• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

De Noc

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
De Noc Update

As this Bear enjoys the final day of a 3-day weekend, here's a bit of an update on some De Noc projects.....

Comprehensive Plan - Did more work on the basic outline for the plan. Even though the metro has over 70 different communities my comprehensive plan will cover the entire area. Probably will include building-in some regional consolidation planning.....school bus routing, some revenue sharing. When Indianapolis went through their regional (unigov?) consolidation they did allow a few suburbs to remain separate entities. Mmmmm....

Bus Routes - This morning I worked on bus route planning. I started in the northeastern metro because I am also working on a suburb in the northwest metro.....and I wanted that new set of drawings to be completed before I attacked the maps with bus routing.

St. Vital - For the last month or so I have been drawing the plats for a suburb in the northwestern metro.....St. Vital. I am expecting the final population count to be between 20,000 and 30,000. The 7 square miles of St. Vital will include Hardy Creek, Elk Lake, and a small portion of Wolf Creek. The city will eventually be surrounded by other communities, including a slab of corporate limits De Noc. One of the surrounding suburbs was drawn back in the late 1960s.....Fairhaven (104,550) is De Noc's largest suburb and is due south of St. Vital. The other communities that will hug St. Vital are not yet drawn.....Wolf Creek and Rainy Lake. St. Vital will have a mix of single-family residential, some multi-family residential, a touch of light industry, and regular suburban commerce.

High School Stats - I find it relaxing to spreadsheet detailed high school sports statistics for the metro. I have been tagging this on to my De Noc work since the mid-1960s. Call me a geek. It relaxes me. :)

Last night I worked on these stats from about 6:00 PM to nearly Midnight. :-c:)
_____

De Noc's temperature today, under sunny skies, is expected to reach 60F, which is exactly normal for this date. Tonight it will drop to 47F. Tomorrow will be partly cloudy and a tad bit below normal.....57F. Sweatshirt weather!

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Update

This past weekend I continued my development of a Comprehensive Plan for the De Noc Metropolitan Area. Spent a ton of time reading through plans from Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, yadda. The Chicago plan is freakin' huge! I did take notes, as every good non-planner should. :)

I also added another project to my ever-growing list. I will be going through every plat and develop a list of the bridges.....vehicular, train, and pedestrian.

So many projects, so little time.

Bear

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
<snip> Spent a ton of time reading through plans from Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, yadda.</snip>

Reading plans? Dear God, Man, don't you know that NOBODY reads plans? :-c You may be the first person to ever do that! Take it from an old planner, all you need to do for De Noc is put a notebook on your shelf that says "Comprehensive Plan for the City of De Noc" and let it gather dust. ;)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Update

Just about finished with the basic outline for Metropolitan De Noc's Comprehensive Plan. After solidifying the outline I will.....ever so slowly.....begin the detail work. :-c
_____

Last weekend I began going through all of the plats.....again. Developing a complete list of all bridges in Metro De Noc. Identifying by type.....vehicle, pedestrian, or railroad. Also listing what the bridge is crossing over (highway name or number, railroad, body of water). Most bridges in the metro are smaller (creeks, small streams) or part of an interchange (crossing over another part of the interchange). I have identified a handful of larger bridges. So far, went through 50 plats.....of more than 400 plats. :-c:D

To those who might ask.....am I going to identify the structure type for the bridges (cantilever, bascule, concrete arch, yadda)? No. What do you think I am, some sort of anal geek?

:-$

Temperature high for today in De Noc will be a wet and cold 54F. Clearing tonight and a nice rebound for the weekend.....expecting 60F and sunny. :)

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
End Of October Updates

For those who care.....

Comprehensive Plan Update
Finished the first draft of the "Introduction" to the plan. Have determined the Elements. Each Element will have numerous Targets. The Elements are:

Quality of Life
Economic Vitality
Land Use
Environmental Stewardship / Sustainable Growth
Equity
Infrastructure
De Noc In Motion
De Noc After Work
Government That Works

As in most any Comprehensive Plan, there is substantial cross-over from Element to Element.

Industrial Parks / Research Parks
I am surprised at myself. For as much of an awareness of industrial parks that I carry I have very few drawn into my giant fake metro of De Noc. Working on the Comprehensive Plan reminded me of that. My metro has over 2 million people and I have only 6 actual identified industrial parks.

North De Noc Industrial Park (Created 1960s)
5 Industries (2 - Still in operation, with 325 employees) (3 - Closed, lost 750 employees)
Kit Carson Industrial Park (Created 1960s)
4 Industries (2 - Still in operation, with 800 employees) (2 - Closed, lost 975 employees)
Cinderdale Distribution Centre (Created 1970s)
5 Industries (5 - Still in operation, with 320 employees)
Westinghouse Industrial Park (Created 1960s)
3 Industries (1 - Still in operation, with 1000 employees) (2 - Closed, lost 1550 employees)
Homeland Industrial Park (Created 2000s)
11 Industries (11 - Still in operation, with 680 employees)
Superior Research Park (Created 2000s)
12 Industries (12 - Still in operation, with 830 employees)

Cinderdale Distribution Centre is located in inner-ring suburb of Cinderdale. Superior Research Park is partially located in De Noc and partially located in outer-ring suburb of St. Jaques. Superior Research Park has additional land in outer-ring suburb of Poplar Pointe. Superior is also affiliated with Patrick Stanley University's College of Plastics Research. All the other parks are in De Noc.

Bridge Inventory
I have now gone through 100 plats as part of the Bridge Inventory. Interestingly enough, when I drew plats back in the 1960s I added many bridges. For example, if an expressway cut through a grid neighborhood many of the cross streets had bridges over the limited access road. This was common on my drawings and it was common when our USA was going through the early phases of expressway construction. Now, when I draw a plat, there is a mind-set to have very few bridges, because of an awareness of initial cost and future (upkeep) costs.
_____

Temperature today in De Noc will reach 40F, a few degrees below normal. Today's rain showers will give way to some clearing. But, by the end of the week, snow showers are expected. :-c

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Going to spend some time working on De Noc projects during this 4-day weekend. I will probably continue with the "Bridge Inventory" project and I am considering a start on a re-do for the Catholic churches. Over the 46 years of working on De Noc I have not really had a logical plan for the locations of Catholic churches, Catholic elementary schools, and Catholic high schools.

With my fake metro encompassing about 400 plat drawings, any project gives me an opportunity to review each plat as I focus on a specific project. During that look-see at each plat I often add more projects to my list, because I see issues with "something".

In case you are wondering (and I know you are ;)) I now have 163 different projects on the list. 61 projects are complete......37.42%. :-c
_____

Considerably below normal temperatures in De Noc on this "Black Friday". Today's high will be 24F with snow showers. But by early next week the temps will go above normal......low 40F temperatures, with some rain.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Year In Review

Here is a quick review of the De Noc projects worked on during the course of 2010. Looking forward to more project fun in 2011, as I continually wander the streetscape of Metropolitan De Noc.

New Plat Drawings: Suburb of Moss Lake (Population: 19,690) ( 8 Plats)
New Plat Drawings: Suburb of St. Vital, still in process (7 Plats)
New Plat Drawings: South areas of De Noc (Population: 10,180) (9 Plats)
Re-Draw Plat Drawings: Central city, for expressway widening project (9 Plats)
Started development of Comprehensive Plan.
Began designating bus routes.
Bridge inventory. (2/3 completed)
Hospital adjustment; closed 3 older hospitals; recognized serious bed shortfall.
Fire and rescue district alignment; recognized moderate station house shortfall.
_____

Today's temperature in De Noc was about 39F, considerably above normal. More normal temperatures moving in (highs around 24F) with some snow showers.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Other Than De Noc

So, this thing called De Noc has been part of my life since about 1964/1965. Regular threadsters know that my giant fake metro is located in what is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. But.....what if I was starting over and the UP wasn't in my thought process?

Starting Over
Location: Probably the lower Great Lakes or the Pacific Northwest.
Geography: Downtown (CBD) adjacent to the Great Lake of choice or ocean-accessible (such as Seattle).
Topography: Steep hills, perhaps mountains nearby.

I would include some separate growth areas so I could have a long bridge and/or a tunnel (or two). The Bay Area of SF comes to mind. This would also provide the opportunity for extensive ferry service, vehicle and passenger (such as Staten Island).

Knowing what I now know about urban growth, I would have more centralized grid-pattern streetscapes. I do like the numerous inland lakes in my De Noc metro (similar to the Twin Cities) so that imagination pattern would remain. As my new metro grows I would assume that the green areas (parks, preserves, etc.) would be influenced by plannerfolk who are icons to most of you.....thus, this new fake pencil (Amish) city would have its' own version of an "emerald necklace".

