• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Deer storms White Plains hair salon

tsc

Cyburbian
Ok... this happened one block from the County Office building where I work... in the center of the city.... right next near our new downtown Target..and 35 story apartment building. (this might be a normal story elsewhere......but White Plains is 15 miles from the Bronx)

Deer storms White Plains hair salon

By MICHAEL GANNON AND SUSAN ELAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: October 15, 2003)

WHITE PLAINS — Only in Westchester County do even the wildlife feel the need to be properly groomed.

A more than 300-pound buck ran wild on Martine Avenue early yesterday, chasing a woman through the downtown street, before running through the open door of a beauty salon.

White Plains police, pursuing the animal by foot into the nearly empty store, quickly cornered and subdued it with a Taser gun and darts.

After felling the deer, police used the cord from a curling iron to tie its feet, said Danny Cisterna, owner of Creations Plus at 204 Martine Ave.

Cisterna said he and his wife, Diana, were alone in the store when the antlered customer entered around 10 a.m. Diana Cisterna ran into a back bathroom, as the cornered deer reared back and knocked over a tray of hair products.

"It sounded like he was trashing the whole place," Diana Cisterna said. "I was petrified."

White Plains Public Safety Commissioner Frank Straub said the deer was first seen in back of 210 Martine Ave. and jumped over a fence.

The police did not want to shoot it, so they used a Taser and shot two darts into the deer, he said.

"It was a male with antlers, and it was dangerous to people on the street," Straub said.

Police had planned to take it to the Humane Society in Harrison, but "the stress caused the deer to expire," Straub said. It was taken to the town dump where other dead animals are disposed, he said.

Wildlife enjoying the city life is not all too uncommon in Westchester and Putnam.

A 195-pound black bear led about 25 White Plains police officers on a wild chase through back yards, city streets, the Burke Rehabilitation Center campus and Ridgeway Country Club in May 1997.

Bears, coyotes, wild turkeys, bobcats and even a moose have been seen in recent years.

Danny Cisterna said the deer appeared to weigh 300 to 400 pounds.

It caused about $300 in damage to his store, but, thankfully, did not hurt anyone, he said.

Diane Cisterna said in the nearly 30 years she and her husband have owned the shop, the incident was by far the most bizarre.

"I hope it's the first and last," she said.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Why on earth would the police want to take the deer to the Humane Society? It's not like a pet that someone could adopt and take home. I've never seen a moose, but the ones that have showed up around here have been anesthesized and relocated to a more appropriate location, like the Adirondacks.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
HeeHee. Deer are so much fun. I had a doe walk up onto my deck last week. It freaked me out when I walked past the door and saw this big brown thing looking in at me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
this has happened in New Jersey -

Lost deer invades Linden store
Tuesday, October 14, 2003
BY JENNIFER GOLSON
(Newark) Star-Ledger Staff
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1066108532103270.xml

A full-grown, antlered deer wandered into a Linden clothing store yesterday and, like the proverbial bull in a china shop, wreaked havoc on the place.

The store is in a congested area near the Linden airport, (Along U.S. 1 & 9) but there is a 26-acre forest near the shopping center.

"They kind of get disoriented at this time of year and act irrationally. Something also might have spooked him, and he just got disoriented and ended up in a strange location."

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
300 freakin pounds? Wholly crap! That thing was a MONSTER! :)

300 pounds of free venison and they thtew it in the dump?

What a waste!

Rem

Cyburbian
[bs]Kangaroos and crocodiles do that sort of thing all the time in Australia.[/bs]

Jeff

Cyburbian
Deer are cool, especially when I have the crosshairs pinned on their lungs.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Wow... too bad that the deer "expired", I guess they could have returned it to it's habitat or put it in a zoo or something... I just can't believe they dumped all that precious meat though.. 300 pounds would do for a few BBQs and meals for poor people and homless, rather than dumping it... dang! :p

tsc

Cyburbian
actually deer are a big problem here... despite acres and acres of open space, woods, etc.... hunting with guns is not allowed in Westchester County.... hence we have a major deer problem...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Wow... too bad that the deer "expired", I guess they could have returned it to it's habitat or put it in a zoo or something... I just can't believe they dumped all that precious meat though.. 300 pounds would do for a few BBQs and meals for poor people and homless, rather than dumping it... dang! :p
Compassionate Republicanism -- The republican mayor of Dodgeville, WI and a few others were behind an initiative started a few years ago to give venison from killed deer (mostly during huntng season) to local food pantries. It is a great program, though I do not know if it survived the chronic wasting disease scare.

TrafficHater

I grew up in that area

I remember a very similar incident from my childhood. Restrictions on hunting and the absence of predators have led to increases in the white-tail population while deforestation has shrunk their habitat. As a result, a deer wanders into White Plains every few years. Some of the less well-traveled residents tend to mistake it for a large dog.