• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Defacto Poll Regarding Led Zeppelin

Slotcar Mikey

Member
Messages
19
Points
1
I'm a huge LZ fan.....which leads to the poll question for this forum:

Who is your favorite Led Zeppelin member?

1. Robert Plant

2. Jimmy Page

3. John Paul Jones

4. John Bonham

5. Don't Like Any of them yet

Mine is Jimmy Page!





;)
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
I think I speak for many when I say this is the stupidest poll I've ever seen.

To pick a favorite Led Zepplin member is to ignore the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I can't even fathom picking a favorite or best part of what was collectively the greatest Rock and Roll band ever. Why do you think they couldn't go on without John. Because although John wasn't anyone's "favourite" band member, he was the heart of the band. Jimmy and Robert solo careers were mediocre at best, thus proving my point.
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,259
Points
24
Budgie said:
Jimmy and Robert solo careers were mediocre at best, thus proving my point.
I think you can make the same case for John, Paul, George, and Ringo.


'Hey Hey What Can I Do' is probably my favorite Zeppelin song. There are too many really, though.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I think you can make the same case for John, Paul, George, and Ringo.


'Hey Hey What Can I Do' is probably my favorite Zeppelin song. There are too many really, though.
Uhhh, that song would be, "Traveling Riverside Blues", which was originally released as a B Side only. It was later released in the box set that came out in 1992. I can't even begin to pick a favorite song or album.
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,259
Points
24
Budgie said:
Uhhh, that song would be, "Traveling Riverside Blues", which was originally released as a B Side only. It was later released in the box set that came out in 1992. I can't even begin to pick a favorite song or album.
You fav is "Traveling Riverside Blues." Good call. "Hey Hey What Can I Do" was in the B side of "Immigrant Song" when it was released in 1970, also another great song.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Pointless !!!!

Uh, no my favorite is "Ramble On", no -- maybe "When the Levee Breaks". That's not right, "That's the Way".... Uh, no - "Good Times, Bad Times" ... No my favorite is "Black Dog". Wait, no it's Dazed and Confused". No, I swear my absolute favorite is the country parity "Hot Dog".. I'm joking my favorite is "Living Lovin Maid", "Nobody's Fault but Mine"... no that's not right, uhh ....................Hmm, let's think for a minute .....................
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
24
Re: Pointless !!!!

Budgie said:
....... no that's not right, uhh ....................Hmm, let's think for a minute .....................
Have a few guiness' and chill out, your on a roll tonight! :)
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Re: Re: Pointless !!!!

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Have a few guiness' and chill out, your on a roll tonight! :)
That's it, the Zepplin starts now and I won't stop till every record and CD is played. I'm on my second cup of a pot of coffee. I'll be up when the wife gets home at 4:00 a.m. Damn, you Duck of Dystopia, you know exactly how to push my buttons. Please, concur that this was the stupidest poll you've ever seen. Someone, please. Or I'll start spouting off and have another thread put in El Guapo's "Lockbox". I bet it's dark, musty and smells of fish in there.
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
25,093
Points
54
Re: Re: Re: Pointless !!!!

Budgie said:
That's it, Please, concur that this was the stupidest poll you've ever seen. Someone, please. Or I'll start spouting off
I concur!
Don't punish your brain or body this way.
Please limit, on second thought, no spouting off!
 

Jen

Cyburbian
Messages
1,704
Points
25
To be sure it is a simple poll. I wonder if our dear reader is aware of the poll function, but heck i am not gonna fix it. As the bud says, its pointless.

RP who else?
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,473
Points
25
Re: Re: Re: Pointless !!!!

Budgie said:
That's it, the Zepplin starts now and I won't stop till every record and CD is played. I'm on my second cup of a pot of coffee. I'll be up when the wife gets home at 4:00 a.m. Damn, you Duck of Dystopia, you know exactly how to push my buttons. Please, concur that this was the stupidest poll you've ever seen. Someone, please. Or I'll start spouting off and have another thread put in El Guapo's "Lockbox". I bet it's dark, musty and smells of fish in there.
Hey bust out the drinks before I have God kill a kitten!:b:
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
Re: Re: Re: Pointless !!!!

Budgie said:
Please, concur that this was the stupidest poll you've ever seen. Someone, please. Or I'll start spouting off and have another thread put in El Guapo's "Lockbox". I bet it's dark, musty and smells of fish in there.
The lock box smells of aged pine, gun oil, old mildewed canvas, and the scent of badly decayed bits of human flesh...

But I do concur with your poll observations. The only way it could get more uninspiring were to ask: "How hot is Brittney?"
 