I would also make another assumption: the prime waterfront would have an expressway or limited-access road (akin to Seattle's Alaskan Way) AND as the years go by planners would be working to remove the (probable) eyesore vita reouting, closure, or a tunnel.
_____

It's much too late to start over. Back to work on De Noc, unchallenged as "the world's largest hand-drawn fictional city map".

:)

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Numbered Routes

Metropolitan De Noc has a significant amount of numbered routes. The area has interstate numbering, national route numbering, state numbering, and even some Forest Highway numbering. Let's take a look:

Interstate Highways, Part 1
I-98 is the east-west Interstate-numbered highway that routes across the State of Northern Michigan. It enters the built-up area of the metro in the northeast quadrant and at about the mid-point it turns south. I-98 rumbles around the CBD and continues south, before turning west and moving out of the metro.

I-298 and I-498 comprise, with I-98, the actual "Outerbelt". I-298 winds around the southeast and southcentral portions of the metro. I-498 winds around the northwest and westcentral portions of the metro.

In addition to touching De Noc in a significant number of locations, these interstate highways also go through the following already-drawn suburbs: Roxbury, Indian Springs, Brookley, Winterwoods, Fairhaven, Hiawatha, Alaska House, Bailey Creek, Katie Shores, Bywater, Porcupine Lake, and Little Fishdam.

Interstate Highways, Part 2
I-398 is a spur interstate that juts off of I-98 (southern metro, within the city of Porcupine Lake) and winds through the city of Katie Shores, ending within sight of Lake Michigan, at Northern Lights Boulevard (NM 102).

Originally my fake world had I-43 going north from Green Bay, ending at Marquette. I-98 would junction with I-43, considerably west of Metro De Noc. However, thanks to an alternate suggestion via Cyburbian mgk920 I-43 would wander up the Door Peninsula in Wisconson and use an island-hopping causeway to jump over to Northern Michigan's Garden Peninsula. I-43 would move north and turn northwest, junctioning with I-298 (west central metro) in the suburb of Germaine Spring.

I developed the Whitefish Causeway (I-43) but the junction with the metro has not yet been drawn. I will probably make an assumption that at Green Bay, I-43 splits into I-43W and I-43E. The Whitefish Causeway would be I-43E. Upon entering the metro it would follow I-298 northbound, then I-98 westbound. Where I-98 turns south (toward the De Noc CBD) and I-498 begins its' westward march, I-43E would route on the partially-drawn Whitefish Tollway, ending at a point south of Marquette (where it would rejoin I-43W).

US Route
US 2 goes through the De Noc Metropolitan Area. In the drawn suburbs it routes east-to-west through Mohawk Park, De Noc, Winterwoods, Hiawatha, and Bailey Creek. US 2 does go through the center of the CBD.

State Routes
There are a number of Northern Michigan State Routes that wander through the metro. NM 8 starts in the CBD and moves west through De Noc and Des Plaines. It will, when drawn, junction with I-498. NM 66 is a partially-drawn state route in the northwestern areas of De Noc.

NM 99 is a north-south route that goes through the De Noc CBD, junctioning with US 2. Drawn suburbs that touch NM 99 include Brookley, Elwood, Indian Springs, and Red Sand. NM 128 is a limited-access highway, the Sault Ste. Marie Expressway. It moves from a central city junction with I-98 to the drawn-suburb of Royal Orchard. It will eventually junction with I-98 in the not-yet-drawn suburb of Camp Seven.

NM 102 is an east-west route that is located near the Lake Michigan shore. Drawn suburbs that it touches include Nahma Junction, Katie Shores, and Bailey Creek. Within its' routing in De Noc it slides past the De Noc Port Authority docks. NM 109 is a north-south route that is located in eastern De Noc and suburbs in that area. At this time, the only suburb drawn for this route is St. Jaques.

My original plans called for the Superior Tollway to route from De Noc's northwestern suburbs to Marquette.....on NM 941. The changing of the plans for the inclusion of I-43E in the metro officially eliminates NM 941.

Forest Highways
The west metro abuts the Rapid River National Forest. Some of the main roads in the western portions of De Noc and some western suburbs change to designated (and signed) Forest Highways.
_____

So, how realistic is it to have a fair number of Northern Michigan State Highways wandering through the metro? Seems OK to me, based on observations of other urban-suburban areas of this size.
_____

Temperature in De Noc this morning is 20F, with some snow flurries expected.

Bear

mgk920

Cyburbian
Originally my fake world had I-43 going north from Green Bay, ending at Marquette. I-98 would junction with I-43, considerably west of Metro De Noc. However, thanks to an alternate suggestion via Cyburbian mgk920 I-43 would wander up the Door Peninsula in Wisconson and use an island-hopping causeway to jump over to Northern Michigan's Garden Peninsula. I-43 would move north and turn northwest, junctioning with I-298 (west central metro) in the suburb of Germaine Spring.

I developed the Whitefish Causeway (I-43) but the junction with the metro has not yet been drawn. I will probably make an assumption that at Green Bay, I-43 splits into I-43W and I-43E. The Whitefish Causeway would be I-43E. Upon entering the metro it would follow I-298 northbound, then I-98 westbound. Where I-98 turns south (toward the De Noc CBD) and I-498 begins its' westward march, I-43E would route on the partially-drawn Whitefish Tollway, ending at a point south of Marquette (where it would rejoin I-43W).
Actually, 'I-43' would continue up the Lake Michigan lakeshore from Manitowoc, past Two Rivers, Algoma and Kewaunee to Sturgeon Bay (roughly paralleling WI 42) and the main I-route roughly following along US 41 would be 'I-57' extended northward from Chicago. The highway between Manitowoc and Green Bay would be a heavily-upgraded US 141. WI 57 would also have been heavily upgraded (much like it is now) between Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay, but on an earlier schedule and it might carry a three-digit I-route number.

Mike

stroskey

Cyburbian
Could you please post some maps or pictures either here or on another site so we can see your metro area? Thanks!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Answering stroskey &amp; Developing St. Vital

First things first: stroskey has asked (twice) if I could post pictures of my De Noc drawings. Gosh, I am not certain how to do that. A few years ago I tried snapping a digital photo of a plat or two.....and the results were about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. :-| I don't have a scanner big enuf to run the plats.....they measure about 22.5" x 17.5". I do have a project on the table.....drawing the metro using a program called PAINT. It is a time-consuming project.....no end in sight. (I have been searching for a better media than PAINT, to simplify the process.)

A Few Words About My Drawings
I am not a planner. Not much of an artist, either. With your "planner eyes" my plats most likely appear crude. Remember, though.....this is my hobby, not a billable presentation. The drawings are actually secondary in importance. My hobby joy comes from thinking about how a metro would grow, what would fill that metro (CBDs, transit, industry, recreation, geographic features, yadda). Statistics are big with me.....at last count my document file has 104 spreadsheets or Word documents.

An example for my penchant for realistic statistics: my multi-tab spreadsheet that focuses on the De Noc Metropolitan Park Board. Using real expectations for park acreage, softball diamonds, basketball courts, etc., as I draw new plats I attempt to bring my metro within standards. To meet minimum standards the De Noc Metopolitan Area should have at least 21,670 acres of parkland. Proud to say that the metro has 22,031 acres.....a 10.16 rating.....better than Los Angeles but less than Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Developing St. Vital
Yesterday I completed the drawings for a suburb in the northwest metro, St. Vital. Located north of De Noc's largest suburb, Fairhaven, and a tad west of the area's oldest suburb, Wildwood, St. Vital came in with a population of 22,180 (15th largest suburb). St. Vital started as a summertime (2010) project.

St. Vital's CBD is a typical suburban downtown, filled with mostly structures built in the 1950s and 1960s. Hardy Creek flows eastward just south of the main intersection, St. Vital Road and St. Francis Avenue. De Noc Edison's NW Row routes south of Hardy Creek until the small stream turns south. The Hardy Creek Greenbelt (DNMPB) begins a short distance from the CBD. Some of Plat 1's structures include the municipal buildings, a fire station, a mid-sized grocery store (Glen's), and a rental hall. When I draw a suburb I use a checklist so I don't forget important details.

Plat 2 is just west of the CBD. Hardy Creek is visible for only a short distance (turning due south toward Fairhaven). The Hardy Creek Greenbelt continues adjacent to the De Noc Edison NW Row. Some of St. Vital's few industrial facilities are located on this plat. Typical suburban retail and strip centers line St. Vital Road and St. Thomas Avenue.

Plat 3 is east of the CBD. The main geographic feature is where Hardy Creek flows into the south-flowing Elk River (actually more of a wide creek). Hardy Creek Park (DNMPB) is located where the two streams join. St. Vital Road and St. Michaels Avenue are both filled with common suburban retail and some office buildings.

