• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Dental Hygiene

What's your level of appreciation for this 6 month ritual?

• I look forward to the deep gum cleanings, when the probe hits that sweet spot in back it's Sweet Ago

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Sweet agony aside the Oral Hygienist a real looker!

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I postpone indefinitely all non emergency dental care

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • All dentist visits are tedious and I can't wait until its over

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • My tooth and gum cleaings are done at a Day Spa, where I receive preferential treatment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All my teeth are porcelain,

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
None of the above.

My hygenist is an older plump woman that won't shut up. But they're the only office within 30 miles coveres by our dental plan that was taking new patients.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
For some reason it wouldn't let me vote :(

Anyway, I would have chosen *other*. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I go on a regular basis. Teeth are pretty important - besides helping you chew, they can either make or break a face.

The one thing that I *hate* is that they have known Chad and his family since he was about born, and my dentist used to be on my Planning Commission (like ten years ago, way before I moved here). So, they always try to talk to me and ask me lots of questions. Dude, you can't speak with that shit in your mouth! Don't they realize that?

donk

Cyburbian
I have always liked going to the dentist.

My current dentist is attractive, the hygenist is ok to look at and one of the dental tech's is pretty hot, especially her eyes (pretty much the only thing you see during your appointment)

I hate going to the dentist. I never floss as much as I should and my bottom teeth are all pretty tight so it is 20 interminable minutes of just scraping. but my dentist is pretty cool - he's just 30 and i get to call him Tony instead of Dr. :) my 6 mo. is in two weeks.

BKM

Cyburbian
I hate going to the dentist. My dentist used to have some real medieval torturers as hygenists. Since he retired, the young woman who bought his practice has invested in new equipment. I love the sonic cleaner-no more picking and scraping! Still, I wear a light tee shirt, because otherwise I will sweat through my dress shirt on "cleaning" days.

I am blessed with good genetics (except for one rash of cavities a few years ago), which makes up for less than stringent flossing.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I don't mind cleanings, I'm even thinking about going in for bleachings if it doesn't cost too much.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I don't really mind getting my 6 month scraping and buffing. My doc is a guy so that is not really an incentive for going and my hyg. is, well how do I put it nicely, ugly maybe.

The only good thing about going is that if they do find a problem the doctor is very generous with the N20 or Nitrous Gas. It is like floating on air for the next hour.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I hate it but I have to go every three months just to keep ahead of the gingavitis. I need to find a new dentist now that I have moved. Maybe I'll find one with a hot hygenist.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Our insurance once pointed us to a boutique dentist as the prefered provider in our area. I went there once and decided my self-image should not be related to the quality of the antiques in the lobby. Screw em. I want cheap fast and as little pain as possible. I'd go to JiffyTooth or the Sam's Club Dentist if it existed.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm lucky I guess. Both my dentist and hygienist are hot. The dentist even has a sexy name, too, Monique. :)

For those of you who brush down around your gums too hard, beware. I had periodontal grafts a few years ago and no amount of sexiness on the part of the periodontist could make up for the pain!

kms

Cyburbian
By the time my 6 month cleaning comes around, I'm ready. I like having my teeth cleaned. I've used this dentist for 20+ years, and would come home twice each year for cleaning if I moved away.

I'd use Jiffy Hair Cuts or Sam's Club Haircuts, but am picky about dentists.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I found a good dentist in North Kansas City. He's good, my insurance is honored, and there are televisions and video monitor goggles, wired for digital cable, to keep you distracted as your teeth are grinded away.

I got a crown a couple of weeks ago, while watching "The Screen Savers" on TechTV. The crown fits perfectly; I don't even know it's there. My childhood fillings are on their last legs, and I'm going to have to get a couple more crowns soon.

There's an old-school barber shop next door, so I can get a good haircut after any dental work.

Bad genes: I'm very cavity-prone. Brushing, flossing, flouride ... all of that didn't help when I was a kid.

Good genes: My wisdom teeth grew in perfectly straight. I never got 'em pulled. I'm a freak in the dental world.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'll be visiting the dentist tomorrow at lunch time. This will be the second crown I have had put on this year. Bad teeth run in my family. :(

My dentist is also a former council member, and served on the plan board, park board, and tree commisssion. He also interrogates me when I am in the chair. He is an excellent dentist, though, so I guess I'll keep going.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Perfect timing for this poll. I had my 6 month cleaning today. Okay, Okay it had been 9 months since my last visit.

I have an old fashioned dentist whose office is one block from my house. He actually does all the work himself. He actually cleans my teeth!!!! Amazing I know.

He's really sexist, but mainly just old fashioned.

JNL

Cyburbian
I used to enjoy going to the dentist when I was little - they had yummy orange flavoured toothpaste! But now, with 3 years of orthodontic treatment behind me, and having had 8 teeth extracted (4 + wisdom), I get quite apprehensive sitting in the chair. I'm thinking 'what new way are they going to come up with to hurt me next'? I often have nightmares about my teeth falling out.

SGB

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I used to enjoy going to the dentist when I was little - they had yummy orange flavoured toothpaste! But now, with 3 years of orthodontic treatment behind me, and having had 8 teeth extracted (4 + wisdom), I get quite apprehensive sitting in the chair. I'm thinking 'what new way are they going to come up with to hurt me next'? I often have nightmares about my teeth falling out.
I'll see your 3 years and raise you 4 more in braces!

I've got a similar dental history, and have similar nightmares.

My mother swears our son looks like her Dad, the dentist. We can only hope......

Runner

Cyburbian
I really don't mind it now.

It's so much better than it was years ago when I was a kiddo. It's also much better than going to the orthodontist to get the braces tightened (I really hated that).

Oh, and I floss every day. My dentist has a great saying to convince you to floss:
"You only have to floss the ones you want to keep."

Jen

Cyburbian
My dentist's office is great, A young experienced Dr, a great smiley staff, new attractive building. I enjoy the cleanings, Ann does a great job she's a tooth nut! Had the pleasure of a bicuspid disintegrating recently and had a ceracs replacement. At that time I would have enjoyed a complimentary chair massage, I was tempted to ask the 4th yr dental student visitor if he'd oblige me but he wasn't my type.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I am quite blessed with having very good teeth, the only problem I have is that there aren't many, so I've spent a great amount of my life in the orthodentist office (more or less 10 years). Aparently my parents lost 10 teeth while asembling me :p ;) At least 4 of them are the widsom teeth that are generally very painfull when the come out and when they get lots of cavity... :p
All my teeth are in excelent state (no cavities), but on what my family has saved in cavity fixing, will have to go to the implants :( and of course to the orthodentists' vacations fund :p

Going to the 6 month checkup doesn't bother me much...and the cleaning doesn't bother much and doesn't take much...

Well, in the near future, my mouth is going to have a nice amount of titanium and porcelain :p

Status
Not open for further replies.