• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Days of the Week

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The 3 day weekend we just had has gummed up my internal 'dayoftheweek-ometer'. It kinda felt like Thursday when I got up this morning. Which has got me to thinking.....what gives days of the week their particular character, and why some are inherently better or worse than others? As far as what makes them better or worse I'm sure most of us would agree that Monday through Friday all have one major defect - work, but beyond that not even all work-days are created equal nor are weekend days. Monday morning clearly earns its distinction as the universal time of despair as we return once again back to the grind, but on the other hand we haven't really had the opportunity to take our knocks for the week yet, either. In some ways it seems Wednesday is more depressing than Monday, being lodged firmly in the middle of the week, with all vestiges of freshness gone and the weekend still too far away to gain sight of hope.
Has anyone else ever experienced a major chronological displacement where they have perceived, say a Tuesday as feeling like a Friday or something on that order grossly out of sync?

boiker

Cyburbian
yes, this morning I put my underwear on my head, a boa 'round my neck and spread yogurt on my feet and then went out the door. At that point I quickly realized it was casual friday and I was overdressed :-D

The only chronological mess-up was me not expecting the weekend so soon....which is a good thing.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
DAMN MY WASTED YOUTH!

I could have really done something with three months in a row of Saturdays! Instead I wasted it watching cartoons, laying in bed and loafing around feeling bored until football started. 8-!

I wish I had a three month sabatical every year now! The things I could do with 90 saturdays in a row! :-D

I have those feelings as well. Sunday evening, like after 5 p.m., also becomes a time of despair given that you know the weekend is winding down and it's time to start getting back into work mode and/or preparing for Monday morning. Last week, I took off Tuesday and it seemed like every morning I woke up thinking it was a different day of the week.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I further screwed up my week by being home sick yesterday.....I have no idea what day it is! ;-)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Monday is generally lax (usual "coming down from the weekend" effect), while Tuesday and Wednesday are the typical hectic days. Thursday is usually the day that throws me off since it's near the weekend. I have a habit of thinking Thursday is Friday because I anticipate the weekend.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Does anybody have problem with Friday afternoons say after lunch or 3 o'clock
when either your own attitude is suffering or half the office has left already
and nobody calls or walks in.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Does anybody have problem with Friday afternoons say after lunch or 3 o'clock
when either your own attitude is suffering or half the office has left already
and nobody calls or walks in.

The Friday afternoon doldrums usually begin in my office at about 3:00. My co-workers start cutting out (including myself occasionally ;-) ) and the time starts to really slow down between 3:00 and 5:30. That sucks!

Floridays

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Sunday evening, like after 5 p.m., also becomes a time of despair given that you know the weekend is winding down and it's time to start getting back into work mode and/or preparing for Monday morning.

What she said! Also I notice that Thursdays sometimes feel like Fridays. Perhaps that goes back to the ol' college days, when Thursday night was one of the biggest party nights of the week!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Because this is my last Friday at this jurisdiction, the day will be hectic; exit interview, cleaning out my office, arranging files, etc. :-c

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Because this is my last Friday at this jurisdiction, the day will be hectic; exit interview, cleaning out my office, arranging files, etc. :-c

RJ, will you drink during your exit interview and while you're conducting those tasks? ;-) :-D :b:

Like BEK - I really enjoy Thursdays for the anticipation of the weekend. And I don't hate on Mondays, because they're the one morning of the week that I'm actually prepared for the day, since I really had time to get everything ready the night before. Tuesdays and Wednesday, though, are truly heinous - Every Tuesday is spent getting ready for Planning Board that night, and every Wednesday is spent cleaning up the paperwork mess from Planning Board the night before.

I really loved working three day weeks for 2 months after my FMLA ran out.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Big Easy King said:
RJ, will you drink during your exit interview and while you're conducting those tasks? ;-) :-D :b:
I wish I could, BEK, I wish I could. But this evening, well, that's another story. :b: :b:

(Sorry, OT).

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It is a fact that our PC/BZA meetings always fall on the Tuesday after a long weekend. You get three days off then have to work a double shift the day you come back. This week for example, with Memorial Day on Monday and BZA until 11:20pm on Tuesday. It makes me :-#

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
For me the time I feel happiest is at 5:00 pm Friday. The whole weekend is before you and you feel the joy of committing yourself to more more activities over the weekend than you have either time or energy to do.
I envy BEK and Downtown for experience something positive on Thursdays (even if nothing more than joyful anticipation) - for me the characteristic Thursday sentiment is slightly different....Oh my god, it's not even Friday, that's a whole another day away!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
For sme strange reason, I find myself more productive on Friday arternoon. I think it's because I work a bit harder, wanting to wrap up loose ends before I leave.

