• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Dan- How's the new job?

statler

Cyburbian
Tell us Dan! We all want to know the details! I know it's only been two days, but what's your take on the place? Friendy? Jerks? Hard working? Lazy? Attractive? Not-so-attractive? ;-)
Think you are going fit in? Give us the scoop!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Busy, yes, but not "swamped." It's still honeymoon time, but my hands are dirtier just a few days in than with other jobs I've had.

I've already got five cases; three plats, a special use, and a PUD amendment. It was trial by fire; the files were plunked on my desk Monday morning, and I was told that there would be a development review committee meeting the next morning. At the DRC meeting, I held my own; I presented plans that were dripping in red ink, and I felt confident that I knew my way around.

The co-workers are friendly and helpful; yesterday was an impromptu birthday party for the PD, and tonight there's a gathering at a brewpub in KCMO. The dress code is pretty much "Friday casual" all week, with no ties.

The office environment is quiet. I have a real office, about 10'X10', but there's no windows. The new Planning/Development Services will be moving to the third floor of the new city hall in about six months; workers have just started to finish off the space. I'll have a BIG window! I know ... it's silly to think of things like this, but even in the building we're in now, I don't take the office environment for granted. There's a lot of things here I don't take for granted; plenty of office supplies, city vehicles, support staff, being able to go to conferences, and so on

As for "attractive co-workers" ... well, yes. Still, though, they're co-workers, I respect them as planners, and I can't think of them as prospective dates. Homey don't do the intra-office dating thing, and besides, there seems to be no shortage of sweet Midwestern girls in the KC area. :)

jmf

Cyburbian
Sounds like things are going well.

Now for another important detail, how are Bailey and Guinness enjoying the new city?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Glad to hear that all is going well....

Hope the midwestern girlies treat you right ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jmf said:
Now for another important detail, how are Bailey and Guinness enjoying the new city?
Guinness loves the yard; it's wide open (no pool or shrubbery blocking a clear path), so when he's outside, he just runs and dances. There's two friendly dogs next door, and Bailey and Guinness will play with 'em through the short chain link fence. There's a huge off-leash area at Shawnee Mission Park, about a ten minute drive away.

When I was driving up from Florida with the doggies, I spent a night in Cape Girardeau. There was about four inches of snow on the ground. Guinness never saw snow before, so he was afraid to step into it. I waked deep into a fresh patch, and coaxed him out. A few steps in, his head perked up, he smiled, and he stared to just run, run, run around it in. Every so often, he's leap up and bark, or push his nose into the snow and throw some up. I never saw a dog so happy to be in the powder.