The Irish One

Member
Messages
2,267
Points
25
Why do you think they couldn't go on without John. Because although John wasn't anyone's "favourite" band member, he was the heart of the band. Jimmy and Robert solo careers were mediocre at best, thus proving my point.
Yes, John Paul Jones was the heart of the band!
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,473
Points
25
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pointless !!!!

el Guapo said:
The only way it could get more uninspiring were to ask: "How hot is Brittney?"
And where is the poll to this? I'm getting hungry...........
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Points
27
Budgie said:

To pick a favorite Led Zepplin member is to ignore the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I can't even fathom picking a favorite or best part of what was collectively the greatest Rock and Roll band ever. Why do you think they couldn't go on without John. Because although John wasn't anyone's "favourite" band member, he was the heart of the band. Jimmy and Robert solo careers were mediocre at best, thus proving my point.

....thus the reason why Budgie is the man in my book. I could not have said it better myself.

BTW....don't you hate when bands try to cover Zepplin? IMO Zepplin and Rush .... 2 bands where covers should never be attempted.
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Points
34
Mike D. said:
[BBTW....don't you hate when bands try to cover Zepplin? IMO Zepplin and Rush .... 2 bands where covers should never be attempted. [/B]
Except for Dread Zeppelin. They rock.

 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,550
Points
25
Jimmy Page was the heart and soul of Led Zeppelin. That dude from Kingdom Come proved that Plant can be easily emulated and therefore replaced. No bass player can truly carry a band unless their name is Flea, Les Claypool, or Mike Watt (fIREHOSE), so JPJ wasn't much either. You probably could have replaced anyone in the band with the exception of Page and still have been successful.
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
Chet said:
Except for Dread Zeppelin. They rock.
I saw them at RPM in TO. Classic camp and lots of fun.

Dolly Parton's version of Stairway is hauntingly beautiful. icon11.gif
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Repo Man said:
Jimmy Page was the heart and soul of Led Zeppelin. That dude from Kingdom Come proved that Plant can be easily emulated and therefore replaced. No bass player can truly carry a band unless their name is Flea, Les Claypool, or Mike Watt (fIREHOSE), so JPJ wasn't much either. You probably could have replaced anyone in the band with the exception of Page and still have been successful.
I couldn't disagree more. JPJ was not just the bass player, he brought classical composing and song writing to the band. Each member brought a broad range of musical influences into the mix, which is what makes Led Zepplin so unique. Jimmy is probably the greatest short riff player and writer ever, but it takes more than a few riffs to bring songs together. Just listen to John Bonham's drumming, it's a unique combination of jazz smooth with metal power and his use of the highhat and strategic pauses accented what everyone else was doing. He never overplayed, but had his own subtle way of making the sound unique. Listen closely and you'll hear what I mean.

Robert Plant brought a stage presence that put enormous sensuality into the music. Originally the band was looking at Rod Stewart as a front man. If you think about what it would have been like with Rod, then you can see what Robert really brought to the whole package.

Need I go on.
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
24
Re: Re: Re: Pointless !!!!

Budgie said:
......Damn, you Duck of Dystopia, you know exactly how to push my buttons.......

:)


not trying to push buttons, just a pint or six can manage to slow the brain down so it doesn't matter! :)
 

Slotcar Mikey

Member
Messages
19
Points
1
Budgie said:
I think I speak for many when I say this is the stupidest poll I've ever seen.

To pick a favorite Led Zepplin member is to ignore the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I can't even fathom picking a favorite or best part of what was collectively the greatest Rock and Roll band ever. Why do you think they couldn't go on without John. Because although John wasn't anyone's "favourite" band member, he was the heart of the band. Jimmy and Robert solo careers were mediocre at best, thus proving my point.

I'm sorry.... I thought this was the Friday Afternoon Club were one could post anything including "mindless rambling". I didn't know I was not following your "Cool Pole Only" rules. I was just trying to have fun on the site seeing that I'm a newbie and also to see how many LZ fans are out there. I was also hoping it would be a mechinism I could use to fit in with others on the site.

I guess I found that there's a lot of LZ fans here, but I also found there are some people that treat others like jerks too. It is my fault seeing that I was warned about this site and that some people can be cruel here. You don't even know me, but yet you were compelled to call my pole the stupidest ever? Was there any reason for that? I don't think any pole about the greatest rock and roll band of all-time (as you put it) would be stupid. By the way, the pole function doesn't work so I had to do a "defacto pole".

IMHO, there was no reason for you, or anyone who concurred, to ridicule me about this pole. I happen to like Led Zeppelin very much and you are right that they could never go on without John Bonham as he was the rock to the groups roll and he also what seperated this group from the other pretenders who could never quite get it. But nothing says that I can't be a fan of Jimmy Page, or think he is the best member. Those of us who are truly fans of the group would never react that way to a fellow LZ fan the way you or others did.

