• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Dear Prudence

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Last time i saw a pic-good old Prudence did not have a big backside nor do i think hes the sort to develop one-seems like a gym rat to me

YUMMY!

*goes back to reviewing her little subdivision with nasty thoughts*

Jeff

Cyburbian
Another topic to really get my morning started of right. How in the hell can you sue a company because you are a lard ass because you ate their fat pills for breakfast lunch and dinner and never excersied a day in your life?

This is gonna be a great day, I can see it already.

Runner

Cyburbian
How in the hell can you sue a company...
Because it worked against tobacco, is being tried against firearms, etc. The reason: too many shysters and not enough ambulances for them all to chase.

prudence

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Last time i saw a pic-good old Prudence did not have a big backside nor do i think hes the sort to develop one-seems like a gym rat to me

YUMMY!

*goes back to reviewing her little subdivision with nasty thoughts*

PG - Thanks for the nice words. I do not eat at McDonalds and only occassionaly do I eat fast food. I will admit I am fearful of becoming larger, especially around the middle...I admit that I am somewhat vain, or concerned about my appearance. There will be no posts of my arse (to the relief of many)...

I will agree with many of the posts...how is it a company's fault for an individuals lack of restraint?? People have a choice: consume or do not consume. We NEED tort reform. And it is not the government's responsibility to regulate the nutritional value of fast food.

My family owns a regional ice cream company named Cedar Crest. I was raised on ice cream. It was nothing to eat a 1/2 gallon in a sitting. I have consumed more ice cream than I care to admit. But I have always led a very active life...I am 6'2" in height and weigh 190 lbs. If I get fat it is definitely my fault for letting it happen. It is all about accountabililty...

People become obese overnight. It doesn't sneak up on you. If you are standing in front of a full length mirror amd you don't fit, there is propably a cornern. Changes are ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you don't try to stay somewhat fit and healthy, you are being selfish. Think of your family and friends...a man should want to stay attractive for his wife/girlfriend, and a woman should want to stay attractive for her man. I am not saying to be fit for society's sake, but for the person they love... People should not risk dying before their "time." Think of your children who may have to live without you...

I am going to catch hell for this post...

Now if you don't mind I have to find some land to develop into a subdivision in VA...

Habanero

Cyburbian
prudence said:
...I am 6'2" in height and weigh 190 lbs.
hubba hubba..

:)

but seriously, I posted this because you (Prudence) were asking about the Krispy Kremes. I find that the "accountability" argument is just that; when Southwest Airlines restarted the "pay for two seats" program for those people that needed two seats, I cheered. I do recognize that there are medical problems, but I don't think the US on a whole has a medical problem that makes us the fattest in the world, we have an eating problem. I know that regardless that people I'm close to will love me regardless of my size, I enjoy going to the gym because not only do I feel better mentally, I know that the commitment to sweating through an hour at the gym is going to add that many more years to my life.. considering how much alcohol I consumed during college, I hope this pretty much evens the score with all of those pesky "free-radicals".

TexasPlanner said:

I know that the commitment to sweating through an hour at the gym is going to add that many more years to my life.. considering how much alcohol I consumed during college, I hope this pretty much evens the score with all of those pesky "free-radicals".
Tex, I really couldn't have said that any better!

Jeff

Cyburbian
I just wish more people in our country would devote more time to excercise. Studies have shown that just by elevating your heart rate for 20-30 minutes a day you will receive numerous helth benefits. I know for me it just feels good being healthy and in shape. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I ride my bike for 100 miles at a time.

Heart disease and stroke run in my family, and I am committed to being the first one it doesn't effect. I can't even tell you the last time I saw the inside of a McDonalds. I won't eat the stuff, or any other fast food for that matter. I just can't believe how some people live of the extra value meals "Biggie Sized" (with a Diet Coke).

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Amen! On the rare occasions that I do go to McDonalds, I order a Happy Meal. I'm mortified that a "medium" soda at most fast food places are roughly a quart. However, as evil as I find these companies, they are responding to the market that wants a trough of fries for a buck.

I used to work with a 400 lb. woman who used to always whine about her "handicap" while eating something fatty & nutritionally void. She had bad knees from carrying around all of the weight. Sad, but come on! As Prudence stated, she didn't get like that overnight.

It's about making the right choices, and as planners, we need to do what we can to encourage healthier lifestyles through more pedestrian friendly development patterns.

Stepping off soapbox...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
prudence said:

PG - Thanks for the nice words. I do not eat at McDonalds ...

[/B]
MODERATORS NOTE: Prudence does not eat at McDonalds becasue he has a personality conflict with the local franchise operator (we'll call him "Martin"), and at the moment has been citing the guy $200 a day for the past six months becasue Martin installed an illegal reader board, and an intercom ordering system (our Plan Commission required face-to-face ordering). Martin and Prudence get to meet for another love fest at next week's pretail hearings....

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
I'm proud to say that I haven't even stepped foot in a MaccyD's in over 3 years. A result of severe ..umm.. intestinal trouble within 30 minutes of eating (in a supermarket of all the embarrassing places to get 'ill') which lead to me spending about 3 hours in the bath (much to my flatmates' annoyance) muttering something along the lines of "I don't feel pretty anymore" / "Unclean! Unclean!". I refuse to go to KFC as well since I found enough bones to make up a whole chicken skeleton with spare parts. Eew!

Habanero

Cyburbian
I have gone to McDonalds, but only for those fruit and yogurt cups they have now, and only in a real pinch, but otherwise we're cutting out fast food at our house.. except the occasional trip to Hooter's. I just can't say no to Hooter's (and I can't even eat there wings from a certain incident with wings+5 pitchers+rumplemintz=very bad night).

My impoverished little brother called me from LA last week to tell me he's discovered the most fabulous new weight loss scheme - its called poverty. His paycheck covers his rent and car payment and that's about it, so he's had to cut out all of his drive through trips through the In and Out. He figures he's dropped 15 pounds on his poverty diet. Granted, I'm pretty sure he didn't have 15 to lose in the first place, but that's besides the point.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Oh I did that! When I was in school I was so out of time (18 hours of school + 30-35 hours of work) all I ate was balance bars, apples, carrots, and a few other really easy cheap things. Now that I actually make a livable salary I can't stomach balance bars.. bad memories of speeding down I35 to get home from San Marcos.. ick!

TexasPlanner said:
.. except the occasional trip to Hooter's. I just can't say no to Hooter's (and I can't even eat there wings from a certain incident with wings+5 pitchers+rumplemintz=very bad night).
I have never set foot in Hooter's despite the accolades about their wings. When a "Peter's" opens up, I'll be the first one in line. ;);)

Death to Hooters Girls

Planderella said:

I have never set foot in Hooter's despite the accolades about their wings. When a "Peter's" opens up, I'll be the first one in line. ;);)
I've also never visited Hooters, especially after being treated to a display of their waitresses inanity at a local balloon launching event that involved half naked frolicking. I cringe every time I walk by the Hooters in our mall and I see little kids eating in there. Granted, as a former waitress, I fully acknowldege that flirting and personality whoring are an integral part to waiting tables in any establishment, and I fully support a woman's decision and right to degrade and debase themselves in the name of commerce, because there is no doubt they are among the highest paid waitresses, but I still have the right to slightly hate them.

*end grumble*

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I love hooters, and Hooters for that matter. I love the wings too, they usually have Guiness on tap (rare in Iowa). I don't mind taking the family either, I see women running around town with less clothing that the Hooters girls.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
On a planning-related note ...

The residents of this town are begging for a quality sit down restaurant. The only decent sit-down restaurants nearby are way out in Clermont, or way in in Ocoee. The "town next door" has a few greasy spoons and a decent Mexican restaurant, but that's it -- no "date places."

Unfortunately, the demographics here don't support quality dining yet. Most quality chains want to be near employment centers, so they can get heavy lunch traffic as well as the dinner and late night crowd. There's the income, traffic and the population, but not the daytime employment ... except construction workers, construction tradespeople, and dump truck drivers. About a third of the 50,000 vehicles that travel SR 50 through town each day are diesel powered. Those folks don't eat at Applebee's or Chili's ... they take their Nextels to the lunch-only greasy spoons in "the town next door."