Plat 4 is north of Plat 3. The main east-west artery is Wildwood Boulevard, junctioning with St. Michaels Avenue in this area. Jupiter Office Park dominates a sizeable portion of the plat, with numerous office buildings (and a large apartment complex adjacent). Gibralter Park (DNMPB) is situated along a portion of Wildwood Boulevard. This park is filled with softball diamonds, basketball courts, soccer fields, and racquetball courts.

Plat 5 is due north of the CBD (Plat 1). More common suburban retail, some light industry, and more office buildings line St. Francis Avenue and Wildwood Boulevard. You will be happy (not :-c:-o;)) to note that this plat includes a cul-de-sac subdivision, Stepping Stone Estates, with only a single entrance to the main arterial, Wildwood Boulevard. This plat also has a cluster of automobile dealers. Plat 5 also has an elementary school.

Plat 6 is the northwest drawing for St. Vital. St. Francis Avenue and Wolf Creek Road junction on this plat. Another large suburban office park, Yellow Tail Office Complex, abuts St. Francis Avenue. Paint ball fans take note: Color Smack Paint Ball Center (with a wooded area, small buildings, a large structure) is situated just south of the Lake County Reservoir #1.

A reservoir, when the metro is located adjacent to Lake Michigan? Yes......making an assumption that a number of reservoirs are necessary in the northern suburbs, some 15 miles north of the big lake.....and De Noc's "water crib" (out in the bay).

Plat 7 is the northeast drawing for St. Vital. It includes a portion of Elk Lake, Elk Creek, and rapids near the outflow into the creek.....you guessed it.....Elk Rapids. Elk Canal Park is here, with a small powerboat lock, allowing boaters to travel from Elk Lake to the huge Red Lake (in the center of the metro). The park also has a fishing pier.

Mason Hill Estates, another cul-de-sac subdivision, is located on the edge of lofty Mason Hill. Six sky-scraping condominiums are located on the shore of Elk Lake.....Forest Lake Towers and Elk River Condos. This plat also is the location of the high school, junior high school, and high school football stadium.

In addition to 1950s to 1970s residential, the skytowers (condos), the industry, and the mentioned retail, St. Vital also has a fair number of apartment complexes. The Hardy Creek Bike Trail also begins in the CBD, with a small parking lot for vehicles. Future plans call for continuing this bike trail to the north-by-northwest, eventually linking with the Northern River Bike Trail.
_____

And that's what has been happening with St. Vital. :)
_____

Super Bowl Sunday in De Noc has brought temperatures in the upper 20F range, with light snow expected. Tomorrow the temps will plummet. Highs will only be in the low-to-mid teens. Brrrr.

Bear

stroskey

Cyburbian
Sorry for asking twice. I draw maps all the time of fictional cities on graph paper that I tape together to form huge metro regions. For me the fun is the overall road maps and not as much what you are describing. Because of my method, I could easily scan the sheets into my computer but it appears we have different methods. I won't ask again!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bear, forgive me if you've already answered this, but how large would De Noc measure if you laid the entire thing out on the floor?

mgk920

Cyburbian
When is DeNoc going to make a play to get the Packers to move? ;)
Well, they already do have their own team, but they are so consistently and pathetically BAD that most of the area's NFL fans have 'family heirloom' season ticket accounts at Green Bay.

:b::D:b:

Mike

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well, they already do have their own team, but they are so consistently and pathetically BAD that most of the area's NFL fans have 'family heirloom' season ticket accounts at Green Bay.

Mike

The Western UP is Packer Country, not Lion's country! Besides, the townfolk of Green Bay own it and won't give it up for a bazillion trillion quadrillion dollars.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Answer Man Bear

Providing some answers and insight for those who inquired or commented.....

stroskey.....Not a problem that you asked twice. I feel bad that I just don't know how to give you a clear view of the drawings, aside from you reporting to Swanton, OH (Loma Linda adventure time ;)) for a look-see. Cool that you are also drawing "Amish" cities.....pencil and paper, straight edge and protractor, yadda. :)

Maister and DetroitPlanner.....laid out on a gymnasium floor the De Noc Metropolitan Area would be approximately 49' x 44'. That's pretty big. If I ever did that trick I would have to sort the drawings in such a manner that I could start at the CBD and fan out in different directions with each row. Stocking feet required, of course. ;):D

Seagate Centre looks a tad too big for my 2156 square feet. However, if placed in the center of one of the main exhibit halls it would leave plenty of walk-around room for the gang of geeks that would wander around the plats. Wine and cheese OK, but keep the staining wine away from the drawings. The outer drawings will be the newest (generally speaking). Probably OK to spill stuff on many of the central core drawings......I am gradually working my way through those 1960s-era drawings and redoing to make more realistic.

DetroitPlanner and mgk920.....De Noc has teams for the four major sports.....Superiors (NFL), Bobcats (NBA), Thunder Bears (MLB), and Laughing Whitefish (NHL). No desire among the populace to join any Packer bandwagon. :D
_____

Right now (Monday @ 6:00 PM) it is 14F in De Noc. Temps tomorrow will be in the mid-teens with lows near the 0F range. Brrrrr.....

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Interstate 43E

I do not usually work on my De Noc drawings during the week. However, I started prepping for more plat drawings late on Sunday and didn't get a chance to complete the pre-work. I did decide to go with the Whitefish Causeway (blasting north from Green Bay on the Door Peninsula) as Interstate 43E. The plats I am preparing for are corporate De Noc drawings 242 to 245 and 272 to 276. These plats are in the eastern Metro, north of Little Fishdam and Germaine Spring. Germaine Spring is not yet drawn but that far eastern suburb is planned as the entry point for I-43E.

To prepare for the drawings (and a logical routing of I-43E) I had to do a major overhaul to the interchange of I-298 and the Eastbelt Expressway. I-43E will have its' terminus at this junction. Fortunately, there was ample vacant acreage between some smaller industrial buildings, allowing I-43E to wander west to the junction. The creative interchange included bridges over East Creek, I-298, and the Eastbelt Expressway.

Westbound traffic on I-43E now can curve south and catch I-298 South, Indian Valley Parkway, or the southwest bound Eastbelt Expressway. Or one can curve north and motor on I-298 North. Traffic destined for Germaine Spring, the quaint towns on Northern Michigan's Garden Peninsula, or Wisconsin can catch I-43E South from either I-298 or the Eastbelt Expressway. Local traffic on Indian Valley Parkway can also head for the Whitefish Causeway via the newly-designed interchange.

This weekend.....so far on the horizon..... I will begin drawing these latest De Noc plats. :)

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Census Details: When?

This Bear remains anxious to get details on the 2010 Census, specifically city populations and metropolitan area populations. Very curious to see if De Noc and suburbs met growth estimates as reported a few years ago.

Anybody know when census figures for cities and metros will be announced?
_____

Temperatures are sliding back to normal in the Plastic City area. The forecast for the next ten days shows normal highs in the low-to-mid 20F range. Some snow in the air, too. It is mid-February.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Project 49 / Project 18A

Been working on a couple projects this weekend.....

Project 49
This has been a time-consumer. Finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. It involves going through every plat and grabbing information relative to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of De Noc. The project included the establishment of parish boundaries, allowing access to population/parish info. The metro has 69 parishes that support 315,491 registered Catholics (about 15% of the populace). The average parish has over 4000 people registered.....a rather large amount when compared to some other large metropolitan areas.

The largest parishes are St. Paul's (downtown Cathedral), St. Adalbert's (just north of the CBD, in the Capitol District), St. Luke's (just west of the CBD). The largest suburban parish is St. Hyacinth, in Mohawk Park (an eastern inner-ring 'burb). The metro also has 12 Roman Catholic high schools and 66 Roman Catholic elementary schools. The metro area's largest geographical districts are in the unincorporated township areas.

I do have some additional work to do on Project 49. Some of the largest parishes need to split-up into smaller units and a few quite small parishes need to be consolidated with adjacent parishes. Of course, any reassignments will need Papal Authority.

Project 18A
Metropolitan De Noc should have at least 200 grocery stores. The area has about 150, so I have been slowly working my way through plats to fill in gaps. The stores are listed by the following code:

Class A - Super size
Class B - Normal
Class C - Small, usually family-owned, often linked with groups such as IGA
Class D - Carryouts (beer stores, etc.)

