• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Dead End

Streck

Cyburbian
Better name than "Dead End"?

Is there a better name for a cul-de-sac or dead end other than "dead end" for traffic control signage?

Jen

Cyburbian
Try "No Outlet"

Still we get the sightseers & ruggeds asking "Ain't this where the public landing is?"

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
The standard UK dead end sign is attached. The highway code has it as "No through road for vehicles".

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Journeymouse said:
The standard UK dead end sign is attached.
That looks like "Boston rapid transit station." It's probably a better pictogram than abything else out there, though.

No outlet = the road you're on is the only way to access a street or group of streets.

Dead end = a road that does not continue to join another street.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
hmmm...i've always liked dead end...esp when the dead end is abutting a cemetery...

but i guess in the 'burbs you need to be more PC...so tell it like it is:

Geoffrey

Why not just say it like it is "DEAD END". You need to worn people who are not familar with the street that it is is a dead end. I think there is nothing clearer or more understood by the driver.
For those developers how choose use alot of dead ends in there streets pattern, I say tuff. anything else is week, confusing and pointless.

A culdesac should be signed "Dead Catapillar". Thats what they look like on a the site plan.

Alternatively, I propose we band culdesac.

el Guapo

Capitalist
This sign says "dead end" also

If you can't read it -it says "Sniper at Work."

Streck

Cyburbian
Wow! What great posts!

Thanks for the photos!

I was thinking that "dead end" was kind of negative, and there might be another word (or symbol) to use.

Any more?