• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Darn

swm

I was just surfing thru here as I have done on a very limited occasion over the past few years, and I was finally going to sign up with (of course) a pseudonym. But apparently I have already registered with my real initials awhile ago (what was I thinking), so I guess i'll just stick with it.

Anyway, I am what you could call a planner, but more accurately you could call me unemployed. I live in Manhattan, but have lived previously (in reverse order) in San Francisco, Oakland, San Francisco, Chicago, Ann Arbor MI, Washington DC, Trenton NJ, Ithaca NY, Harrisburg PA, Cherry Hill NJ, Arlington TX, Arlington VA and Alexandria VA.

I did a masters and also an undergrad program in planning.

I consider myself lucky to have not yet worked in the public sector - from what I've heard at least - but have seen a lot of the limitations of private sector work.

I've worked for APA in the past, and more recently for architectural firms doing urban design and master planning work. Even tho I have worked for what many planners would consider an evil, death star-like company (SOM), I am still a bleeding heart liberal leftist (also worked for the ACLU).

I don't really plan on posting all that much, and consider myself to be more of a two-bit comment kind of BBS poster. Really, this is all just procrastination. Nobody is hiring and I need something to do in lieu of going down to Dean & DeLuca and applying to be a coffee boy.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lol welcome!

I am job hunting myself and it SUCKS!
I love the Dean and Deluca in Georgetown! Great to shop when your having a dinner party etc.

Hope you find a home here on the boards and join right in

PG

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard! It sounds like you have been all over the place, which will be a nice little addition to our forums if you choose to post some more. :)

Nothing wrong with being a coffee boy... I admire a man who can make a decent cup of coffee.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
Lol welcome!

I am job hunting myself and it SUCKS!
I
Yeah, me too. My last prospect strung me along for two months before flushing me... Good luck

donk

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard.

Looks like we need a job seekers support group. I too am getting ready to start the hunt for a new job.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
well thank G*d i have a job but i hate it worse than sin-we are talking nightmares every single work night.

job hunting planners unite!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
So you're not actually a "single white male"?

I'm not hunting for a job, but one may have found me.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

donk

Cyburbian
Maybe those of us with jobs could figure out a creative method to convince our employers to "trade" us to others looking for jobs. Mastiff, from your house and fishing photos, you'd probably like it here, PG not so sure, i think I could handle either WA or VA. How about it?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
SWM? Oh, my God - I know you!

Just kidding. Welcome, and may Cyburbia be your new home away from home.

SWM - welcome. i've been home from work most of the week on short term disability, and have found that Cyburbia is good for eating up a really good chunk of my mornings, and then in the afternoons again when i recheck the boards. hope we can help in any and all procrastination efforts

*as she ignores the giant pile of laundry*

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There seem to be several of us Cyburbians looking for a new job. I have had three interviews in the last three weeks, one more next week, and two the week after. I think the folks at the airport know me by name.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
There seem to be several of us Cyburbians looking for a new job. I have had three interviews in the last three weeks, one more next week, and two the week after. I think the folks at the airport know me by name.
I have one Monday...still waiting to hear about two more, and two openings to send materials to before the 21st.