Class D stores are not included in the count of approximately 150. Here is a list of the major grocery chains in Metropolitan De Noc:

WalMart (A) Just a few in the metro.
Meijer's (A) Just a few in the metro.
Food City (B) Metro area's largest chain.
Superior Foods (B)
Cub Foods (B) Just a couple in the metro.
Kroger's (B)
Safeway (B)
Farmer Jack's (B) Just a couple in the metro.
Cloverland Grocery (B)
Glen's (B) Metro area's fastest-growing chain.
IGA (C)

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are considering moves into the metro. We shall see.
_____

Temperatures in De Noc are expected to remain below-freezing for the next 10 days, with some snow showers. Sunday temperature high will be 27F.

Bear

Last edited:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Neighborhoods VS Plat Names

As often reported, this Bear is not a planner. Some of my decisions and/or reasoning will go against the normal planner-ilk grain. So be it.

Since I started drawing De Noc (1965-ish) I have given each plat drawing a name. Is that name the formal name of the neighborhood? Probably not, because I do know that many cities brand themselves with "distinctive neighborhoods". Quite sure these neighborhoods are products of environment, social groups, styles of dwellings, etc. I have never really attempted to establish neighborhoods in De Noc.

Should also note that De Noc's 314 plats have names but all of the suburban plats are simply numbered, such as Katie Shores 3, etc.

A Look At Some Plat Names
De Noc has 9 separate urban renewal districts (a product of my thinking in the 1960's). An example: Central City Renewal District Plat F. Some plat names simply indicate a major road intersection, such as the junction of Lexington Boulevard and Roxbury Hills Trail.....Lex-Rox. Many plat names reflect geographical surroundings, such as Rainbow Bay, Bungo Island, or Dancing Bear Lake. :D

In the 1960s I lived in a Toledo neighborhood called "Lincolnshire". The De Noc morphing is Londonshire. There is a plat in western De Noc, adjacent to Red Lake, that has a number of pleasure boat canals, with houses built next to the canals. That plat is called Boatland. Obvious.

A few plat names reference industrial parks, with an example being Kit Carson Industrial Park. Toledo has a neighborhood called "Westmoreland". De Noc has a plat called Southmoreland. Big commercial and retail areas are also placed in plat names, such as Blue Noque Quay, a relatively new area built on the shores of Lake Michigan's Big Bay De Noc (and somewhat modeled after Toronto).

Plats at or adjacent-to Northern Lights International Airport have plat names such as Taxiway Alpha. Quite a few plat names incorporate some sort of tree name or the term "wood". Examples include White Pine, Woodbrier and Woodbridge.

Finally, I also have a few silly names, most likely appearing when I was in a silly mood but still at the drafting table: Lump Run, Lemon Drop Rapids and Wet Bear :-c, among others.
_____

Temperature high today for De Noc will be about 37F. For the next week or so the De Noc area will have occasional snow showers, some cold rain, some sunshine.....and temps at or a tad below normal.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
De No - Plats 1 To 50

Time to share a few facts, issues, oddities, yadda, all related to De Noc plats 1 through 50. Most of these plats are redraws of the originals (from the mid-1960s). Enjoy the ride.....

No way the CBD can support 10 separate stand-along movie theaters. An obvious remnant on prior-to-1970s entertainment placement.

Not enough People-Mover stations in the CBD. There are 3 stand-alone stations and 4 stations that share facilities with the DNTS monorail system (transfer stations). The DNTS monorail system has a few other CBD stations. The east-west Red Line and the north-south Blue Line cross through the CBD.

The southeast corner of the CBD has a "destination" area, the Canal Street District. Clubs and restaurants include Clint's Bar, Rusty Chevy Tavern, Lasalle's Supper Club, Straw Dog Bar & Grille, Duke's Tavern, and Jean's Steak Bar. :p

City Park is long gone. It was a green area with about 20 acres just east of the CBD. When I did the rebuild of an interchange (during the I-98 widening project) the park went away. You hate me, don't you?

There is not enough open space in the CBD. I plan to fix that.

On the north end of the CBD there is an office building named Slant Tower. The 14-story building is not built on a slant.

The Plum Street Arts District is on the northern edge of the CBD. It includes:
Off-The-Wall Community Theater
Choo Choo Boutique
Mad Dog Community Theater
Plum Dawn Art Gallery
MacNamara's Gallery
De Noc Dance Academy
Hand Jive Gallery
Fat Moe's Jazz Club
Maxie's Bar & Grill
O'Banion's Pub
Kinetic Ener-Gee (Dance Club)

Interesting business name: Wholesale hardware distributor in the near-west end is named Screws-R-Us. :-c

Edgetowne Park, located on Devils Lake, is a short walk from the NW portion of the CBD. The park has no vehicle parking.....done on purpose to encourage walking to the park from the CBD. Access is via The Commons (on the property of City Museum) and a short jaunt across a pedestrian bridge (over the South Expressway).

I-98 and the South Expressway parallel each other for about one mile, near the CBD.

The De Noc Farmer's Market is on Denver Street, northeast of the CBD. The area also has a number of wholesale fruit and vegetable suppliers.

Parking for the State Capitol and the State Office Building is underground.

The De Noc Metropolitan Housing Authority (DNMHA) is considering tearing down 2 separate complexes: Grayling Crow Homes (5 each 8-story buildings) and James Harris Homes (6 each 8-story buildings). These are some of the oldest public housing facilities in the city.

DNMHA's Lincoln Park Homes (18 each 1-story buildings) are about a 3-block walk to public transit (via DNTS monorail's Forum Street Station).

Not sure why I placed a portion of the Southbelt Expressway under the skinny portion of Wayside Lake, in a vehicle tunnel. Dummy.

The Turtle Club is on El Cajon Boulevard with the facility's boat dock on Lake James. Just to the north is a short recreational boat canal that links with Devils Lake and Red Lake, the two largest inland lakes in the metro.

Interesting street name: Cold Cactus Boulevard.

Near Pioneer Park (home of MLB's De Noc Thunder Bears) is a fun bar: The Fowl Bull Tavern.

To ease traffic concerns on days with a sporting event or a special event (at any of the four stadiums within the De Noc Sports Complex) the residential neighborhood north of the parking areas has reversible-direction streets. This is the only area in the metro with this type of traffic routing.

About a year ago the De Noc Public School District shuttered three vocational high schools. At the same time the District opened a number of geographically-placed Skill Centers, attached to current high schools. Vocational High School, now empty, consists of two large school buildings and prime frontage on Orange Lake. Eventually the sale of this property could result in some big bucks for the District.

Red Lake Beach, about five miles west of the CBD, still has a square dance barn.

Paradise Island (90 acres, in Red Lake) has 3 yacht clubs and 38 summer cottages. The ferry service (operating about 8 months a year) will only haul a single vehicle for each cottage owner. The cottage owners must park in one of the six parking lots. The island does get a large number of visitors (tourists) during the summer season.....just for the dining and drinking.

Bayview Village is a De Noc neighborhood on a peninsula that separates Devils Lake from Red Lake. Residents on the south tip of the peninsula are only about 1000 feet from Michigan Shores State University. But to reach MSSU by vehicle it requires a 13-mile trip around the eastern shore of Devils Lake.

Metropolitan De Noc has its' share of manufacturing and distribution facilities that have closed. The latest number: 3,750,000 square feet of available "for lease" space. This number does not include the footage that was torn down.

Bear

mgk920

Cyburbian
The Turtle Club is on El Cajon Boulevard with the facility's boat dock on Lake James. Just to the north is a short recreational boat canal that links with Devils Lake and Red Lake, the two largest inland lakes in the metro.
And yet, no De Nocian will publicly admit to being a Turtle, will they?

:p

Mike

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Detailed Look At Plat 5

Here's a somewhat detailed look at De Noc Plat 5. Why did I chose this particular plat? No solid reason.....I was going through some plats as part of my research on another project (De Noc Regional Waterfront Partnership) and decided "why not?". :D

De Noc Plat 5
Central City Renewal District Plat C

This plat is just west of Plat 1 (Downtown) and the eastern portions of this plat are actually part of the Central Business District. Obviously, the original was drawn in 1965. The plat was redrawn again (perhaps 1980s?) and again a few years ago. It is quite dense and includes a ton of goodies.

Let's Explore
West Grand River Avenue (US 2) cuts through the center of the plat, east to west routing. The 8-lane main arterial does cut northwest at the far west end of the plat. There is a major interchange with the South Expressway. If you access the South Expressway southbound it will take you to south De Noc locations and south suburbs. Accessing to the north will lead you to I-98 Northbound and the Western Expressway (NM Route 8), routing to western De Noc and west suburbs.

California Street is a main street in the CBD. From this street you can access the South Expressway and the Western Expressway. City-owned California Street Parking Garage is also accessed via California Street. California Street burrows into a tunnel that takes vehicles under the South Expressway. After exiting the tunnel the street turns sharply south. One of the tallest and newest skyscrapers is near the tunnel exit/entrance, 600 Grand River Center (52 stories).

