• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Dan's Mystery Car contest

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My new car. I'm bucking the crossover trend as long as the marketplace will let me.

Stash is an investment app that allows you to invest in stocks at $5 intervals. Figured I could throw down $25 or so a check, hopefully more soon. Been doing it since december and finally it has shown a turn around. I had to dump non-performing stocks like fedex in favor of other funds.
I got in trouble with the Mrs. for using Robinhood. I made money, but still ... I might start putting a few bucks in here and there again.

Hink

OH....IO
Wait, wait, who did the split? Was that you Maister??? Was it?

DVD

Cyburbian
What's good and bad about Robinhood and Stash? I was thinking of doing one of those.

I always figure Dan as a Subaru guy, but I guess not. Way to shock my ill informed vision of you. I kind of like WSUs guess of a Jetta, but I'll throw out Altima just to play the odds.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm going with a Subaru Legacy.
You know, now I realize that's the old car! It's buried so deep, I didn't recognize that.

Anyhow, that was a 2016 Subaru Legacy in black. The new car is a 2019 Subaru Legacy in ... ahem, Abyss Blue Pearl.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I got in trouble with the Mrs. for using Robinhood. I made money, but still ... I might start putting a few bucks in here and there again.
I've had Robinhood for like a year or so. I started with like 150 bucks. I'm at like 75 right now! I'm uh...not so good at this.

What's good and bad about Robinhood and Stash?
I only have experience with Robinhood. I have no problems with it, but it does have a significant lack of information when looking at specific stocks. You need a companion app with it, FinWiz or something like that. It's nice not having any real commissions to worry about, and trading is pretty easy. They do have a "day trading" lock, so if you're using it to trade penny stocks often, it won't work without having a certain amount in your account IIRC. I've lost a lot of money on it, but that's no fault of Robinhood, it's just mine, picking poor stocks or buying at the peak rather than the valley.

EDIT* Whoops, didn't realize this was a split about some car. My bad, but that Robinhood info stays.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
You know, now I realize that's the old car! It's buried so deep, I didn't recognize that.

Anyhow, that was a 2016 Subaru Legacy in black. The new car is a 2019 Subaru Legacy in ... ahem, Abyss Blue Pearl.

What do I win?

The Terminator

Cyburbian
I KNEW IT WAS EITHER A NEW LEGACY OR IMPREZA!!

Unfortunately Volvo is no longer what it once was since they failed to catch the AWD wave after Ford bought (ruined) them. So the discerning consumer who wants AWD with a Manual have little options anymore, either Subies or Trucks.

My grandpa has an '18 Legacy and loves it.

Best with the new car Dan!! May you get 500,000 miles!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Unfortunately Volvo is no longer what it once was since they failed to catch the AWD wave after Ford bought (ruined) them. So the discerning consumer who wants AWD with a Manual have little options anymore, either Subies or Trucks.
There's not many options for 4WD sedans -- the Subaru Legacy, Nissan Altima (which I'm not a huge fan of), Ford Fusion (costs a lot more, and with Ford ending car sales in the US, an orphan in the making), and a few from higher-end brands. The Buick Regal TourX looks promising, but I'm not quite at that age yet.

Last edited:

The Terminator

Cyburbian
There's not many options for 4WD sedans -- the Subaru Legacy, Nissan Altima (which I'm not a huge fan of), Ford Fusion (costs a lot more, and with Ford ending car sales in the US, an orphan in the making), and a few from higher-end brands. The Buick Regal TourX looks promising, but I'm not quite at that age yet.

YES! You watch RCR too! *Bows down to show respect to our Master Cyburbian*

Yeah, 4wd sedans are becoming a rare bird/haven't really been sold in the past 10 years outside Subaru and the Altima/Fusion and yes Luxury brands (Mercedes 4matic comes to mind). I'm an RWD purist, but I accept the snow tire responsibility that comes with it ;) and do love me a good full time 4 wheel drivetrain. I loved both my Subaru's (1995 and 1999 Legacy Wagons) and would buy an EJ22 car again in a heartbeat!

The 15+ legacy's seem to be pretty robust and reliable. My grandpa had a '15 and got his current '18 when that lease ended and has had 0 issues with either, of course they are within warranty though. Time will tell if this generation will last as long as the fabled 90s and early 00s Subaru's and how the out of warranty experience will be. Some new foresters and impreza's are having problems with their motors failing at low mileage since 2015, but its something Subaru is aware of and Legacy's seem to be less problematic.

I LOVE an old V8 Roadmaster,, but if Im going 1991-96 Full Size GM, my heart is with the LT1 Caprice and Impala SS. Caprice's were my first car love because they were so common in NYC as a child. One day I will own a 1979 Caprice Aerocoupe with a 350.

Best with the new whip, Dan! #CNYScoobieGang

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan