• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

delayed introduction from ny

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
so i'm not quite brand new to this board...but i've never said hello in this intro forum.

so...hello!

i'm a planner/GIS nerd and the "baby" of my firm...a 20-something young-un...so much so that one of the principles attaches +ey-boy to the end of my name often and i think that i caught one of our subs do the same but omitting the +boy part of it.

as for my SN here...it's b/c i doubled majored in Geography and Planning as an undergrad so i've been using this name for years.

as for where i am from...i'm in upstate NY (but i think i left my heart somewhere in NE)...somewhere around 42.64 N, 73.79 W.

looking fwd to posting more and lurking less.

~Sean :)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Howdy!! I'm like you - the baby of my employment. I work for a local municipality of 10,500; the whole county has 45,000. Pretty rural.... On top of being young, I am female, so I hear it all!

Doesn't it seem like the planning field has a bunch of young 'uns, and a bunch of senior citizens, but nothing inbetween?

Hope to see you around - I too have mainly lurked. This place always offers a laugh or two :)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i've been finding, at least around here...people are on thier second careers in thier late 30s and up...so i don't make many friends my age. its hard to go out on the weekend with someone from who is married with children when i'm 24 and single.

Sean

Albany isn't really known for it's swinging singles scene. Are you new to the area? You should come to the next Capital District Planners Association luncheon - we had a pretty decent turn out this month, and quite a few young-uns there. Welcome to Cyburbia!

Kelly

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
the last CDPA luncheon i was at was the Overlay Zoning at Crossgates with David Church from the federation...yeah, we certaly aren't known for "swinging singles scene" although i do have a few friends in the profession and from school. the june luncheon must have had all of the GIS whipper-snappers to hear Bruce from OFT...maybe next luncheon i'll make it and see young faces.

Indeed - lots of GIS whipper snappers last week. The food was amazing though - Vellano's. Too bad about all the oldsters at work - my experience is that you usually get younger people in consulting, they get some experience and then head for the greener pastures of government.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i've gone the other route somewhat...public to private practice...i like the consultant side of things a lot more. i like not wearing the "uniform" to work everyday...in fact, i bbq'ed today for lunch on our urban deck/courtyard. can't pass that up at all!

JNL

Cyburbian
Interesting... in one post you are 24 and single GeogPlanner, and in another you mention a girlfriend...

el Guapo

Capitalist
GeogPlanner

I can edit your mistakes for a fee and make sure a certain lady never finds out.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
SW MI Planner said:
Doesn't it seem like the planning field has a bunch of young 'uns, and a bunch of senior citizens, but nothing inbetween?
Is 39 in between?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Old is as old does!

You damn kids - get the hell off my lawn!

El Guapo - 38 for a few more weeks.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Old is as old does!

El Guapo said:

I find myself getting really grouchy at kids that drive too fast through parking lots....the wife says she will leave me when I start yelling at them

We had this discussion in my old office where we had 8 people - 4 young'uns - under 30, and 3 over 50. The office manager was 40 . The discussion was regarding family Thanksgiving dinner and seating arrangements and my family had a "kids" table of all the 20 something cousins. Our office manager was crushed that he wasn't young or hip enough to sit at the kids' table. Buddy, when you're old enough to trim nose hair, you've got to sit at the old people table.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The man - the beverage

I was an old man at 28. Some people are born free spirits - Not I - I was born a cranky old coot - a Goldwater Republican.

I think I will make an exceptional good grumpy old man.

Grumpy Old Man
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:
Ice
2 oz Bourbon (Old Grand Dad)
1 oz Lime juice
Ginger ale
Mixing instructions:
Pack old-fashioned or rocks glass with ice. Add Old Grand Dad, add Lime Juice, top with Ginger Ale. Serve with sip stick, no garnish.

Creator/contributor's comments:
It's a little on the tart side. One must have a taste for both Old Grand Dad (high-proof bourbon, similar to Wild Turkey) and Lime Juice to really enjoy.

PS - I started growing a crop of ear hair right at age 36 that would choke a Wookie.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Old is as old does!

El Guapo said:

**SIGH** Prudence and I were all excited that The Smithereens are playing at Port Washington, Wisconsin's Fish Day celebration. Wow! A big name act coming to a home town near you! Both of our interns turned and said, "Who are they?"

I promptly suspended them without pay.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm hitting the big 3-0 this year. I suspect my brother will attempt to get his revenge for the little soiree we threw him a few years back...

I'm not old...yet.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Interesting... in one post you are 24 and single GeogPlanner, and in another you mention a girlfriend...
single meaning not married...and considering i was engaged...i'm a lot more single than i was before...