Other office skytowers on Plat 5 include the Clay Building (22), the Lamson Building (28), the Albert Building (32), the Republic Building (14), and the Lake County Board of Health Building (12). All of these buildings are pedestrian accessible in the climate-controlled De Noc SkyTube System. There is another city-owned garage in the southeast corner of the plat, West Towne Parking Garage. Suburbia Towers, three 40-story residential condominium buildings, are along California Street. A new Food City grocery store is also in this area.....a good feature for the numerous CBD residents.

The De Noc Transit System (DNTS) Red Line crosses Plat 5 but there is no station in this area. There is a major DNTS Service Yard. It is the prime maintenance facility for the metro's monorail line. The California Street Station (DNTS) is a few blocks east of the Albert Building (in the plat's NE corner). There are a considerable amount of railyards on this plat, primarily staging for the North Central Railroad's Central Yards.

There are two elementary schools on this plat.....Zolg and Fitch. At the busy junction of Western Avenue and Grand River Avenue there are a number of retail and service establishments. The plat has a small number of single-family homes, near the western edge.
_____

Temperatures for this weekend in Metropolitan De Noc are expected to reach highs of 40F, with some snow showers tonight. Just a few degrees below normal.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Regional Waterfront Partnership - Update

Back on Post 200 of this thread I introduced the De Noc Regional Waterfront Partnership, a comprehensive plan for the metropolitan waterfronts......including Lake Michigan's Big Bay De Noc and the many inland lakes. Here's an update on the plan's main features, a few years into the plan:

Grand Pond Initiative - A major expressway interchange design (I-98 and US 2) eliminated City Park, originally part of this initiative. Canal Linear Park was created, a water taxi service is now in place, a fishing pier was erected (on Orange Lake), and over 2000' feet of shoreline was converted to public use.

The Commons Project - The ampitheater was built and has become a public-event draw, the pedestrian walkway over the South Expressway was constructed, and Edgetowne Park (on Devils Lake) remains a great pedestrian-only splash of land in the CBD's northwest corner.

Lake James Initiative - Tax initiatives have been in place but there hasn't been much response, possibly due to economic conditions.

Lock The Basins Project - This project has been eliminated, due to cost and complications because of the potential removal of parking areas from Steinman High School.

Neverland Lake Initiative - Neverland Park (280) acres was created on industrial propoerty. The park, with significant shoreline on Neverland Lake, is the metro's only dog park and kite park. The DNTS's Des Plaines Station was rebuilt.

Fairgrounds Project - Eminent domain was considered :)-c) but the property valuations of the waterfront homes (Green Lake) considered "taking" was just too high. This project is cancelled.

King Creek Initiative - This project remains on "hold".

Sky King Airport Redevelopment Project - This former airport, once the home of the De Noc & Detroit Airline Company, was sold to the Catholic Hospital Group. Mercy Hospital, formerly on Oakland Boulevard (a few miles to the northeast), was built here. The area is now attracting other health care related organizations and businesses.

Bay De Noc Waterfront Initiative - Some waterfront development has altready taken place. Blue Noque Quay, loosely modeled after Toronto's waterfront, was built. It includes retail, public access, high-rise apartments and condominiums, and tour boat facilities
_____

Considerably below average temperatues today in De Noc. Expecting a high about 40F, with possible rain and snow showers. The normal temperature is 50F.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Census 2010

Local officials are quite please with the published results from Census 2010. The De Noc MSA gew by 7.1% over the 10-year period. Oddly enough, the core city, De Noc, grew at a 9.5% rate. That can be attributed to De Noc's continual corporate limit expansion into north and east townships. Let's take a look at how De Noc ranks.....

Largest Cities In USA
7. San Antonio (1,327,407)
8. San Diego (1,307,402)
9. De Noc (1,286,600)
10. Dallas (1,197,816)
11. San Jose (945,942)

Metropolitan Statistical Areas In USA
21. Denver (2,543,482)
22. Pittsburgh (2,356,285)
23. Portland (2,226,009)
24. De Noc (2,198,138)
25. Cincinnati (2,171,896)
26. Sacramento (2,149,127)
27. San Antonio (2,142,508)

Metro De Noc Details
Inner-ring suburb Elwood, the area's most-dense community, lost 10% of their population, a reduction of 6085. Only 2 miles away, middle-ring suburb Bywater saw their population increase by 6%. Apparently, out-migration continues, specially from inner-ring suburbs. Mohawk Park lost 4100 residents (6%), although this city retained its' status as the 2nd largest suburb of De Noc (64,240). The metro's largest suburb, the inner-ring city of Fairhaven, lost 2091 residents (2%). Fairhaven's population is now 102,489.

Outer-ring suburbs continued to grow, especially in the southwestern suburbs and along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Large increases included Winterwoods (11%, an increase of 2546), Bailey Creek (8.5%), and Alaska House (8%), all outer-ring suburbs.

Following Winterwoods with hefty percentage increases were St. Vital (10%), St. Jaques (9%), and Moss Lake (8.5%). all middle-ring suburbs. The only inner-ring suburb to increase in population was upscale Roxbury, at 2%. The unincorporated areas of the metro increased by 12%. Generally speaking, America's trends were also Metro De Noc's trends.

The De Noc Metro is one of a few larger metros that have a signifiicant percentage of their residents in the core city (58%). It should be mentioned that my "grand plan" includes 33 more suburbs to be drawn. Right now I have well over 400 plats and these additional drawings will increase that number by about 160 plats. And, because I have built-in the new routing of I-43E, the "grand plan" will likely get some additional suburbs in the Garden Peninsula area (SE Metro).
_____

Today's De Noc weather: High temperature below-normal, at 41F and rain showers. Easter Sunday's forecast calls for 50F and sunny. The average high is 50F.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Camp Seven

Last week I completed the drawings for the middle-ring suburb of Camp Seven. Originally a logging camp (many years ago) Camp Seven is now a formal city with a population of 11,310. It is the 27th-largest suburb in the Metropolitan De Noc area. The city is laid-out over just under six square miles, with a population density of 2185 people per square mile. 98 acres of Thunder Lake is within the corporate boundaries of Camp Seven. Van Dam Creek flows through parts of the city.

Camp Seven has 3 local interchanges on the Metropolitan Parkway - North (I-98 / I43E). Those interchanges are at Camp Seven Highway, Klondike Road, and Chicago Avenue. The Metropolitan Parkway - North also has a junction with Northern Michigan Route 128, a limited-access highway that slides across the northeastern Metro area.

The metro's huge monorail system (DNTS) also has a park-and-ride station in Camp Seven. It is on the system's Blue Line, which provides direct (no transfer) service to De Noc's CBD.

Camp Seven has numerous apartment complexes, two parks (Pony Hill Park and Houghton Street Park) with 45 acres, and a vibrant retail, lodging, and restaurant trade primarily located adjacent to Parkway interchanges. The retail clusters include some big box storefronts.

There are a few named housing developments: Running Bear Highlands, Van Dam Creek Estates, and Birch Landing. The city also sports a few industries, including a large defense-industry-oriented facility with 600 employees. Camp Seven also has a number of office parks.

Camp Seven High School, home of the "Bears", is located near the city's compact CBD. The Bears compete at a Class C level in the North Woods (Prep) League. There is also a middle school and a pair of elementary schools. The city has a number of churches, including the Roman Catholic parish of Divine Word. Also located within the city are the Lake County District Court - East, and the Lake County Animal Shelter - East.

Housing stock is primarily 1970s through 1990s, except in Camp Seven's CBD. Camp Seven is a fairly typical bedroom suburb.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Temp Update Oops

Usually when I submit a De Noc post I conclude with the current weather conditions in the De Noc Metropolitan Area. Ooops, forgot when I posted yesterday.

Current conditions:

Sunny, expected high in low 70F range, which is quite normal. Chance of rain on Monday with temps for the next ten days to remain at or slightly-below normal. Kick-axx wather! :)

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hotels &amp; Railyards

Been working on a couple De Noc projects.....

Hotels, Motels
Finally got around to listing all of the metro area hotels and motels, via Excel. It appears that Metropolitan De Noc is considerably underserved with lodging, although the De Noc CBD has apparently ample rooms. Some stats:

Total rooms: 15,555
CBD rooms: 7615 (Minneapolis has 5000 in their CBD)
Biggest Hotel: Grand Sheraton, De Noc CBD, with two 39-story towers holding 1600 rooms
National lodging chains represented: 17
National chain with the most locations: Holiday Inn, 6 metro sites
Local chains: 3 (Capitol Motels, Star Motels, Sunset Motels)

Aside from a few mom/pop units scattered in the area, a significant amount of newer lodging is (naturally) along the main interstates, especially I-98, I-43E, and I-298.