However, there is one quality sit-down restaurant that appeals to the blue collar, working-class, Southern culturally-oriented crowd who pilot heavy trucks through town all morning and afternoon. Its part of a chain that has no presence in Orlando's western suburbs. That place is Hooters. I'd welcome it with open arms, because it would be a foot in the door for other sit-down restaurants. I don't think the Planning and Zoning Board would be too keen on the idea, though.

prudence

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
I just can't believe how some people live of the extra value meals "Biggie Sized" (with a Diet Coke).

That made me laugh out loud. It is so true about the Diet Coke; it's only one calorie...

It is refreshing to hear people recognize / agree that there is a problem with society (besides weight gain) accepting responsibility for their actions.

And while alcohol may kill brain cells, it only kills the weak ones...

prudence said:

It is refreshing to hear people recognize / agree that there is a problem with society (besides weight gain) accepting responsibility for their actions.

I one hundred percent agree, Prudence. The McD's hot coffee lawsuit, the tobacco suits, the fat guy v. KFC, all make everyone crazy, I think. But it only takes one wacko judge to allow these things to court, unfortunatly. Where was the incident where 4 kids set their school on fire, burned half of it down and were expelled after they were caught. The parents of one of the kids sucessfully sued the school for damaging thier child's self esteem by expelling him. WTF????

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: Death to Hooters Girls

KMateja said:

I've also never visited Hooters, especially after being treated to a display of their waitresses inanity at a local balloon launching event that involved half naked frolicking. I cringe every time I walk by the Hooters in our mall and I see little kids eating in there. Granted, as a former waitress, I fully acknowldege that flirting and personality whoring are an integral part to waiting tables in any establishment, and I fully support a woman's decision and right to degrade and debase themselves in the name of commerce, because there is no doubt they are among the highest paid waitresses, but I still have the right to slightly hate them.

*end grumble*
My old college roommate is the GM for Hooter's in Seattle. He was the GM in the Wisconsin/Michigan territory. I did spend a lot of time there...loved to hang out eating oysters on the half-shell with buckets of ice cold beer...and since he wasn't allowed to fraternize with the waitresses....

Hooter's will ALWAYS have a place in my heart.

prudence

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

Where was the incident where 4 kids set their school on fire, burned half of it down and were expelled after they were caught. The parents of one of the kids sucessfully sued the school for damaging thier child's self esteem by expelling him. WTF????
PLease send me the article...that is astounding!!! When I was growing up it was MY fault for not learning / succeeding, never the teachers.

This country needs TORT REFORM.

Do parents spank their children anymore? I had a number of losing battles with the wooden spoon / belt / and back of the hairbrush. My mother (the disciplinarian) wasn't brutal. I wasn't maimed / accosted / or traumatized. I was held accountable for my actions. And a red arse sometimes was necessary.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
giff57 said:
I love hooters, and Hooters for that matter. I love the wings too, they usually have Guiness on tap (rare in Iowa). I don't mind taking the family either, I see women running around town with less clothing that the Hooters girls.
Mmmmm....3 Mile Island Wings and Guinness...a favorite combination of mine!

We have one in NH (opened about a year ago) but I haven't been there yet. I took my wife to one a couple years ago on Church Street in Orlando when we were on vacation...and the waitress flirted/talked more to her than she did to me. I didn't mind. :D

Right on!

Quote from the article:

"The notion that there's no parental authority over these children is ridiculous," said Mike Burita, a spokesman for the Center for Consumer Freedom, an organization representing restaurant operators and individuals who want to preserve consumer choice. "Do little kids steal their parent's car keys and drive themselves to McDonald's?"

