get some BBQ chips though.... I'm just saying.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
So has the morphed into regional/state/local snack items or still keeping it to BBQ potato chips as first requested?

PS...I can throw in the beer, if you like.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I LOVE this swap! Of course, I've got stupid allergies so it'd be a challenge to find the right fit for me but if you don't mind me giving my share to my family to snack on, I'm in!

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm just sayin' no to BBQ potato chips. However Mrs. P & The girl loves them.

I'll join in on the fun I reckon

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So has the morphed into regional/state/local snack items or still keeping it to BBQ potato chips as first requested?

PS...I can throw in the beer, if you like.
This has morphed into a more inclusive regional/local/state snack item swap. But hey, if you really really want bbq chips I'll be sure to let whomever I pair you up with know that. But you gotta PM me your info if you want to participate.

So far I have received official PM responses from WSU, kms, MD Planner, and RandomPlanner, and awaiting to hear from Planit, Hink, and WYP. Who else wants to play? Let's make this as big as we can.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Pretty sure if I sign up @Maister will just rig it so he gets his bacon flavoured crackers again ;-)
No I chose names completely by random and yours just happened to get picked by me....Damn, foiled again.

You HAVE TO participate. Whoever gets a Canadian like you (and no, it wont be me) can taste bacon crackers for the first time in almost 20 years!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
When I first started at my office our vending machines stocked Coffee Crisps. Those were heady days!

There is a candy store near me that sells them but I haven't been in there in a long time. I may need to stop back in...

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm in. I'll find some Poore Brothers BBQ for Hink and maybe throw in some cactus candy.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Okay, the one-week window is closed. I will be pairing folks up today and will notify who your exchange partner is (along with other special information in some instances) via private message.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
What exactly are the parameters of the exchange? Two bags? A dollar amount? Any sort of local specialty? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am going to send two bags of chips. Likely BBQ chips, because that is what I wanted originally. It will likely cost me more in shipping than the purchase of the bags... I am looking at maybe $7 worth of chips and $7 for shipping maybe? You don't need packing peanuts :)

Maybe I will throw in some other local candy or something, so I am looking at around $25 maybe? I certainly would say that you would expect to receive two bags of something. Otherwise no rules?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What exactly are the parameters of the exchange? Two bags? A dollar amount? Any sort of local specialty? Inquiring minds want to know.
Two snacks. The idea is to exchange some brand of thing that is available locally or regionally. So something like Lays potato chips that are available all over are not the goal. Ideally looking for a regional/local brand of snack or flavor available in your area.

In terms of dollar amounts, we haven't really set any - these are packages of snack foods, after all. I mean if someone wants to send caviar I suppose they could, but don't be disappointed if you end up getting a couple bags of Utz mustard pretzels in return.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Two snacks. The idea is to exchange some brand of thing that is available locally or regionally. So something like Lays potato chips that are available all over are not the goal. Ideally looking for a regional/local brand of snack or flavor available in your area.

In terms of dollar amounts, we haven't really set any - these are packages of snack foods, after all. I mean if someone wants to send caviar I suppose they could, but don't be disappointed if you end up getting a couple bags of Utz mustard pretzels in return.
Man, Utz mustard pretzels sound good. I need to take a tums first though... ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Man, Utz mustard pretzels sound good. I need to take a tums first though... ;)
I've had Snyders of Hanover mustard pretzels, but never Utz. In fact, the only reason I know about the Utz snack food brand is that we used to have bags of them shipped in to military bases I was stationed at. Wise was another brand I frequently saw on base.

DVD

Cyburbian
I recently discovered our local brand Poore Brothers sold out to Utz. I will have to scour the stores for other local snack foods.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I cheated and am having the snacks sent directly from my preferred local snack producer to my Cyburbian giftee. Who knows... they may even make it there before Christmas!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah, we never set a deadline for this did we? May be tough to get this sorted before Christmas for me but will try my best.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I think it's understandable if things don't get sent out quite so quickly given the time of year AND the pandemic.

I know in my case we made our first trip to the grocery store in over a month on Friday and I don't plan on returning there (or to USPS or UPS) until sometime in January. We've bought snacks as gifts directly from this company for friends and relatives who have relocated to out of town each year over the past few years (there's nothing like a little taste of Detroit!) so we've got an account with them with discounted shipping and we know they usually ship pretty quickly.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've got to go to the store this weekend so I doubt it will get there by Christmas, but soon enough.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I've looked for local/ regional chips and can't find any so I'm sending goodies in the "snack food" category instead. I plan to send out this week but don't expect them to arrive before Christmas.

Thanks again for organizing this, @Maister and for the fun idea, @Hink !

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am going to try and get mine out in a day or two... this week is busy... I will do my best.

Last edited:
Does the victim person who gets my snacks supposed to know they're getting them from me?
If not, how to I get the USPS tracking# to the victim person?

(BTW, if it seems weird to get tracking for something as simple as snacks: the USPS gives our online stores free tracking with all shipments.)

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Does the victim person who gets my snacks know they're getting them from me?
If not, how to I get the USPS tracking# to the victim person?
Yeah, we'll know the packages have arrived when folks post about it here. Have some faith the Universe will unfold as it should (and if not we can try to remedy things later on)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
This week has been busy for me, so my snacks will be going out next week. Sorry for the delay, but they will be NYE snacks, which is probably about right.

Planit

Cyburbian
Gonna try & get out this weekend to take care of my victims stuff. Need to go to a certain place for a better selection of 'local' goods. I won't include the pickled pigs feet, they're messy.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I just placed my order from a local store that sells and ships only locally made/produced items, so now I feel all good about myself, supporting local snack producers plus the local store. Just one sec while I pat myself on the back . . . :roflmao:

Ok now that my humble brag is over :r: . . . my recipient should receive the items in 2-3 business days! Maybe before Christmas! :D:D:D

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Sent mine and looks like one of two has been delivered.
I am the lucky recipient! Thank you! I really like the plain BBQ ones. The pulled pork may be too much for me, but my kids loved them.

My packages are going to go out this week, but with the holiday, I would imagine my victim(s) won't get them until after Christmas. Hopefully they can be a New Year's Eve snack...