There are a few clusters of lodging, near significant venues. These clusters are located as follows:

Central Business District (Near the "shopping district")
Central Business District (Near the Convention Center)
State Capitol
Northern Lights International Airport
Superior Research Park

Should note that the CBD hotels are all connected to the climate-controlled SkyTube (pedestrian walkway) System and all have easy access to the CBD's People-Mover.

Looks like this Bear needs to add considerable hotels/motels as another project.

Railyards
Not sure if this info has ever been covered. The rail lines serving the metro area have a number of large railyards and some locomotive and railcar service yards. Should note that since I have been a model railroader forever and a day I still have some now-defunct rail lines in the De Noc Metro (and a few "homegrown" inventions). Details.....

North Central Railroad Company
Corporate Offices: Bailey Creek
Repair shops in De Noc and Bailey Creek
5 Yards (Total railcar capacity: 1310) (Largest yard @ 1000 railcars is primarily ore cars)

De Noc Beltway Railroad Company
Corporate Offices: De Noc
Repair shop in De Noc
1 Yard (Total railcar capacity: 300)

De Noc Trunk Line Railroad
Corporate Offices: De Noc
Repair shop in De Noc
1 Yard (Total railcar capacity: 40)

Soo Line Railroad Company
Northern Michigan Regional Offices: Moss Lake
(Limited) Repair shop in Moss Lake
1 Yard (Total railcar capacity: 16)
(A major yard on the drawing boards, to be located in NE suburbs)

I still plan on integrating into the metro the following rail lines:

Milwaukee Road
Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company

There is also a huge Trinity Industries, Inc. railcar manufacturing plant in suburban Alaska House.
_____

The De Noc area will see temperatures in the next few days falling back to near-normal.....mid-to-upper 70F range, with some chances for rain.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Hotels
to serve sports, business travellers, and conventions
I know you have mentioned sports, but what about a conventions center ?

RailRoads
what about intermodal facilities at the docks ? or within the railyards ?
what about passenger servive or light rail ?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
JNA, hopefully I can answer these questions:

Hotels
to serve sports, business travellers, and conventions
I know you have mentioned sports, but what about a conventions center ?

All four major sports teams (football, baseball, basketball, hockey) in De Noc play at the four stadiums that make-up the De Noc Sports Center, located very close to the CBD. These stadiums share the same parking areas and are served by the DNTS monorail system (2 stations) and the CBD's People-Mover. The People-Mover rolls past all of the downtown hotels. It also meanders past the Convention Center.
RailRoads
what about intermodal facilities at the docks ? or within the railyards ?
what about passenger servive or light rail ?

No intermodal facilities. Frankly, even though my metro exceeds 2 million people an effective intermodal would need to serve many more millions. In my alternate world I would guess that an intermodal facility would be traingulated by De Noc, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Milwaukee.

As for passenger service, many moons ago I wrote on this thread that De Noc was not serviced by Amtrak. A few responses indicated that the metro probably would, indeed, have Amtrak service. I do have a station on the northern edge of the downtown area, although it is marked "closed". Hmmmm......

Light rail is not necessary because of the huge DNTS monorail system and the CBD's People-Mover.

Good questions!

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Any bookstores besides a couple of closed Borders, the remaining B & N,

how about independent bookstore ?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Any bookstores besides a couple of closed Borders, the remaining B & N,

how about independent bookstore ?

Metropolitan De Noc has a pair of Borders stores, located in Brookley Mall (Brookley) and Park Center (Cinderdale). Barnes & Noble has a store at Northern Lights Mall (Katie Shores). There are a number of other bookstores scattered throughout the area.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Updated Stats

I presented these statistics and general info back in late August, 2009. Looks like a good time for an update. Everything presented, unless noted, is for the entire De Noc Metropolitan Area. Population stats are from Census 2010.
_____

De Noc, Michigan - Established August 28, 1848
De Noc, Northern Michigan - New state with De Noc as the capitol, August 28, 1948
De Noc, Northern Michigan - 1,286,600 (Ranked 9th)
Metropolitan De Noc - 2,209,448 (Ranked 24th)
Metropolitan Growth Rate, 2000 To 2010 - 7.4%
Largest Suburb - Fairhaven (102,489)
2nd Largest Suburb - Mohawk Park (64,240)
3rd Largest Suburb - Elwood (54,770)
Central City VS Suburbs: Population - 59% Of Population Is In De Noc Corporate Limits
Drawn Plats, De Noc - 284
Drawn Plats, Suburbs - 204
Estimated Re-Drawn Plats, Since 1965 - 100
"Built-Up" Area - 488 Square Miles (Includes Inland Lakes)
Inland Lakes - 27 (Includes some very small lakes designated as "ponds")
Largest Inland Lake - Red Lake
De Noc Land VS Inland Lake Land - 20% Inland Lake Acreage
Suburban Land VS Inland Lake Land - 10% Inland Lake Acreage
Lake Michigan Shoreline (In "Built-Up" Area) - 38 Miles
Elevation Of Highest Inland Lake - 609' Above Sea Level (Dancing Bear Lake)
Lake Michigan Elevation - 577' Above Sea Level
De Noc Population Density - 5423 / Square Mile
Suburban Population Density - 4613 / Square Mile

Average Daily High & Low, January - 25F / 7F
Average Daily High & Low, July - 77F / 58F
Snowfall Average, Southern Metro - 60 Inches / Year
Snowfall Average, Northern Metro - 80 Inches / Year
Average Annual Precipitation - 34 Inches

Manufacturing Employment - 130,662 (Ranked 13th)
Wholesale & Retail Trade Employment - 218,000
Health Care Employment - 105,000
Federal Government Employment - 18,500
Education Facilitites Employment - 56,000
State Of Northern Michigan Employment - 16,600

De Noc Public School Distict - 169,684 Students (Ranked 14th)
Metropolitan High Schools, Including De Noc - 129
Metropolitan Junior High Schools & Elementary Schools, Including De Noc - 129
Higher Education Students - 92,300
Major Universities - 3
Technical & Business Colleges - 4
Community (2-Year) Colleges - 2
Other Colleges - 5
Roman Catholic Archdiocese Of De Noc - 72 Parishes, 319,717 Population

Skyscrapers - 245 (10 Stories Or Higher)
Tallest Building - Star Tower (Observation Tower) (800')
Tallest Office Building - One Jackson Center (756')
Fortune 500 World Headquarters - 1 (Star, Inc.)
Major Industrial Parks - 9
Major Research Park - 1
Regional Shopping Malls - 2
Other Shopping Malls - 3
Major Shopping Centers - 10
Lifestyle Center - 1
Major Banks - 7 (With 205 Branches)
Minor (Single-Branch) Banks - 4
Credit Unions - 6 (With 14 Branches)
De Noc Edison Company - 3850 MW Capacity

Port Of De Noc - 11 Million Tons / Year (Ranked 50th)
Newspaper Circulation - Daily, Except Sunday (385,000) (2 Major Newspapers)
Newspaper Circulation - Sunday (490,000) (2 Major Newspapers)
Cemeteries - 13 (1993 Acres)
Convention Centers - 2 (De Noc, 600,000 Sq. Ft. & Westwinds, 180,000 Sq. Ft.)
Hotel Rooms - 15,555

Hospitals - 12 (5060 Beds)
Railroad Lines Serving Metropolitan Area - 6
State Highways - 7
Interstate Highways - 5
Federal Highway - 1
Freeway Lane Miles - 1182
Freeway Lane Miles Per/Capita - 1.86 Lane Miles For Every 1000 Population (Ranked 1st)
Neighborhoods With Recreational Boating Canals - 7
Superfund Sites - 1
Airport Operations - 850 / Day (Northern Lights International Airport)
Other Airports - 5 (Small Plane)

Major League Sports Teams & Stadiums - 4
Minor League Sports Teams & Stadiums - 2
World Television Network Headquarters & Studios - 1 (Overmyer Television Network)
Television Stations - 9
Radio Stations - 26
Casino Districts - 4
Regional Theater Groups - 14
Ballet Society - 1
Symphony Orchestra - 1
Movie Screens - 67

De Noc Transit System - Monorail (7 Lines, 112 Miles, 69 Stations)
De Noc Transit System - Downtown People Mover
De Noc Transit System - Katie Shores People Mover
De Noc Transit System - 825 Transit Busses
Transit Ridership - 13.75%
Regional Bus Lines - 2 (Greyhound & Short Way)
Taxi Fleets - 5
Enclosed Walkway In Central Business District - SkyTube
SkyTube - 21 Elevated Skywalks & 47 Underground Tubewalks

Parks & Beaches - 75
Urban Playgrounds - 49
Outside Skating Rinks - 52
Total Park Acreage - 22,646
Northern Michigan State Game Preserve - 1 (Big Rabbit Lake)
Golf Courses - 26
Class I Bike Paths - 97 Miles
Boat Launching Facilities - 17
Fishing Piers - 6
Recreational Boat Locks - 3
_____

Tons of data. Enjoy.

