• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Cyburbian You'd Like To Meet Most

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Funny, I forgot about this thread!

I'm borrowing ZG's answer from 2003: any hot cornfed single men ;)

It worked for me! (Although I practically had to hold another goddess at gunpoint to get her on board for my plot...:-$)

Oh wait, I don't think RJ was cornfed; maybe he had merlot in his baby bottles... ;-)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Prying open an old thread....

And adding beach_bum, ‎CPSURaf, Hink Planner, Otis, kjel, TerraSapient, and ursus to my list.

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm "trending" towards the old guard: Otis, ofos, JNA, BUN, oh maybe Dan and Cardinal....Otterpop.... who else is a baby boomer?

beach_bum

Cyburbian
And adding beach_bum, ‎CPSURaf, Hink Planner, Otis, kjel, TerraSapient, and ursus to my list.

I heard something about the APA conference being in ATL in 2014. I may be able to get funding to go to that an go to my first national conference...if my situation is the same now, then...unfortunately I never venture to the Redneck Rivera when in the sunshine state visiting family.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Right back at you.... I strongly support your love of wine, and would probably enjoy a good conversation about the merits (or lack thereof of oak).

As a note, I did have a Hess Collection Chardonnay 09 and liked it, so I don't completely hate Hess.... :D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm "trending" towards the old guard: Otis, ofos, JNA, BUN, oh maybe Dan and Cardinal....Otterpop.... who else is a baby boomer?

Nope. 1966 = Generation X. Baby boomers didn't watch MTV as teenagers.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian

I consider myself a baby boomer ('63). Oddly, my husband, who was born the same year, says he identifies more with Gen X. Go figure.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Ursus and I share a love for a certain lake on the Idaho-Utah border. And he is one of the Cyburians closest to me.

So I would say Ursus.

Maybe one summer weekend we can have a mini-western Stanfest on the shores of Bear Lake. Keeping in mind that we likely would have our kids in tow, I suppose our Stanfest would entail milk shakes, barbecued meat and surreptitious oogling of the young female tourists and locals. Maybe go wild and zip along on jetskis.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Ursus and I share a love for a certain lake on the Idaho-Utah border. And he is one of the Cyburians closest to me.

So I would say Ursus.

Maybe one summer weekend we can have a mini-western Stanfest on the shores of Bear Lake.

That's a DATE big fella!

I have this dream that one day the Nat'l APA conference will be in SLC, and I'll force you all to stay on an extra two-days up at my SIL's cabin at the lake. THAT would be 48 hours to remember. :D

I'm going to the Nat'l in LA this coming spring and hoping to meet some Cyburbians in person.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

So I would say Ursus.

Maybe one summer weekend we can have a mini-western Stanfest on the shores of Bear Lake. Keeping in mind that we likely would have our kids in tow, I suppose our Stanfest would entail milk shakes, barbecued meat and surreptitious oogling of the young female tourists and locals. Maybe go wild and zip along on jetskis.

I like this as a USU Alum. :)
I didn't spend enough time there. :(
30 yrs ago there was an ice cream place that was worth the visit.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"

right back at you buddy. If you coming to the Bay Area this christmas you might need to give me a ring, I will be in the Bay at the time :)

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Maybe you can meet at Macy's.

Sorry, off-topic: I think it would be truly great if The Macy's Star could become a coded "Cyburbian" signal for conferences, etc. Or a coded answer. You compliment planners when you meet them on their clothing, looking them in the eye; a Cyburbian will answer "Thanks, I picked it up at Macy's in SLO".

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I have only met one fellow Cyburbian and we had a blast... well I had a blast. I'm assuming implanner had fun too ;)

I would love to meet everyone! I'll be sitting out here on my little rock in the middle of the ocean for a while, so get your booties in the sky and come for a visit.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Sorry, off-topic: I think it would be truly great if The Macy's Star could become a coded "Cyburbian" signal for conferences, etc. Or a coded answer. You compliment planners when you meet them on their clothing, looking them in the eye; a Cyburbian will answer "Thanks, I picked it up at Macy's in SLO".
How did you know that I was planning to bring a Macy's bag to the Stanfest?!?

kms

Cyburbian
I'd like to meet ursus. I've had a rough couple of days, and the next few weeks will be stressful. I could use a hug. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm an oldster too, 1957.

Yeah, sorry, the "57" kinda gives it away, you're an old fart, too. You're in the old bunch I'd like to meet.

Dan, didn't mean you were of the old group. Just an afterthought that after listing the old contingent, I'd like to meet you.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
[OT]
Now that is a gallery we need.... Cyburbians in front of Macys....
Are those going to the laefest going to be near a Macys?:D

If I read the thread right Teh Laefest is in Holland, MI
How could they have a Laefest in a town without a Macy's ? :r: :lmao: [/OT]

Richmond Jake

Honey, think San Antonio TX. Remember, now? I know, our memories go as time passes...:loveeyes:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I am willing to wait for the 2013 APA conference in Chicago Laefest.

kalimotxo

Cyburbian
Will be meeting a fellow NC cyburbian tomorrow for lunch!

There are more NC Cyburbians than I realized. I now know of 4 regular posters - myself not included - and I'm sure there are many others. I'd be a lot more likely to attend an NC Laefest than in one of those flyover states...

Tide

Cyburbian
There are more NC Cyburbians than I realized. I now know of 4 regular posters - myself not included - and I'm sure there are many others. I'd be a lot more likely to attend an NC Laefest than in one of those flyover states...

Now that you make 5 that's quorum. We could plan something for the Raleigh area. I don't know which cyburbians are from Charlotte, you don't hear that city discussed much on this board.

Rygor

Cyburbian
I've only met one Cyburbia: HomerJ. Cool guy. I'll be meeting my second next week for happy hour...Brocktoon. :h: :beers:

kalimotxo

Cyburbian
Now that you make 5 that's quorum. We could plan something for the Raleigh area. I don't know which cyburbians are from Charlotte, you don't hear that city discussed much on this board.

Agreed. Assuming my new place survives Irene, I'm in.

Richmond Jake

Will be meeting a fellow NC cyburbian tomorrow for lunch!

You know I'm on your list, just too embarrassed to say so.

Agreed. Assuming my new place survives Irene, I'm in.

Pictures or it didn't happen...perhaps a picture of all ya'll in front of a macy*s? :wine: ;)

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Pictures or it didn't happen...perhaps a picture of all ya'll in front of a macy*s? :wine: ;)

Agreed, is it to much ask that ya'll wear the planning uniform too. ;) :lmao:

Whoa! Lots of demands here, we were not planning on a macy's run-but there is one not too far, we shall see.

Yes! I have tons of ideas for places...Tylers at the American Tobacco Campus, big boss brewery...busy bee cafe. I hope ya'll like good beer-its hard to find a bad local brew!

Rygor

Cyburbian
Whoa! Lots of demands here, we were not planning on a macy's run-but there is one not too far, we shall see.

Yes! I have tons of ideas for places...Tylers at the American Tobacco Campus, big boss brewery...busy bee cafe. I hope ya'll like good beer-its hard to find a bad local brew!

You should all go to Fullsteam Brewery in Durham. My cousin Dave works there. :b:

Planit

Cyburbian

Well it was just Tide & I at last years NCAPA conf during a tropical storm (and he was driving back and forth) so no laefest was had.

I know b_b is not coming to NCAPA, but what about the rest of your NC slackers? Raleigh might be more central another time.

I know there have been certain catch-phrases to be said, but it light of the current line of thinking, here's an option:

Cyb 1: Excuse me, have you seen Stan?
Cyb 2: No, I think he went to macy's.