• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Debating on masters in anthropology vs one in planning

andreplanner

Cyburbian
I already have degrees in planning and public administration and some grad school work in urban planning. I already have professional experience in transit and housing, but I have been more fascinated about the cultural and social aspects of cities instead of systems. Moreover, I've been interested in lived experiences, race and culture when interacting with those systems.

Therefore I am becoming more interested in urban anthropology. So I am considering doing a master's in anthropology instead of one in planning or continuing with public admin.

So has anyone ever done a graduate degree in anthropology and worked in community development?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't have a graduate degree in anthropology, but have worked in community development for many years and one of my undergrad degrees is in anthropology. I personally find the idea of identifying and studying human culture as it relates and manifests in the built environment fascinating. But this fascination exists pretty much on the intellectual plane, and little if any of my anthropological knowledge or skills ever really enters into any of the work I do as a planner. I'm not prepared to say this isn't the case with any other planners, but if there's planners out there where that is the case, I'm unaware of them.

Bubba

Cyburbian
A master's in anthropology is better suited for a career in archaeology than anything else outside of staying in academics. Archaeology can play a role in community development in somewhere like California with its CEQA regulations, though...