Geek Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How many fire depts ?
How many fire stations ?
How many Engines ?
How many Trucks ?
How many Rescues ?
How many Brush Engines ?
How many water rescue/fire boats ?
How many mobile command trailers ?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Fire &amp; Rescue Stations

JNA.....I should have added Fire & Rescue Stations to the big data list. De Noc now has 33 stations. All of the suburbs have at least one station, some of the larger 'burbs have more than one. I don't track equipment, so no data on that.

With 33 stations the City of De Noc is significantly under-served. I am working to fix that.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Norse Mountain

This Bear recently completed the drawings for Norse Mountain, a suburb in the northeastern metro. Surrounding suburbs are Mohawk Park (east), Joland (east), and Moss Lake (north). The southern corporate limits adjoin De Noc's corporate limits. The population of the city is 16,555, making it the 22nd-largest suburb in Metropolitan De Noc. Population density for the city is 2485 residents per/square mile.

The Metropolitan Parkway - East (I-298/I-43E) transverses the west side of the city, with an interchange at Yankee Avenue. U.S. 2, East Grand River Avenue, touches the south portion of the city. The CBD is primarily at the junction of White Pine Road, Northeastern Boulevard, and Snowshoe Avenue. The CBD includes a large regional respiratory care center, numerous strip shopping centers (most with 10 storefronts or less), some stand-alone retail, automobile dealers, and grocery stores. The DNTS (Red Line) has a station in the CBD with a large Park & Ride lot. Two bike trails meet at the DNTS station, the Francis Bike Trail and the East De Noc Bike Trail.

The EPA has a large recycling facility in Norse Mountain. Industries include chemical recovery facilities, machine repair, battery manufacturing, fire extinguisher manufacturing, and other smaller job shops. Office parks include Eagles Landing, Hampton, and Stonybrook. The city has a fair number of apartment complexes and condominium complexes. In addition to the respiratory care center mentioned above the city boasts a large number of medical facilities, including the metro's largest union-affiliated medical center.

Catholic parishes serving the community include Christ the Divine Teacher and Divine Word. The public school district includes Norse Mountain High School, a junior high school, and 3 elementary schools. The Norse Mountain Vikings (Class C) play in the Suburban Lakes League.

Elevation changes are quite apparent in the city, with a few larger and more prominent hills being named. There is no Norse Mountain but there is a Norse Hill, in the far northeastern corner of the city. Other named hills in this area include Drake Hill and Reese Hill. Plate Creek tumbles through a portion of the city, near Norse Hill. The southwestern portion of the city includes frontage on Lake St. Paul's Breast Bay. A DNMPB fishing pier is located here. Recreational facilities include Brownstone Park, Barack Obama Playground, Drake Hill Playground, and the Shadowfax Golf Club.

I also placed another traffic circle (roundabout) in Norse Mountain, at the junction of Lakemont Avenue, Silver Street, and White Pine Road. And, having some fun with names, I continued the southward routing of Bubble Puppy Avenue. This road slides down from the far northeastern area of De Noc.
_____

Temperatures today in De Noc are in the upper 20F range, a bit below normal. Some snow flurries today but the holiday week promises to be back to normal or slightly-above normal temperatures.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Better Than Atlanta?

This Bear recently browsed "The Urbanophile"'s blog. Read an interesting article where the author questions whether or not fast growth will continue in Atlanta (and the Atlanta Metro). One of his POV is the infrastructure, specifically water, limited-access highways (freeways, etc.), and transit. Linky below.....

http://www.urbanophile.com/

The article revved-up my somewhat-dormant brain cells. Started wondering, is Metropolitan De Noc in a similar situation?

Water
Not a problem with De Noc (or any other Great Lakes community). Aging systems still a concern BUT the water is out there, usually pumped-in from an intake crib situated some distance from the shore. The De Noc water intake crib is 5 miles from the shore. Plans are for a second crib. There are also some above-ground reservoirs in the northern suburbs, fed by water from the Bay De Noc crib.

Transit
As mentioned in previous posts, De Noc has a superb monorail system. The system has plenty of stations (69) and sufficient mileage (112) to move pedestrians on 7 different main lines.

Limited-Access Highways
Metropolitan De Noc is criss-crossed by a large number of limited-access highways. The metro has an outerbelt (Metropolitan Parkway). On the northwest it is tagged I-498. On the southeast it is marked I-298. The east portion has I-43E and I-98. I-98 rolls through the core city, skirting the CBD, and turning west (again as part of the Metropolitan Parkway loop). Other major expressways criss-cross the metro including the Western Expressway (NM-8), the Southbelt Expressway, the Sault Ste. Marie Expressway (NM-128), and the Eastern Expressway. A fair number of limited-access "feeders" move traffic from industrial and commercial districts to the primary expressways.

The only toll roads (at this time! :-c) are on the Garden Peninsula (I-43E, The Whitefish Tollway & Causeway) and beginning in the northern suburbs (I-43E, The Superior Tollway). The Whitefish Tollway winds down the Garden Peninsula and morphs into The Whitefish Causeway, island-jumping across Green Bay to the top of Wisconsin's Door Peninsula. The Superior Tollway rolls through the forest, terminating at Marquette, Northern Michigan (where it meets with I-43W).
_____

From my somewhat-slanted POV, De Noc is in a better position than Atlanta. :)

Bear

NOTE: Temperatures in De Noc today are in the mid-40F range, with rain. The rain changes to snow on Sunday. No major accumulations are expected.

Last edited:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
De Noc Metropolitan Park Board (DNMPB)

A number of years ago I researched "best practice" recreation and park standards, hoping to apply those numbers to my giant fake metro. My assumption is that all of the metro communities were included in the realm of the De Noc Metropolitan Park Board (DNMPB). I later ammended the assumption to NOT include the surrounding townships, primarily because I haven't drawn those townships. Today's post brings you a few facts and tidbits related to the parks, beaches, and other public recreation facilities in Metropolitan De Noc.

Metropolitan Population (Drawn Plats) - 2,149,058
Total Acreage, All Facilities - 22,732
If at standard - 21,491 acres (Thus, I am plus-1241 acres :))

Total Facilities* - 268
* Parks, beaches, forest preserves, greenbelts, playgrounds, outside skating rinks, public access sites, fishing piers, toboggan run, major structures (such as heated shelter houses)

Softball/Baseball Diamonds - 134
At 87% standard; obviously need more; also going to indicate the diamonds that have lights and bleachers

Soccer Fields - 95
At 49% standard; obviously need many more; inner-city areas extremely under-served

Basketball Courts (Half-Courts) - 260
At 54% standard; obviously need many more; suburban areas extremely under-served
I question my over-the-years thought process: Did I use racial bias when placing large number of courts in core city?

Tennis Courts - 369
At 103% standard

Handball/Raquetball Courts - 49
At 27% standard; obviously need many more
_____

The largest park is Nahma Junction Park (1300 acres), located in the city of Nahma Junction. Second-largest park is Southeastern Park (1050 acres), located in the southeastern portions of the city of De Noc. The smallest parks: Rutgers Pocket Park (5 acres), located in suburban Moss Lake and Northwood Beach (5 acres), located on Lake St. Paul in northeastern De Noc. Most of the 51 playgrounds are 3 acres or less. All playgrounds within the corporate limits of De Noc are named after U.S. Presidents.

There are 2 greenbelts.....Sturgeon River Greenbelt (5224 acres) and Hardy Creek Greenbelt (105 acres). Greenbelts have no facilities except for walking paths. a nature center, and an observation hill. One of the newest parks is Neverland Park (280 acres), located in the city of Des Plaines. Neverland Park is a combination Dog Park and Kite Park. It is on the site of a large plastics manufacturing plant that closed in the 1990s.
_____

When I prepare to draw another set of plats, either De Noc plats or another suburb plats, I review my list of parks and check adjacent areas. This review helps me to work toward meeting standards. Another issue that I will be reviewing is the population data near park and recreation facilities. My best guess is that I have over-built parks in some areas and under-built in other areas. I also will attempt to route bus lines near parks, when possible, as I develop bus routes for my metro.....a project already started.
_____

This "armchair planner" feels pretty damn confident that most of the recreation and park details from my fake city is well-within-normal for a metro of this size. :)

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What no indoor
ice rings for youth/club hockey ?
swimming pools ?

