• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Cyburbia turns 25!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Well, sort of. The 25th anniversary of the Cyburbia Forums will be March 24, 2021. However, the web site that would eventually become Cyburbia first went live in October 1994. I can't remember the exact date, but I do remember red fall foliage outside the windows of the computer lab in Hayes Hall on the UB South Campus. On one of those crisp October days, I "unofficially" uploaded and installed the NCSA HTTPd web server software to the University at Buffalo School of Architecture and Planning email server, and made a basic home page for the school.

The biggest part of the web site was a curated directory to the planning and architecture-related web sites called PAIRC -- the Planning and Architecture Internet Resource Center.

header_pairc.gif

There weren't many web sites related to the built environment in the mid-1990s, but PAIRC had links to most of what was out there. PAIRC quickly became popular, and it attracted a lot of traffic to port 8080 of the arch.buffalo.edu mail server.

When the powers that be found out about the web site and PAIRC, I thought I was going to be kicked out of school. Instead, I got a graduate assistantship. for which I'm eternally grateful. I also got the green light to make an official UB SA&P site, and continue working on PAIRC. In March 1996, I installed a primitive message board script called WWWBoard (try it out!), and what would eventually become the Cyburbia Forums was born.

When I graduated from the Master of Urban Planning program in May 1996, I took PAIRC with me, registered the cyburbia.org domain name after seeing the word "Cyburbia" in an article in Wired, and the rest is history.

header_main.gif

I'll write a bit more later. In the meantime, to the members of Cyburbia who made the site what it is today, thank you. This place wouldn't exist without you. :)