• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Daily 4pm question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
After reading the threads on Post Planning Careers, it made me wonder about what happens between now and then, so in true Michaelskis tradition, I ask the daily 4pm question:

What are your top 5 overall goals in life and what steps are you doing to achieve them?

Budgie

Cyburbian
1. Survive
2. Procreate
3. Raise Health Off-Spring
4. Feel Good
5. Read

I'll spare everyone an explanation.

Oh, I almost forgot, invent a self cleaning bath tub.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
1. Start my own business.

2. Slowly create my evil empire.

3. Maybe run for political office.

4. Maybe travel to mars if we're flying out there by then.

5. I'm saving this spot for a special occasion or emergency.

How will I achieve them. Just like the turtle did.....

boiker

Cyburbian
5 Goals

1. Provide my wife absolute support through all and provide my children with reason and wisdom.
2. Attempt to fulfil all my dreams, and understand that success is taking a chance on those dreams.
3. Restore an Old "Money Pit" House.
4. Be an integral 'active citizen' as part of a neighborhood revitalization.
5. Get out of Debt
5a. Become "wing-master"

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
My five goals

1. To be the best person that I can be for God and everyone - keeping my strong faith.
2. To marry and sustain a loving life with Planderella - loving her more each day; compromising together. :h:
3. To be happy - having fun as much as possible.
4. To always have good health and well-being - exercising daily and eating healthier
5. To become an independent consultant or establish my own consulting firm and, thus, be financially comfortable- currently gaining experience in the private sector in order to do so.

:-}

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
1. finish my elusive masters degree
2. pay my debt off
3. go to law school
4. run for senate
5. global domination or become the Pope

Michele Zone

BANNED
1) Make up for my misspent youth, which I wasted on being Serious and Responsible.
2) Spend as much time in the sack as possible at some future date with someone worth doing such with, to make up for my misspent youth.
3) Launch 2 or 3 businesses as a fun way to pass the time between making love.
4) Find True Love somewhere along the way, perhaps with one of the folks ...never mind.
5) Get my homeschooling website revamped and moved to its new domain name before my doctor's appointment in Sacramento on the 23rd so I can hand my doctor a business card with the web address for the saline solution and my modifications to it and the research I told him about, which he expressed interest in sharing with other patients of his the last time I saw him. That way he can pass the info on to said other CF patients and we can start a health revolution.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
1. Raise my child to be independent, kind, and responsible.
2. Stay in this house and neighborhood, which I love, until the day I die.
3. Retire with enough money to do some travelling.
4. Take my son on some really cool vacations that he'll never forget.
5. See the current planning director ousted in utter humiliation for taking bribes or some such.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
1. Return to my home state and not move elsewhere, unless it is to a warmer climate. (Some how we keep moving further away and north.)
2. Obtain a degree in forensic anthropology.
3. Pay off debt.
4. Travel and often with the family.
5. Become a better partner to my husband and be the best damn parent I can be.

I am slowly working on two of these goals and looking at schools in my proposed new community.

ZG - I agree with your #1 and #5. However, I am not sure anyone will ever get to oust that person, he is too "in" with the developers. But I do want to be there when it happens.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
1. Move on to a new job offering more of what I enjoy the most.
2. Get a new girlfriend or wife... or maybe one or two of each.
3. Buy/rehab a nice house in a great neighborhood, and a few hundred acres in the country for a weekend retreat.
4. Get elected to the board of APA with a mandate to change their funding structure and priorities for spending.
5. Overthrow Rumpy once he conquers the world, to install myself as ruler of the universe. Of course, I will be kind and install Rumpy as the world-wide brewing czar, with his own Swedish Bikini Team to assist him.

JNL

Cyburbian
Hmm tough question...