I can't even believe that there are parents so irresponsible and greedy as to file a lawsuit on their kids' behalf.

el Guapo

Capitalist
prudence said:
Do parents spank their children anymore?
No, they punch the lights out of them based on recent news. icon8.gif

I know this is sooo wrong. But the parent in me wanted to know what the kid did to set off the mom. I know, I know, nothing she could have done would deserve that, but you can't quiet the inner parent. They need to know what the kid tried to pull.

As a parent you are always trying to say one step ahead of the kids. Because the day you don't they come home pregnant with a tattoo of bTurk on their arse. ;)

Oh, McDonalds is another reason to hate the advertising industry. They market to 4 year olds! Should be illegal. Maybe it is in paradise or Canada.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:

As a parent you are always trying to say one step ahead of the kids. Because the day you don't they come home pregnant with a tattoo of bTurk on their arse. ;)
Oh, If I only had a dollar for every time that happened!

And about that stupid broad that whacked her infant and got caught on tape -- how the F*** can she look into a camera lens and plead not guilty! I'm all for punishment that fits the crime. Lets get a bunch of people 4 times her size to strap her into the bakc of a Toyota Highlander and pummel the crap out of her.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
El Guapo said:

No, they punch the lights out of them based on recent news. icon8.gif

I know this is sooo wrong. But the parent in me wanted to know what the kid did to set off the mom. I know, I know, nothing she could have done would deserve that, but you can't quiet the inner parent. They need to know what the kid tried to pull.

Apparently the kid was opening packages of toys and playing with them. They said mom had to be paged a couple of times to get the kid......

Ok, two comments on that lady:

1) we saw her being interviewed on saturday night, and when the reporter asked if she was angry about a particular thing, she responded "No, I wasn't really angry about any one thing", and was really upset that they had put the child in foster care instead of being released to her husband or one of her siblings.

2) i saw in an article that she's an Irish Traveller, and that jiggled something in my brain, but I can't remember what. Didn't dateline do something on the irish travellers once? anyone know anything about this? she had said that she was nervous in the store because she was afraid they'd discriminate against her because she was an irish traveller. what?

Jeff

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:

They reported in the Phila. Daily News that she was pissed because she was just refused a cash return on something she had bought earlier. Regardless if the kid was opening packages or doing anything else, Mom is definitly a whacko.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Ah, the Irish Travelers - no wonder she couldn't be found for a week. They could hide Hoffa and Elvis if they had to. Real spooky folks. Make their living as roofing and concrete contactors. They like to chase disasters. Screwing the elderly.

Oh Yeah - 60 minuted did a series of shows on them. Ground em up real good. I wondered about the speech pattern and the choice of vehicles and the cloths - they didn't look right until now. Now it makes sense.

El Feo

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
in an article that she's an Irish Traveller, and that jiggled something in my brain, but I can't remember what. Didn't dateline do something on the irish travellers once? anyone know anything about this? she had said that she was nervous in the store because she was afraid they'd discriminate against her because she was an irish traveller. what?
Hey, you worked in Anderson County. Didn't you run into any Travelers there? There was a huge community of them in the Aiken/Augusta area, always running scams, fleecing old people, running shoddy construction schemes and boosting department store goodies. While El Guapo was wondering what that girl did to piss off mom, I was already one step ahead of him - assuming she screwed up one of mama's scams, refused to participate in some shoplifting scheme or was too young & innocent to understand what illegal activity mama wanted her to help facilitate.

I know, I'm a bad, bad man for having these thoughts...

Last edited:

Habanero

Cyburbian
Hm.. I'll remember that whenever I have kids if I'm not watching them and they do something childish and normal for their age I'll beat the crap out of them (after putting them in the back of my soccer mom SUV and strapping them to their car seat) and then act bewildered why anyone would think that was wrong.

I understand that the child may have misbehaved, but she's four. You have to watch four year olds, they don't just make great decisions on their own (they steal cars and drive to McDonalds for big mac's and toys). I mean, didn't they invent those kid leashes for parents like her?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Humm??

El Feo said:
While El Guapo was wondering what that girl did to piss off mom, I was already one step ahead of him
Did you end up "pregnant with a tattoo of bTurk on your arse." ?

