• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Dean trips

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

At 10:45 CST, John Kerry's got 38% in the Iowa caucuses, and John Edwards has 32%. Howard Dean, the darling of prominent Democrats, is third with 18%. Gephardt's out.

Clark was my favorite, but he's got only three delegates out of Iowa so far. I do like Edwards, though, as does the Kooch - he's telling supporters to back him as a second choice. If anyone can beat Bush, it's Edwards or Kerry. I don't think Dean can pull it off, and Democrat voters are realizing that.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/19/elec04.prez.main/index.html

Wow ...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
It was Kerry, Edwards, then Dean at my caucus. There were not enough Gephart supporters to earn a delagate. I heard that Gephart will drop tomorrow.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Well being from NC I support Edwards, all around great guy. Time to send Dean packing right with Bush 2.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I can't say I was suprised by last nights returns, however, I really didn't expect Dean to falter so much until they reached South Carolina. I for one would love to see a Kerry/Edwards (maybe Clark) ticket this fall. IMO this would be the only combo with any real chance of winning against Bush come November.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
biscuit said:
I can't say I was suprised by last nights returns, however, I really didn't expect Dean to falter so much until they reached South Carolina. I for one would love to see a Kerry/Edwards (maybe Clark) ticket this fall. IMO this would be the only combo with any real chance of winning against Bush come November.
Kerry/Edwards really would be the dream ticket.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am so glad Dean lost. He stands no chance against Bush. I agree with him on a lot of issues, but Bush supporters are salivating at the chance for a Bush vs Dean because they are confident that they can make Dean look bad.

The Dems loved Wes Clark when he entered the race because of his military career but every week there is another sound bite of him heaping praise on Bush. LIberman is as Dean calls him "Bush Light." He is far to conservative to win the Democratic nomination. He hasn't really offered up any reason to elect him. Plus he has this arrogant, whiny demeanor that drives me nuts.

I will likely vote for Edwards. He has remained positive and it worked in his favor. I also like Kerry and he has the coveted military background that people seem to think is essential.

el Guapo

Capitalist
They all suck.

:-c Weasel Clark sets off all my warning alarms, just like Slick Willie did way before he made his first New Hampshire primary appearance. Coming from a military society I can tell you the man has a reputation within the military that would scare the crap out of you democrats. I'd rather have Dean than Clark in the Oval Oraface.

Don't say you didn't hear it here first, from the Guap.

The problem with this primary business is the press has yet to really investigate him or the others. It is not in their interest. I believe they prefer to play the roll of pre-election spoiler to that of early vetter. Clinton's many gaffs, Arnold's verGropenGate, Bush's DUI,... Remember all of these and other many October suprises?

This strategy makes their evil media controlling overlords more money that way.

To the naysayers, I do think a democrat can win in 2004, (Sorry for the this damning judgement of the American electorate) , but not if my main-man Ralph Nader runs again!

Run Ralph Run!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I agree Guap, Clark is stinky, something sets off my RUN alarm.

Edwards/Kerry or Kerry/Edwards looks good to me.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Kerry/Edwards really would be the dream ticket.
let's hope these two realize that! i'll be in NH this weekend working on the primary with Kerry...be happy to tell all about it monday if anyone is interested.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My prediction is that Nader will run....but in October he will drop out, endorse the Democratic nominee and urge his supporters to vote for the Dem because Bush needs to be removed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
GeogPlanner said:
lI'll be in NH this weekend working on the primary with Kerry...be happy to tell all about it monday if anyone is interested.
Please enlighten us when you get back!

One thing that's disappointing with the two frontrunners so far is their stand on health care; no mention of universal health coverage, although they do want to expand Medicare/Medicaid and cover children. That should leave the US at 4% uninsured, which is still too high IMHO. I really don't want this patchwork of Medicare, Medicaid, private coverage, and whatnot, but ... sigh.

Kerry and Edwards both have a chance of beating Bush. Kerry may be from New England, which is supposedly a negative, but he's a veteran, and should appeal to Republicans and conservative Democrats, as well as veterans concentrated in the South and Rocky Mountain region. Edwards is a Southerner, and he rolled a 17 for charisma. He's enthusiastic and well-spoken. It'll be tough choosing between the two.

Dean seems to have a more aggressive health care policy, but I just don't think he can defeat Bush. I'd love to see the Kooch get some support, but I don't think it's gong to happen.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
el Guapo said:
Run Ralph Run!
... so the liberals are split again, and Bush can get four more years, huh?

Just a reminder to the Republicans of Cyburbia: a vote for Bush in 2004 is a vote for Hillary Clinton in 2008. Think about it.

Go ahead ... pull that Bush lever ...

:-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I agree 100% with El Guapo's assessment of Clark. Something about him doesn't feel right, and it isn't helped any by the commercials his campaign is running in Wisconsin. Dean was hyped by the media, but anybody who pays attention to politics knows that you have to look at who the active rank and file members of a party support.