1. Enjoy each day
2. (borrowed from Cardinal) Move on to a new job that offers more of what I enjoy most
3. Travel and see a bit of the world
4. Be a good friend
5. Some day, raise some children in an atmosphere of love, respect and fun

Not sure if these are my top 5 as there are others such as post-grad study and having my own house by the time I'm 30. And finding a partner to share a relationship based on honesty, respect and fun.

What am I doing about them? Well I am going to Europe in June/July and will visit friends in Germany, Sweden, Belgium and London, as well as seeing a few other places. Have increased regular savings amount and started planning (and scored invites to the above countries ;) ).

Must get back into more active job-hunting - it's too easy just to stay in the same place. Have been spreading the word with potentially useful contacts and trying to get a national position created for myself.

As for no. 5... well, seeing as I am single, that's some way off, but am in no hurry :)

Thanks for the prompt to think about goals! :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Inspired by many previous posts. not in any particular order

Demostrate/practice/deepen my faith.
Stablize and maintain my health.
Travel and see more of the US and Canada. (visiting family is a given)
Get into a relationship - even to the point of being M. (dreaming big)
Find a location and job that I can enjoy beyond retirement. (previous thread)

Michele Zone

BANNED
Cardinal, are you planning on keeping the girlfriend in town and the wife in the country? Or vice versa? And this third "other woman", with whom you are stepping out on the previous two, will this be a regular lunch time rendezvous? Or more like a travel companion when you go out of town on business?

More importantly, when you become Ruler Of The Universe, can I have all of California as my little kingdom..er, queendom?

And does anyone ACTUALLY want to know what I am doing to launch a business (or 3), etc? Nah, I didn't think so.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
This will change day to day I'm sure:

1) Be an A+ dad and husband and good person
2) Get that job [call me please], advance my career and job satisfaction, and be more financially secure
3) Do more creative things - music etc.
4) Travel
5) To be determined - May life bring me some new goals to strive for.

donk

Cyburbian
In no particular order

1) Lead an ethical and honest life, making sure my actions reinforce my words;
2) Find a nice woman (or two or three) to spend time with and who can put up with me;
3) Figure out what I am really here to do, I am pretty sure being a planner is not it.

I figure 4 and 5 will come clearly once items 1 through 3 are taken care of. This is one of my biggest problems right now, not being able to see where I want to be and how to get there. Not a good thing for a "planner".

JNL, maybe you need to take a trip to North America? With my move, a trip to NZ is out of the question this fall. When in Belgium have some Blanche de Brugge and Kriek's for me.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Good question....
1.- Find a S.O.
2.- Study and later get a job
3.- Travel around the world
4.- Read lots of books..
5.- raise a family... (this goes last because I friggin hate kids!)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I want to:

1) Create the best beer ever consumed by anyone ever!
2) Listen to lots of music
3) Spend summers in Germany traveling to Fests
4) See a lot of things and have good stories to tell
5) At the end, know that my life was never boring and that I had one hell of a life!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
For me:

1. Be a executive principle partner in a corporation or start my own with in 18 years
  2. Build my dream home in 10 years
  3. Find the woman of my dreams, marry her, have a family
  4. Become finical independent by the time I am 45
  5. Visit at least 35 countries by the time I am 50

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
5. Overthrow Rumpy once he conquers the world, to install myself as ruler of the universe. Of course, I will be kind and install Rumpy as the world-wide brewing czar, with his own Swedish Bikini Team to assist him.

[Evil Rumpy] You can try and stop me, but the force grows stronger with each day [/Evil Rumpy]

Wait, the SB Team, thanks Cardinal:b:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
1) Write a universally acclaimed book;

2) Develop said book into a screenplay for a universally acclaimed motion picture;

3) Cash out of this time-zone impaired place for seasonal homes in seasonal places;

4) Support causes I believe in from behind the scenes in seasonal places; and,

5) Invest well enough to endow a foundation to support one of those causes in perpetuity.