I'm sorry I posted it.
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,259
Points
24
Budgie said:
Just listen to John Bonham's drumming, it's a unique combination of jazz smooth with metal power and his use of the highhat and strategic pauses accented what everyone else was doing. He never overplayed, but had his own subtle way of making the sound unique.
Bonham is a much underrated drummer. Yeah, he's gone, but you can't forget him.

John Paul was probably the most replaceable, without notice, of the members of LZ.

While never a fan of David Coverdale. I do like the work he and Jimmy a few years back. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. It was only time. Coverdale can imitate Plant too well.
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,259
Points
24
Slotcar Mikey said:
I'm sorry.... I thought this was the Friday Afternoon Club were one could post anything including "mindless rambling". I didn't know I was not following your "Cool Pole Only" rules. I was just trying to have fun on the site seeing that I'm a newbie and also to see how many LZ fans are out there. I was also hoping it would be a mechinism I could use to fit in with others on the site.

I guess I found that there's a lot of LZ fans here, but I also found there are some people that treat others like jerks too. It is my fault seeing that I was warned about this site and that some people can be cruel here. You don't even know me, but yet you were compelled to call my pole the stupidest ever? Was there any reason for that? I don't think any pole about the greatest rock and roll band of all-time (as you put it) would be stupid. By the way, the pole function doesn't work so I had to do a "defacto pole".

IMHO, there was no reason for you, or anyone who concurred, to ridicule me about this pole. I happen to like Led Zeppelin very much and you are right that they could never go on without John Bonham as he was the rock to the groups roll and he also what seperated this group from the other pretenders who could never quite get it. But nothing says that I can't be a fan of Jimmy Page, or think he is the best member. Those of us who are truly fans of the group would never react that way to a fellow LZ fan the way you or others did.

I'm sorry I posted it.
I don't think Budgie's comments were taken correctly. Budgie is a huge Zeppelin fan, that is why he thinks a poll regarding the members of the band is stupid. He can't pick a favorite since they all contributed to the sucess of the band. Don't be offended and please use this site. Yes, the FAC is more or less for mindless rambling. But it's meant for fun and some knowlege sharing. Since you are also new, there has been some threads recently on the overuse of polls. That may be part of the reason for some of the thread replies as well.
 

Slotcar Mikey

Member
Messages
19
Points
1
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Bonham is a much underrated drummer. Yeah, he's gone, but you can't forget him.

John Paul was probably the most replaceable, without notice, of the members of LZ.

While never a fan of David Coverdale. I do like the work he and Jimmy a few years back. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. It was only time. Coverdale can imitate Plant too well.
Actually, I disagree about John Paul Jones being replaceable. Anyone will tell you that the most critical aspect to a bands live quality is its rhythm section (taking for granted the guitarist is adept). A good rhythm section (ie drums and bass) can carry a song, keep it interesting and keep it moving. That's what allowed Page to kind of freelance and go of on his little tangents and then pull the song back together. That's what made them so great live.

Jones was more than a one-note bass play (example: Michael Anthony). He was so good that Jones could actually play his bass like a lead or rhythm guitar allowing Page the freedom to take the group anywhere he wanted live.

Jones was as irreplaceable as any of them. He was just quiet and less flamboyant.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Slotcar Mikey said:
I'm sorry I posted it.
Don't be sorry and don't take offense. Everything on here is an opinion. I disagree with Slave that Robert Plant and JPJ were replacable. We're not ridiculing anyone. I don't know you well enough to ridicule you personally and if I did know you well enough, I certaintly wouldn't call you stupid. My comment was directed to the defacto "poll". Welcome to the Zepplin lovers club, perhaps the largest club in the world.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Slotcar Mikey said:
Actually, I disagree about John Paul Jones being replaceable.
See we agree on this and disagree with Slave, we're all buds.
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,259
Points
24
Budgie said:
Don't be sorry and don't take offense. Everything on here is an opinion. I disagree with Slave that Robert Plant and JPJ were replacable. We're not ridiculing anyone. I don't know you well enough to ridicule you personally and if I did know you well enough, I certaintly wouldn't call you stupid. My comment was directed to the defacto "poll". Welcome to the Zepplin lovers club, perhaps the largest club in the world.
Yo, Budgie, I never said RP was replaceable. My opinion was that JPJ was easily replaceable. You could never replace Plant. There are imitators, who are just that. All is good.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Sorry, it was Repo who said that the Kingdom Clone singer could emulate Plant and therefore replace him. Slotcar's comments on the rhythm section was spot on. To reiterate his comments, Plant and Page could play off eachother and Plant could get LOST in his guitar solos (which he did alot of times), because the John's held things together. Not that the John's didn't improvise as well.
 

