• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Dan's Arctic journey 2003.03.16

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sure, the Cleveland area has been under a winter storm warning since last night, but we still had to go to work this morning. As the white stuff came down, and visibility decreased, county officials said "okay ... you can go home at 3:30."

It took about 70 minutes to drive the 40 km home.

The glorious view outside my office window.

Pavement was clear this morning.

Up the escarpment.

My street.

Casa Cyburbia is buried. (It's a rental; I'm buying something pre-war in September.)

What's on the tube? Best the Aussies and Kiwis don't see much like this on TV.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Looks like yesterday. Sioux City got 18.5 inches, but we barely exceeded 5.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
It's coming down pretty good here as well.....expecting anywhere from 6-12 inches....the current (5:12 PM) view from my office....as I await my 7:00 Master Plan Steering Committee meeting that likely no one will show up for.....

Attachments

JNL

Cyburbian
Wow lots of snow! I like these little 'slice-of-life' views into others worlds... :)

School closures are always in the news over here at the moment, but a different type of closure... we're talking permanent closure when the government decides to shut down schools that have falling numbers of students. Very controversial.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We got about a 1/4 inch of snow here.

Probably the remnants of giff's storm.

I heard what you out east are getting is due to a nice old Nor'easter.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Warm and sunny here.
Wait a couple of hours. The storm is heading east, following I-90. It should hit you at about 7:00, and if the lake isn't frozen around your part of the woods, there should also be some additional lake effect in there to make things interesting.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Your neighbourhood looks a lot like mine! I should take more photos sometime... the snow is really beautiful.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Wait a couple of hours. The storm is heading east, following I-90. It should hit you at about 7:00, and if the lake isn't frozen around your part of the woods, there should also be some additional lake effect in there to make things interesting.
Just kidding, it started around 11AM and really picked up around 2PM. I took the bus home at 5:50 and it was all over the place. Seemed like lake effect was in effect downtown.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Just a tidbit of information for you stuck in the snow...I've got the air conditioning on here in Hurricane Land

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
Just a tidbit of information for you stuck in the snow...I've got the air conditioning on here in Hurricane Land
If I want air conditioning, I'll just step outside.;) Actually its pretty nice out, in the upper 20's.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have two simple words... UPPER PENINSULA!

My dad e-mailed me, they have 4 feet on the ground, with more snow in the forcast. When I was at school up there... we had just about 320 inches of snow. We do not get anything like that here.

I feel for you Dan!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
And you left the town next to the Town Next Door WHY? Was it those balmy March afternoons, 75 d. and sunny????

Seabishop

Cyburbian
At least you don't have to worry about sinpers shooting at you through the snow anymore. :)

This storm wasn't too bad here (5" maybe) it was just frustrating after a week of 50f degree weather.

boiker

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I am teh lamerz.

yes, us computer guys get a kick outta that. I saw a bus like that the other day and i was like "D00d!!!! n0tice t3h 14ck of 133t!!