Some holidays feel like their underlying days, while others fon't. I think it might have something to do with television. The schedule for programming on Thanksgiving -- Thursday in the United States -- is usually quite different than that of a normal Thursday, while the television programming for a Monday holiday such as Memorial Day or Veterans Day is about the same, except for the usual news coverage of the wreath laying on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I think daytime traffic patterns affect my perception of holidays, too; not much traffic on Christmas or Thanksgiving, while it's more-or-less normal on a Monday holiday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Planderella said:
I have those feelings as well. Sunday evening, like after 5 p.m., also becomes a time of despair given that you know the weekend is winding down and it's time to start getting back into work mode and/or preparing for Monday morning. Last week, I took off Tuesday and it seemed like every morning I woke up thinking it was a different day of the week.
How true! Have you noticed that sense of dread also seems to descend on you earlier and earlier on Sundays the older you get?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I work some evenings and weekends, so it's always one big blur. The only way I can tell the days apart is by what's required in terms of dress. If it's khakis, it must be Monday or possibly Friday or maybe Saturday. Suit, must be the middle of the week. Jeans, any other time. Toga, must've been working too hard.

Maister said:
How true! Have you noticed that sense of dread also seems to descend on you earlier and earlier on Sundays the older you get?

Yep and sometimes it actually creeps up on Saturdays as well, mostly in the morning when I wake up thinking I have to go to work before I realize that's not the case.

Dragon

Cyburbian
I tend to have a positive attitude when I leave work on Wednesday. Not because I am finally off of work, but because I only have 1 full day to go before the weekend begins. Maybe that is me trying to look on the brighter side of things though.

Since having the baby and coming back to work, my whole attitude about work has changed. I leave work at work A LOT more than I used to, when I get home, I rarely give work a second thought. But that also might be the sleep deprivation which allows me to keep only one thought (if that) in my head at any given time. :D

Although, my dream the night before last when the biggest PITA NIMBY in our town was stabbing my little brother (as a young child) to death and I gouged his eyes out with paper clips. :-#

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well I never have classes on Fridays, so I always get confused between Fridays and Saturdays.... At least the extra spare time helps to be able to study more relaxed. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Lord, I am going though major chronological displacement right now. I was off on Memorial Day last Monday, took a personal day on Friday, and will be off for a week after noon this Wednesday. To make matters worse I have been up really late almost every night over the past week trying to get the new apartment in order before the family gets in for the wedding later this week. On top of that my sister and brother-in-law stopped in and stayed with me last night while on their way to Niagara Falls... with my infant niece in tow. Needless to say, I did NOT want to get up and drag myself into the office this morning.

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday ;-)

Last edited:
biscuit said:
Lord, I am going though major chronological displacement right now. I was off on Memorial Day last Monday, took a personal day on Friday, and will be off for a week after noon this Wednesday. To make matters worse I have been up really late almost every night over the past week trying to get the new apartment in order before the family gets in for the wedding later this week. On top of that my sister and brother-in-law were stayed with me last night while on their way to Niagara Falls... with my infant neice in tow. Needless to say, I did NOT want to get up and drag myself into the office this morning.

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday ;-)

[OT]Are you ready for the BIG DAY? :) [/OT]

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ugh, I had to get up Saturday at the usual "weekday" time to work a Trails Day event, so I feel like I only had 1/2 a weekend off and today should really be Sunday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Two other groups of folks (both of which I have worked in) who terminally suffer from permanent day displacement are:
1) retail. I worked in retail for about 7 years and by the end of my 2nd month was completely jaded to the concept of weekends. Getting two days off in a row? what's that? It was nice in one respect that you could always get errands done during normal work hours on weekdays, but apart from that...yuch!
2) Alternating Shift work. Worked in a military comm. ctr. for about 2 yrs. Your schedule might look something like this: Mon -1st shift, Tues - 3rd, Weds - off Thurs 1st, Friday 1st, Sat - 2nd, Sun - 1st, Mon - off, Tues 3rd.....I swear it was designed to inflict the maximum level of disorientation. Several of the comm ctr workers petitioned the OIC if they couldn't simply switch to doing something humane like 5 days of one shift two days off and 5 days of another shift, etc. but he wouldn't hear it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
last week was nice and short for me - no Monday or Friday

I didn't really feel the disorenitation, but have in the past.

Thanksgiving Weekend always throws me off. This past one, my wife and I just did Thanksgiving by ourselves with no family around. By Sunday, I was all confused. It felt like it was Wednesday.

Plus, my normal sleeping pattern was all thrown off. If I sleep till 8am, I feel like I've wasted the whole day.

I have never been a 9-to-5-er. When my first child was born 17 years ago (tomorrow is his b-day), he slept in 2 hour shifts around the clock. My brain figures that days end when I go to bed for the night and begin when I wake up after 5 to 8 hours of sleep. Napping for an hour or two throughout the day had me completely confused because my days never formally "ended".

Then there was this past 18 months where I slept days and was up all night. I had so many friends on the other side of the planet, and several in Guam, that I began thinking in "Guam Time" -- which is 18 hours different from here. In essence, I was on Rem's time.

If my husband goes to work, it feels like a weekday. If he is home, it feels like a weekend. If he is out of town, it feels like a vacation. :-D When he takes leave or has a 3 day weekend, I get confused. I think it is "Sunday" for several extra days in a row. :p