Having decided to abandon the republican party until they start to represent me once again, I have been a supporter of Kerry.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Kerry has the requisite gravitas for president; Edwards does not, IMHO.
What bothers me about Kerry is the difficulties he has had managing his campaign.
Kerry, if he gets the nomination, will have to look beyond Edwards as vp: probably somewhere out west to try to wrest California from the gubernator.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
What bothers me about Kerry is the difficulties he has had managing his campaign.
Kerry, if he gets the nomination, will have to look beyond Edwards as vp: probably somewhere out west to try to wrest California from the gubernator.
One thing you can say about Kerry is that despite his missteps a few months back, staff changes and all, he managed to bounce back beautifully. That is a strong testement to the type of candidate he may be. Whoever gets the nomination will get brutalized by the Bush people and I think Kerry has already shown that he can take a beating and pull back... very important in my opinion. I was already counting him out thinking Dean had a lock on this thing. I've always liked Kerry and even worked for him when I was in college. I think he'll be a great candidate. However, as Dan and someone else said, he will have to fight the liberal Massachusetts repuation (remember Dukakis?), but with his military background, clear intelligence, I think he might be able to pull it off.

Edwards seems like a great guy, too. But I think his resume is still too light for President. He's only been in the Senate for 4 years and before that all he did was sue for medical malpractice.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I was split between Kerry and Edwards until Sunday. Edwards was asked about his stand on gay marrige. His answer was "Let's leave that to the states, there are bigger problems in this country that need attention." That just happened to be exactly what I said when our local Federal Representative was going off about the Judge in Sioux City that granted a lesbian divorce.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Although I agree with you that Edwards perhaps lacks the "gravitas," as you put it, Kerry is going to need him as a VP candidate should he gain the nomination. It may turn out that Edwards suprises everyone, but from day one I've had the feeling that he has been running for Vice President the entire time. Setting his politics in the middle, staying out of the attacks on the front-runner, this is the behavior of someone who doesn't want to tick anyone off. Besides ANY ticket from the Democratic Party these days has to include a moderate Southerner in oder to have the slightest chance of success. Otherwise white Democrates (who are often moderates) and swing voters in the South will go Republican.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Although I agree with you that Edwards perhaps lacks the "gravitas," as you put it, Kerry is going to need him as a VP candidate should he gain the nomination. It may turn out that Edwards suprises everyone, but from day one I've had the feeling that he has been running for Vice President the entire time. Setting his politics in the middle, staying out of the attacks on the front-runner, this is the behavior of someone who doesn't want to tick anyone off. Besides ANY ticket from the Democratic Party these days has to include a moderate Southerner in oder to have the slightest chance of success. Otherwise white Democrates (who are often moderates) and swing voters in the South will go Republican.
I think you're right. If Kerry were to get the nomination though, I bet he'd look for a Southern or Western governor for a VP. Two Senators on the same ticket would look bad. Bush would have a field day with that. But, are there even any Southern Democrat governors? I know the governor of VA is a Democrat, but he just was elected and probably hasn't been tested politically yet. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is very impressive. He was a congressman and ambassador to the UN.

We'll see. Dean might still stage a comeback next Tuesday in NH and he has people fighting for him in every state. I think he's a certain loser, though.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I know my vote for Tuesday is still up in the air......I was a strong Gephardt supporter in his previous runs....but knowing he's gonna drop soon has left me torn between Kerry and Edwards....I'm still not sold on Massachusetts politicians.....

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I agree. His campaign sputtered along. I think image was a big problem too. I have this hypothesis. A candidate cannot be elected if you cannot see his/her eyes...look at Kerry over the summer and look at him now...trimmed eyebrows. I had a hard time supporting someone who's eyes were in the shadows of a prominent brow. But since you started to see his eyes more, his numbers went up...a little queer eye never hurt anyone it seems ;-)

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Don't Suffer From Crystal Ball Disease

Crystal Ball Alert!

Crystal Ball Alert!

Dan said:
Crystal Ball Alert!

Today, on his syndicated radio show, radio personality Rush Limbaugh predicted the Democratic ticket would end up being Edwards-Clinton, to vet her out for the 2008 election.

Crystal Ball Alert!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I don't really get the big deal about Dean's "intense" speech in Iowa. The news channels act as if he literally went nuts. I mean it was funny to see him yelling like the Macho Man Randy Savage, but he was in front of his cheering supporters and did laugh afterward. I'm not a Deaniac or anything I just think its very overblown.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I agree with you Seabishop. But it was pretty funny though.

Did anyone hear the Howard Stern "Dean Sings" this morning. It was nice how they used Dean's excited sound bites yelling out state names.

pretty nice.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I didn't see Dean's little outburst on tv but have read a lot about it. I don't know what to think of it, but if it turns out to be characteristic of the man, then we should run, run run as fast as we can.

What I worry about with Edwards is that he isn't saying anything or worse he's saying nothing. If that's his M.O. to get the VP, I think everyone would see through that as "brown-nosing". Personally, I think Dixie is mostly a lost cause for the Dems unless somebody stumbles onto a hot button issue (did I hear someone say NASCAR Championship??)*: the northeast, upper-midwest and California are "must haves" for victory in '04.

*Just kidding, Dixie :-D

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
mendelman said:
Did anyone hear the Howard Stern "Dean Sings" this morning. It was nice how they used Dean's excited sound bites yelling out state names.

pretty nice.
Heard it this morning, and was laughing way too much for 7:30 in the morning. :)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I agree with you Seabishop. But it was pretty funny though.

pretty nice.
i laughed soooo hard driving to work listening to that. and they keep showing dean's "aarrrrrhhhh" on TV over and over again