BTW - El FEO I think you may have hit the nail on the head with your theory.

sal95

Cyburbian
She is acting all sorry and pitiful about this "first time mistake and loss of control," but she had the presence of mind to change her appearance by coloring her hair and to flee to New Jersey. She said that this was the first time she had lost control with her children, however she knew exactly what she was doing. . .she looked around the parking lot first to make sure nobody saw her. And what was she punching??? Thin air?? People should be required to have a background check before being allowed to have children.

poncho

Cyburbian
People should be required to have a background check before being allowed to have children.
People should be required to do alot of things before they have childeren!

Habanero

Cyburbian
sal95 said:
People should be required to have a background check before being allowed to have children.
agree fully. (although I am a bit extreme in some cases they should also be administering birth control with welfare checks, maybe it's just me.) Children aren't toys, they're a huge responsibility. I'm sure there are sane people out there who have children that may not want to take classes to procreate, but what's sad it there are those sickos out there that beat the crap out of their kids. How anyone could sit there and admit to fleeing the state ("to get an honest opinion from a doctor") and then try to say she didn't hit her that hard and acted like she was a saint for turning herself in after the warrant was issued? Yeah, maybe it wasn't that hard of a punch for another 25 year old to take.. I'd love to have an ultimate fighting bout with this one.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Humm??

El Guapo said:

No EG, as my gay friend is fond of saying, "Butt babies don't live"

<going to hell for sure now>

el Guapo

Capitalist
Prediction: Irish Traveler Toogood v. Darva Conger or Tonya Harding on Fox within a year~!

xCelebrity Survivor!

I can't even pretend to know what an Irish Traveler is. Will somebody please fill me in? Is it like a religious sect or what?

el Guapo

Capitalist
links

The Gypsy Lore Society new
... or, sometimes, Tinkers. Their ethnic language is referred to in the literature as Irish Traveler Cant. Harpers ethnographic and ...
Found by: AltaVista, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), HotBot, Lycos, MSN Web Search, Netscape Netcenter
http://www.gypsyloresociety.org/cultureintro.html | 84% | Translate

@ugusta headlines: Irish Traveler pleads of not guilty in roof repair scams, July 4, 1996 new
The new indictment adds five charges of theft by deception to the previous charges of one count of racketeering, seven counts of theft by taking and one count of robbery. Back to @ugusta...
Found by: AltaVista, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), HotBot, Lycos, MSN Web Search, Netscape Netcenter
http://www.augustachronicle.com/headlines/070496/traveler_pleads.html | 78% | Translate

The Holland Sentinel: News: Deadly crash draws attention to Irish Traveler clan 01/17/00 new
Enter a search Click here for help Web posted Monday, January 17, 2000 Some of the boys carried identification indicating they were 20 years old, but family members said they were all 12 to 14.
Found by: HotBot, MSN Web Search
http://www.thehollandsentinel.net/stories/011700/new_irishcrash.html | 72% | Translate

The Gypsy Lore Society new
... US. IRISH TRAVELER NOTES AND RESOURCES http://www.pitt.edu/~alkst3/Traveller.html Information on the contemporary Gammon lexicon. ...
Found by: Netscape Netcenter
http://www.gypsyloresociety.org/extlinks.htm | 69% | Translate

USCCB - Office of Migration & Refugee Services new
Gypsy and Irish Traveler Ministries General Information...form of punishment. Irish Traveler families probably immigrated...Travelers Four main Irish Traveler communities are identifiable...about the...
Found by: AltaVista, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), Lycos
http://www.usccb.org/mrs/pcmr/gypsy.htm | 61% | Translate

@ u g u s t a news headlines: July 4, 1996 new
ugusta -- Augusta's Home Page on the 'Net: Produced by the Augusta Chronicle, 'at Augusta' presents the most up-to-date online resource in the Augusta, Georgia area, offering news, classifieds,...
Found by: AltaVista
http://www.augustachronicle.com/headlines/070496/.index.html | 57% | Translate