Slotcar Mikey

Member
Messages
19
Points
1
Budgie said:
Don't be sorry and don't take offense. Everything on here is an opinion. I disagree with Slave that Robert Plant and JPJ were replacable. We're not ridiculing anyone. I don't know you well enough to ridicule you personally and if I did know you well enough, I certaintly wouldn't call you stupid. My comment was directed to the defacto "poll". Welcome to the Zepplin lovers club, perhaps the largest club in the world.
Okay, I'll forgive you, but only because you know your music. Check out this site...it has it all. http://www.buckeye-web.com/




 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,550
Points
25
I think Budgie, a metal afficinado if there ever was one, was trying to say that the poll was stupid because thay are all important. If you posted a similar poll about the Beatles(Actually we have done this) you would find similar responses.
 

tsc

Cyburbian
Messages
1,905
Points
23
slotcar... this wasn't a stupid pole.... just look at the conversation you generated. Obviously,,, you found some passionate LZ fans.... try and get past the gruff exterior some members have... most times it is nothing personal...

post-on!!

I like LZ... but not enough to name band members....heck,,, I can't even name all the planners in my office....(it's a big office and I am getting old)
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
At the risk of being accussed an A#$%&LE, I'd like to mention that it is "poll" not "pole". Sorry for putting on my proofreading hat, lord knows I screw up enough.
 

tsc

Cyburbian
Messages
1,905
Points
23
DOH!!!... ... spell check wouldn't have even helped me on that one!!....

<well maybe it was something subliminal...uh...like I really think it was a stupid poll..... ;)>
 
Messages
5,353
Points
31
Budgie said:
At the risk of being accussed an A#$%&LE, I'd like to mention that it is "poll" not "pole". Sorry for putting on my proofreading hat, lord knows I screw up enough.
Slotcar - a general Cyburbia rule of thumb, you're not allowed to misspell words until you have reached the 1000 post "clube." ;)

Check out the Cyburbia Culture FAQ for reference.
 

The Irish One

Member
Messages
2,267
Points
25
No bass player can truly carry a band unless their name is Flea, Les Claypool, or Mike Watt (fIREHOSE), so JPJ wasn't much either.
You're putting Flea, Les Claypool and Mike Watt up to John Paul Jones, LOL, get out of town -those guys are good but they have nothing on John Paul Jones, they know, I know it, the American people know it.

John Paul Jones was the most replacable -Has anyone here listened to Led Zepplin with the bass turned up, I'm shocked! This guy was absolutely phenominal thunder groove bass player -and the guy caqn play a hell of a keyboard as well.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
The Irish One said:
You're putting Flea, Les Claypool and Mike Watt up to John Paul Jones, LOL, get out of town -those guys are good but they have nothing on John Paul Jones, they know, I know it, the American people know it.
Hang on there. Hands down Les Claypool is the greatest bassist alive, next to Gene Simmons (Just kidding). No one even comes close talent and creativity wise. Of course Les would say Gedde Lee is the greatest.

Les is to Bass Guitar, as
Bella Fleck is to the _______.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
The Irish One said:
I like Les Claypool, but to compare the two is hilarious -we're talking two totally different worlds here.
While there are several styles, there are two different worlds, Les Claypool and everyone else. Having said that, Les Claypool's world includes everyone elses world. Les can play like everyone else, but not everyone else can play like Les.

www.lesclaypool.com
www.primussucks.com
www.primuslive.com
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Budgie said:
Les is to Bass Guitar, as
Bella Fleck is to the _______.
The Banjo my friend.

I'm not a huge LZ fan so I probably have no right to post in this thread, but I agree with you that Les Claypool is an amazing bassist.
 

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Messages
3,838
Points
25
As far as Les Claypool its a matter of taste. He's probably the best guy out there technically, but I'd rather have John Paul Jones in my (hypothetical) band. I just prefer his style and he can probably write a better song.

Budgie, I'll PM you my home address so you can punch me. ;)
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Seabishop said:
Budgie, I'll PM you my home address so you can punch me. ;)
SWEET !!!! I'll bring a porter house steak for your eye and a case to split. I could go for some New England surf with Great Plains turf.

Yes, style does matter.
 

Slotcar Mikey

Member
Messages
19
Points
1
Top Five All-time Guitarist

1. Jame Patrick Page
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Eric Clapton
4. Jeff Beck
5t. Dean DeLeo, Joe Perry


Top Five Frontman

1. Robert Plant
2. Roger Daltry
3. Paul McCatney
4. Steven Tyler
5. Mick Jagger

Top Five Bassist
1. John Paul Jones
2. Les Claypool
3. Geddy Lee
4. John Entwistle
5. Paul McCartney

Top Five Drummers
1. John Bohnhan
2. Neal Peart
3. Keith Moon
4. Ringo Starr
5. Dave Grohl
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
Slotcar Mikey, it seems odd that your lists include all of the members of The Who, except Pete Townsend.
 
Top