Another use of a basketball court - olympic fencing.

What no outdoor sand volleybal courts ?

What about fitness trails/ parcourse ?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Answer Man Bear

What no indoor
ice rings for youth/club hockey ?
swimming pools ?

Another use of a basketball court - olympic fencing.

What no outdoor sand volleybal courts ?

What about fitness trails/ parcourse ?

As always, thanx, JNA, for good questions. Some answers for ya.....

Only a single indoor skating/hockey facility operated by DNMPB. It is located at Baldwin Park in the suburb of Red Sand. Obviously, I need more. Should note that there are about a dozen indoor skating/hockey facilities that are privately-owned and operated. The ice in these rinks is rented for high school hockey games. (There are 31 high schools in the metro that put hockey teams on the ice. These are the bigger student population schools.)

There are no indoor swimming pools operated by DNMPB. Another weakness identified. :-c

The De Noc Metropolitan Park Board (DNMPB) does operate three indoor basketball/volleyball gymnasiums. They are located at Delta Park and New Noc Park (in De Noc) and Baldwin Park (in Red Sand). Still another weakness identified!

Even though not identified, we have to assume that many of the parks have fitness trails included in their marked trail/pathway systems.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Winter Arrives!

Finally winter arrives in Metropolitan De Noc. The forecast for the next 10 days call for below-normal temperatures for some of those days. And some snow. Not a lot. Very little on the south side (Lake Michigan) of the metro but heavier amounts as you wander into the northern suburbs. The mid-week high temp will hover around 15F. Brrrrrrrrr......

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Numbered Routes

For those who wondered about numbered routes (state and national) and whether or not Metropolitan De Noc has too few, too many.....

US 2
This is the only national route (non-interstate) that slices through the metro. US 2 enters the metro from the west, signed as Escanaba Highway as it enters suburban Bailey Creek. The routing delivers the driver on a swing northward, going through Alaska House, western parts of De Noc, and then through Winterwoods and Hiawatha. US 2 is signed as West Grand River Avenue as it works its' way toward the De Noc CBD. After crossing NM 99 in the CBD, US 2 continues eastward as East Grand River Avenue. Suburbs (drawn) that it slides through include Mohawk Park and Norse Mountain.

I-98
Arriving in the metro from the east (and an intersection with I-75 just north of the Mackinac Bridge), I-98 cruises the area as part of the Metropolitan Parkway - North, the Northern Michigan Expressway (north-to-south, including on the eastern edge of the CBD), Metropolitan Parkway - South, and exiting the metro signed for the Southbelt Expressway.

I-498
This is the Metropolitan Parkway - North (west of the turn south of I-98) and the Metropolitan Parkway - West.

I-298
This is the Metropolitan Parkway - East and the Metropolitan Parkway - South (east of the interchange with I-98).

>>>>>Note: The Metropolitan Parkway is a traditional metro outerbelt. Most of it has been drawn.

I-398
Spurring-off the Metropolitan Parkway - South (I-98), this stub interstate takes the driver to the CBD of south suburban Katie Shores. It is signed as the Sturgeon Valley Parkway.

I-43E
In my alternate world, I-43 splits in Green Bay, WI. I-43W rolls north from Packerland to Marquette, NM. I-43E ambles through the Door Peninsula and island-hops Lake Michigan, known as the Whitefish Causeway. Finally past the islands, I-43E rolls through the Garden Peninsula and slices westward through (still-to-be-drawn) eastern suburbs, finally junctioning with I-298 (Metropolitan Parkway - East). I-43E continues to to I-98 (Metropolitan Parkway - North) and turns west. At the junction with the Northern Michigan Expressway (I-98, turning south) I-43E turns northwest, with toll booths located here. At this point, I-43E is signed as the Superior Tollway. I-43E works its' way NW to Marquette, NM.

NM 8
Northern Michigan Route 8 begins its westward trek at the western edge of De Noc's CBD. This 8-lane expressway wanders near the south shore of Devils Lake and Red Lake. The route, signed as the Western Expressway, touches the suburb of Des Plaines and re-emerges in western De Noc. This route is not completely drawn. It will eventually junction with I-498 (Metropolitan Parkway - West).

NM 66
This signed state route transverses the northern portions of the metro. Its' eastern terminus is in the distant city of Manistique, NM. Western terminus, to be determined. It is signed as the Roxbury Trail (excepting the far western portion, signed as Domino Lake Road).

NM 99
This state route rumbles through De Noc's CBD, north to south. NM 99 in the southern portions of De Noc and in the south suburbs of Elwood, Indian Springs, and Red Sand, is signed as Long Lake Boulevard. North of the CBD it be comes the Blue Ridge Parkway (not a limited-access road). The Blue Ridge Parkway rolls past the Northern Michigan State Capitol and the huge De Noc Museum of Science & Industry complex. My plans are to eventually junction NM 99 with I-43E (Superior Tollway), probably in the still-to-be--drawn suburb of Rumble Lake.

NM 102
This is the oriignal routing of US 2, along the Lake Michigan (Big Bay De Noc) shoreline. It works its way through southern De Noc and a number of suburbs, including Bailey Creek, Katie Shores, and Nahma Junction. Still a lot to be drawn for this route.

NM 109
This is the primary state route in the eastern portions of De Noc. NM 109 also touches St. Jaques. It is signed for the East Harbor Trail (partly) and Gulf Avenue (partly).

NM 128
This limited-access highway is also known as the Sault Ste. Marie Expressway. It begins its' northeastern routing with an interchange with I-98 (Northern Michigan Expressway), just northeast of De Noc's CBD. The SSM Expressway terminates with an interchange at I-98/I-43E (Metropolitan Parkway - North).
_____

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
De Noc Edison

Metropolitan De Noc is served by De Noc Edison Company, 913 East Arizona Street, De Noc, Northern Michigan. In addition to a fair number of maintenance/service yards scattered throughout the metro there is also a second office, the Bayview Office, 2095 East Schoolcraft Road, De Noc, Northern Michigan. Some other stats:

Central De Noc Generating Station
Located in De Noc
Coal-fired (fossil fuel)
450 MW capacity

South De Noc Generating Station
Located in Rockland
Coal-fired (fossil fuel)
450 MW capacity

East Do Noc Generating Station
Located in De Noc
Natural gas-fired
450 MW capacity

Bayview Generating Station
Located in De Noc
Coal-fired (fossil fuel)
450 MW capacity

Sac Bay Nuclear Generating Station
Located on the Garden Peninsula
2 units (nuclear powered)
Unit 1 - 950 MW capacity
Unit 2 - 1100 MW capacity

CLOSED: North De Noc Generating Station
Located in De Noc
Coal-fired (fossil fuel)
450 MW capacity

De Noc Edison's connections to the "grid" include Upper Peninsula Power Company, Northern Power & Light, Consumer's Power, Cloverland Electric Co-Op, Wisconsin Power Company, and Edison Sault Electric. Unfortunately, new environmental regulations may signal the end for the older units (Central and South). These regs could lead to a 2015 closure of these plants, likely forcing De Noc Edison to purchase more service on the "grid".
_____

Temperatures in De Noc today are expected to be in the low-30F range. Later in the week it will get much colder, with some snow showers in the forecast.

Bear

mgk920

Cyburbian
^^
Going on the assumption that '100 Mw = 1 trainload of coal per week' for coal-fired power plants, that's between two and three unit coal trains going though my area in each direction on their way to and from those plants per day. That's a lot of rail freight tonnage and along with other traffic, that means that the area is a popular place with trainwatchers.

:)

[political aside]BTW, but I am sensing a strongly increasing pressure from Congress to ease back on those latest environmental rules, the Sorcerer's Apprentice's broomsticks have been getting a wee bit too busy these days![/political aside]

Mike

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
^^
Going on the assumption that '100 Mw = 1 trainload of coal per week' for coal-fired power plants, that's between two and three unit coal trains going though my area in each direction on their way to and from those plants per day. That's a lot of rail freight tonnage and along with other traffic, that means that the area is a popular place with trainwatchers.

Mike

Agree, somewhat. Some of the coal drags heading into Metropolitan De Noc are filled with "western" coal.....supposedly it burns cleaner. I am assuming that North Dakota/Montana/Wyoming coal would fill consists that slice across northern Wisconsin, a tad north of Appleton. Also, during Great Lakes' shipping season you will see regular inbound lake freighters dropping coal at the dock adjacent to the Bayshore Generating Station. That Appalachian Range coal is loaded in Toledo and shipped to the Port of De Noc.

Bear