BTW: Cyburbia is great research for character development :-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Cardinal, are you planning on keeping the girlfriend in town and the wife in the country? Or vice versa? And this third "other woman", with whom you are stepping out on the previous two, will this be a regular lunch time rendezvous? Or more like a travel companion when you go out of town on business?
Why do I need to keep them separate? :p

More importantly, when you become Ruler Of The Universe, can I have all of California as my little kingdom..er, queendom?
All of California? Sorry, but I want to keep the northern part to myself. You can have the southern part, a chunk of Nevada, and maybe a strip along the Mexican border, though.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
1. Stay married
2. Get better at my job, never stop learning
3. Pay off stuff, try not to acquire new stuff that will have to be paid off
4. Get a PhD
5. Move to the UK eventually maybe

Pretty boring, actually.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'll do more than five (boundaries, I don't need no stinking boundaries)

In no particular order:

1. start and slowly expand a commercial/residential property management and development company.
1a. Be own boss, define my own working hours

2. purchase a house in a nice comfortable first ring suburb (Oak Park, IL)
2a. try to stay in said house for a long time

3. have kids and help them become better citizens and be more compassionate than their dad.

4. continue my loving, balanced relationship with my wife of 1 1/2 years

5. kill my hideous car commute (I wouldn't mind the distance/time, if only I didn't have to drive)

6. kayak, kayak, kayak

7. spend a week in the bush in Michigan's UP at least once every year

8. die at an age before any old people diseases manifest themselves (dementia, etc)

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This thread just made me realize how shallow I am. Damn you Michaelskis! ;)

jordanb

Cyburbian
1. Marry
2. Raise kids
3. Have fun.
4. Do something useful.
5. [This space intentionally left empty].

H

Cyburbian
1 Eat, then
2 Sleep, then
3 Procreate, then
4 Sleep, then
5 Repeat.

Only kidding of course. :-D

Michele Zone

BANNED
Cardinal said:
Why do I need to keep them separate? :p
Hey, if you can work it out with 2 women, more power to you. I just think life would probably be simpler if you could swear you were "just working" so they didn't start comparing notes, get jealous, blah, blah, blah.

Cardinal said:
All of California? Sorry, but I want to keep the northern part to myself. You can have the southern part, a chunk of Nevada, and maybe a strip along the Mexican border, though.
Define "northern california". I am in the SF Bay Area and plan on staying here. Is "northern California" inclusive of the Bay Area or is it further north? :):)

donk

Cyburbian
Chet said:
You say that like it is a bad thing. ;)

The first step is recognizing you have a problem.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Me at 25:
1. Alter prevailing social paradigms
2. End world hunger
3. Invent cheap nonpolluting fuel source
4. Marry Morgan Fairchild
5. Geee, just being the Best I can every day all day

Me at 40:
1. Wake up each morning not in too much pain or hung over
2. Hopefully not absorb too much criticism throughout most days
3. Really applying myself and getting that 4% payraise each year until retirement
4. Discover new and interesting sitcoms on tv while channel surfing
5. Achieve new levels of Truth by sampling not only more beers but BETTER beers

1. Raise happy, healthy and well adjusted children who WILL NOT move back home when they finish college.

2. Refuse to let stresses from work impede on my family life.

3. Be financially ready to retire when I get my 30 in with the Town at the age of 55.

4. Be a supportive and attentive wife.

5. Pay off our debt to Sallie Mae and attempt to be relatively debt free from then on.

Short term goal:

Return more frequently to the loving arms of Cyburbia. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I don't think having nice things is shallow, it's important to my health. :p

Seriously though...

1. Get married (that's in the works but I'm still counting it!)
2. Raise well rounded children
3. Pay off our debt
4. Go back to school for my masters
5. Keep work bs at work

Queen B

Cyburbian
1. Enjoy each day to the best of my ability.
2. Be the best wife I can be.
3. Be the best friend I can be.
4. Have a job that I enjoy going to, that pays enough.
5. Be the best person I can be to myself and others.