• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Darwin Award Wantabe

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Downstate man survives 69,000-volt jolt
http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/151701-7811-093.html

CLARKSVILLE, Ind.
-- A 22-year-old New Albany man climbing an electrical tower survived a 69,000-volt shock that a utility official said was nearly always fatal. Jason Grisham was listed in fair condition today in the burn unit at University Hospital in Louisville.
... the shock knocked out power to 6,800 customers for a little more than an hour.

Dive for Keys Nearly Kills Mo. Man
http://ap.indystar.com/dynamic/stories/K/KEY_DIVER?SITE=ININS&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

A man who nearly drowned when using a garden hose ... to snorkel 30-feet below the surface, with a 20-pound boat anchor tied to his waist to help him reach the bottom....while he tried to retrieve his keys
The entire incident was caught on home video.

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
JNA said:
A man who nearly drowned when using a garden hose ... to snorkel 30-feet below the surface, with a 20-pound boat anchor tied to his waist to help him reach the bottom....while he tried to retrieve his keys

LOL - despite his very best efforts (he stopped breathing for a time) he does not get a Darwin Award.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
I tried the garden hose trick in the deep end of the pool once. But I was six at the time and didn't understand anything about water or air pressure. To say I was shocked when I received a mouth full of water instead of air in an understatement. Luckily at that age I didn't have keys to retreive or I might have been stuck in Davy Jones locker forever.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
-- A 22-year-old New Albany man climbing an electrical tower survived a 69,000-volt shock that a utility official said was nearly always fatal. Jason Grisham was listed in fair condition today in the burn unit at University Hospital in Louisville.
... the shock knocked out power to 6,800 customers for a little more than an hour.

Yup, we raise some rally smart children down here B-) 8-! |-)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
jordanb said:
You should keep it in your mouth the whole time and breate out your nose.

Should? Must... Even a 1/2" garden hose has too much capacity at a 20' length for you to get fresh air. So if you don't continually draw and exhale out your nose, you suck your CO2 back into your lungs...