USCCB - Office of Migration Refugee Services new
Gypsy and Irish Traveler Ministries. ... Irish Traveler families probably immigrated to the United States in the late 1840s, and the first Romnichels in 1850. ...
Found by: HotBot, MSN Web Search, Netscape Netcenter
http://www.nccbuscc.org/mrs/pcmr/gypsy.htm | 54% | Translate

CNN.com - Mom: 'No excuse' for striking child - Sep. 23, 2002 new
Her flash of anger, caught on video, sparked a nationwide search for the mother who beat her child in an Indiana department store parking lot.
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Midwest/09/23/tuchman.toogood.cnna/index.html | 50% | Translate

Gypsy (Rom) Stuff! new
Adams, Alex b. 1861. d. 1917. With his wife, Mary, they were known as the King and Queen of Sacramento's once large Gypsy community. East Lawn Memorial Park, Sacramento, California, USA
Found by: FAST Search (alltheweb.com), Lycos
http://www.pe.net/~kathys/gypsy.htm | 40% | Translate

Daily Register News new
The Daily Register, providing coverage of news and sports for southeastern Illinois since 1869.
http://www.dailyregister.com/news.html | 37% | Translate

USCCB - Office of Migration Refugee Services new
People on the Move Ministries. "The Church is required by the Gospel and by its long tradition to promote and defend the human rights and dignity of people on the move, to advocate social...
http://www.usccb.org/mrs/pcmr/onmove.htm | 24% | Translate

Augusta Georgia: metro@ugusta: Couple pleaded guilty to failing to send daughter to school 09/01/98 new
Food & Recipes By Kathy Steele ``Tradition is something that's a hard thing to change,'' he said. ``They did what has been the custom of their family for all these years. They know and understand that's not law.
Found by: MSN Web Search
http://www.augustachronicle.com/stories/090198/met_124-1130.shtml | 11% | Translate

El Feo

Cyburbian
Re: Humm??

El Guapo said:
Tattoo Charlie promised me it was Ashley Judd. I didn't think it looked like her, but it's awfully hard to crane my neck hard enough to actually see what he inked on my ass, so I really don't know for sure.

Pregnant? Uh, no.

Last edited:
El Feo said:

Hey, you worked in Anderson County. Didn't you run into any Travelers there? There was a huge community of them in the Aiken/Augusta area, always running scams, fleecing old people, running shoddy constructon schemes and boosting department store goodies.
I don't think we did, but now I have to email my old office and ask about it! I do remember that there was a group of people fleecing old people on home repairs, but they didn't say they were irish travellers.

What makes me crazy is that one of the headlines on our local paper was "Videotaped child beating renews spanking debate". WTF

Habanero

Cyburbian
What?!? Spanking is totaly different than beating the crap out of your child! Did anyone catch "Yes, Dear"? I have never watched that show before, and I don't think I will again.. they had the spanking debate as their theme last night, quite annoying to have t.v. preach about that, especially when someone calls someone else a monster for spanking his child.

Back on topic though, on Howard Stern this morning they played a portion of her interview.. she sounds like Ms. Cleo. Are these people considered gypsies, or is just a group that is like gypsies? I read the sites El Guapo posted, but I still don't understand fully. The other thing I don't understand is if they've been in the country for so long (since late 1800s) why doesn't it seem like they have a 5th grade education?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tom Brokaw did a segment on them on last nights news, and they replayed an interview from someone that "got out" of the Travellers. They showed home videos of thier social functions, and all of the little girls were gussied up like little Jon Benet Ramsey whores (well, without the decay. You know....). Yech.

The education aspect? I imagine their social structure does not encourage nor does their culture value, higher education. Its much easier to swindle than the learn.

They came around my brother in law's neighborhood a few years ago selling asphalt resealing services. He declined but his neighbor paid them $250 to reseal a driveway. It all washed off in the rain about a week later and the City's public works crews cited him for polluting the storm drains.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Humm??

El Feo said:

Tattoo Charlie promised me it was Ashley Judd. I didn't think it looked like her, but it's awfully hard to crane my neck hard enough to actually see what he inked on my ass, so I really don't know for sure.
Must have been the summer I had a perm...