• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Denver Weather

Okay...what's up with this blizzard in Denver in mid-March? For Dan and others who have lived, lives or is familiar with the weather in Denver, what should I expect for next week? I was initially going to pack spring clothes but now I don't know what to pack.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Shift that Para-dig-um Deary. Denver is not the Gulf Coast. Think layers; several light layers add up to one thick jacket. Pack a warm hat that covers your ears, gloves with some insulation and shoes that can handle being wet and will keep your feet warm. Enjoy the trip and be thankful it isn't in Canada, eh. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's all about layers. Expect cold (to you! ;) ) at night... like around freezing and then 40s to 50s in the afternoon. Weather is erratic in Denver... it can snow one day and be in the 70s the next. I'm looking forward to the warm weather!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
nerudite said:
It's all about layers. Expect cold (to you! ;) ) at night... like around freezing and then 40s to 50s in the afternoon. Weather is erratic in Denver... it can snow one day and be in the 70s the next. I'm looking forward to the warm weather!
It's still warmer and less snowy that what I've dealt with this winter! :)

Can't wait to get out there!

The funny thing is I don't have any real heavy winter stuff - jackets in particular. I have a lined trench coat that I haven't used since the New York APA conference in 2000 and I packed that at the very last minute. I was certainly glad I did.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Wow ... this month is flying by FAST.

Consider that although Denver may have snow eight months out of the year, storms are usually followed by warm periods, and the snow melts quickly. Snow is light, dry and fluffy and it melts fast; it's not that wet, heavy stuff found in the Northeast. I seldom wore a heavy jacket in my time living there.

Denver springs are moderate and crisp, and the sun and low humidity will make daytime temperatures seem much higher than they actually are. Go native, and underdress; wearing shorts outside when the weather is cold marks you as "outdoorsy," and you'll fit in with the city's huge Outside Magazine lifestyle crowd. You'll see folks dining al fresco when it's 50F outside! There are large swings (20F to 30F degrees) between daytime and nighttime temperatures.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Dan said:
You'll see folks dining al fresco when it's 50F outside!
I'm guilty of underdressing in the spring too....I'm often one of the first people wearing shorts as soon as the temps hit 50. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

I'm guilty of underdressing in the spring too....I'm often one of the first people wearing shorts as soon as the temps hit 50. :)
It was 42F yesterday and sunny here. I went out in a light long-sleeved top (no jacket). Of course, after -38F last week, it's freakin' balmy this week!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Funny how I was thinking the same sort of things last weekend. The weather got into the upper fifties and even over sixty. Time to open the windows and go outside without a coat.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Funny how I was thinking the same sort of things last weekend. The weather got into the upper fifties and even over sixty. Time to open the windows and go outside without a coat.
We opened the windows last weekend when it was 38F. But with our house's southern exposure, it was plenty toasty in the house.