• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Dat der Friday fish fry der

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Apparently, Buffalo is the fish fry capital of the world.

The only other states that come close to consuming such a quantity of fish fries are Wisconsin and Ohio, seafood distributors say. Although spawned by the large Catholic population in the Buffalo Niagara region, the fish fry phenomenon today reaches far beyond Catholic practices and venues. Its appeal has become, in a word, catholic. Protestant churches, lodges, veteran groups, private functions and scores of restaurants and pubs serve the popular Friday fare.

"I traveled the United States and the world when I was in the service, and I've experienced fish fries from California to England," said Kevin Barczykowski, head chef at Murphy's Tavern on the Green Restaurant in Williamsville. "But those fish fries are nothing like we have here. Buffalo has almost cornered the haddock fish fry market."

boiker

Cyburbian
mmm. fish fry. i enjoyed fried cod on wednesday good eats.

As for small towns, my home town is a town of 14,000 and has 4 catholic parishes, and numerous catholic related clubs like KofC, P.N.A., etc. I think on any given lent friday there are at least 3 fish fries.

mmmmmm

Last edited:

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have over 5 million Wisconsinites that would challenge that. Although Haddock is not the big fish here. It is usually cod and sometimes Walleye, Perch, and Bluegill.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
From the title of the thread...

I felt like I was up dare in da U.P. yah know.. Eh..

But holly wah, I ate dis fish fry one yah know, wah, was it goud. eh... It was walleye from da bay, one dat Toyvola Hankinin caught off da dock yah know...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Looks like I'm having a nice juicey steak tonight
Steak ... on Friday ... during Lent ... in Buffalo?

You're going to get run over by a hundred powder blue Dodge Aries driven by little old Polish ladies if you go through with it!

boiker

Cyburbian
Dan said:
wasn't there a buffalo city code prohibiting steak houses to operate on lenten fridays, and ash wednesday? :-}

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:

You're going to get run over by a hundred powder blue Dodge Aries driven by little old Polish ladies if you go through with it!
Tunas don't eats fishishs;), I better watch out. (everytime I see that picture, I get scared like she's some Godzilla or something)

boiker, a code that prohibits steak houses from operating on fridays during Lent? Maybe Dan could dig it up if it was ever on the books. Seems a little crazy.

boiker

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Tunas don't eats fishishs;), I better watch out. (everytime I see that picture, I get scared like she's some Godzilla or something)

boiker, a code that prohibits steak houses from operating on fridays during Lent? Maybe Dan could dig it up if it was ever on the books. Seems a little crazy.
i kid, i kid. here, pretend I didn't say anything. :b: :b: :b: :b:

otterpop

Cyburbian
Love a fish fry. Especially fried catfish and hush puppies. Don't you know that's good.

biscuit

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Love a fish fry. Especially fried catfish and hush puppies. Don't you know that's good.
Mmmmmm..... it's been a while since I've been to a fire house catfish and hush puppy fry. It were pretty common back in my hometown to have these as benefits for a family or an uninsured member of the community who needed an organ transplant or other expensive medical treatment. The biggest one of the year was the one our Boy Scout troop put on at the volunteer fire department... Catfish filets soaked in milk and rolled in cornmeal and flour, then dropped in the deep frier... Now that's some tasty cholesterol!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
All this Fish Fry talk has is making me hungry for one. I think that may be in order tonight!

We have a brewery in downtown Milwaukee that has a great Friday Fish Fry and if you are waiting for a table, you can take a tour of the brewery and load up on beers before you sit down to eat.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Dan said:

Yes, fellow planners, it is Lent and the Catholic guilt starts kickin in! I can't remember one single Friday while growing up where we didn't have spaghetti (no meat sauce), fish sticks, mac n cheese, grilled cheese, or other non-meat variations.
Although I don't really practice anymore, I still find myself not eating meat on Fridays during Lent.
I must add, however, that one of my aunts is a nun and prays for my soul every day.... :-}

otterpop

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
I must add, however, that one of my aunts is a nun and prays for my soul every day.... :-}
That's a pretty sweet deal. Nice to have a relative in your corner who may have pull with the Big Guy.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
What is this fish fry of which you speak?
The fish fry (or fish boil) is a Friday tradition in very Catholic parts, like Buffalo, Wisconsin, da Yoo Pee, and other places mentioned. Restaurants and various organizations cook up tons of fish usually seasoned with cheap cooking oil or sometimes just kerosene. Yum. I am not a big fan.

donk

Cyburbian
"Only if dey bee de good smelt from de Baie." (Think with a franglais accent, and add a few f'in's)

Here they are super popular, but they have to be smelt from Baie Ste Anne. I've had people come to my house trying to sell smelt, when I said no thanks they told me that they were the good ones from the Baie. Even 3 hours away BSA smelt are a sellig feature.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I prefer my fish baked or grilled.
Fried = cholesterol :p

Bangorian

michaelskis said:
It was walleye from da bay, one dat Toyvola Hankinin caught off da dock yah know...
TOIVO! Ah, the memories!

We been fryin' up summa them good 'ol Kennebec Rivah smelt up heah in Maine, Ayuh. Like to try some, deah? :p

One of the most popular Fish Fry joints - Bob and Ron's - fries thousands of pounds of haddock on the lenten fridays.

Our family, though, had shrimp tacos last friday. but will probably pick up a fry for this friday.