• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Demand Thresholds

Budgie

Cyburbian
Does anyone have a source for demand thresholds for different types of businesses to have a sustainable market. An example would be, if there are 2,000 people under the age of 18 within 2 miles an arcade can be viable. I'm looking for any comprehensive list of business thresholds based on population, households, adjacent vehicle trips, etc....

Grassy-Arse !!!!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
What type of business are you going to own? Is it going to be convience based, or a regional attraction, etc. What type of good or service are you going to offer, lower end or higher end/ specialty? Also what is the current competion in the area and how are they doing? Is the market oversaturated or is it underserved? The list goes on....

Budgie

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
The list goes on....
Yes, I'm aware that the number of variables for any specific businesses success in any specific location is extensive. But in the past I have seen partial lists of population thresholds for different types of commercial activities. I'm looking for recognized baseline numbers which can be adjusted to account for some of the variables you mentioned.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I'm looking for recognized baseline numbers which can be adjusted to account for some of the variables you mentioned.
-Well you could try some consultant firms that do work for companies that are either expanding or starting up. It will be tough to get models of some national chains because they don't want their competition to know what they are doing.
-I have a copy of the "Tangram Site Evaluation Questionnaire" by the Tangram Corporation. I couldn't find it on the web, you might have to dig around for it. It looks at all the aspects of choosing a site/location for your business, and evaluates the demographics of an area, to the competition of existing stores.