• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Deplete household stores

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So with lots of schools, businesses, and other public venues shutting down, it requires us to stay home more. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, though. It means you get to enjoy more home cooked meals and spend more time as a family. Since you're not supposed to be going to restaurants and you're supposed to be cutting down on trips to the supermarket, this is an ideal opportunity to use up the items that have been accumulating frost in your freezers, and takin up space in the backs of your shelves.

What kinds of meals could you prepare with your current stock of foodstuffs: a) this week; b) next week; and c) three weeks from now?
How would you cope with the absence/scarcity of other items apart from food at your homes, if they weren't readily available in the stores?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Since you're not supposed to be going to restaurants
Screw that - I have plans to eat out the next four evenings. I ain't scared.

As for the overall question, we're actually in good shape for at least the next three weeks as far as home cooking without having to get inventive. If we don't go to a grocery store this weekend, though, we're going to run out of french onion dip...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Why would you interpret this question as "panic"?
You may not be concerned, but for those of us who are looking out for loved ones at increased risk (eg. respiratory conditions, suppressed immune system, seniors, etc.) practicing social distancing is important for 'flattening the curve' of this virus' impact. Yes, hale and hearty folks like you and me can easily and unknowingly pass this bug along to others. It might be little more than regular flu for us, but it's life threatening for at-risk individuals.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Why would you interpret this question as "panic"?
You may not be concerned, but for those of us who are looking out for loved ones at increased risk (eg. respiratory conditions, suppressed immune system, seniors, etc.) practicing social distancing is important for 'flattening the curve' of this virus' impact. Yes, hale and hearty folks like you and me can easily and unknowingly pass this bug along to others. It might be little more than regular flu for us, but it's life threatening for at-risk individuals.
Dude, the panic gif is related to me possibly running out of french onion dip. Lighten up, Francis.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I went to the store this morning on my way to work as this is our normal shopping item anyway with payday this week. Pasta was gone, no potatoes, no rice, no pancake mix, no powdered milk. Bagged cereal was almost out while boxed cereal was plentiful. Meat was available as was plenty of eggs. Did find some TP :) for my wife's co-worker whose family is running low. Most food items were still available. With that said, breakfast at our house usually consist of cereal during the week and eggs, bacon, hashbrowns or biscuits and gravy on the weekend - I love breakfast. Kids eat lunch at school or go out and dinner is hit or miss with their work schedule. I think it will be business a usual for our dinners but may have to get creative at times. Kids may have to eat venison and like it. Pasta is a mainstay as is pancakes/eggs (breakfast for dinner) which never a complaint is given. Just be sure, I will be taking stock of what food we do have in our cold storage to see what we have and what we can come up with.

TOFB

Cyburbian
It wouldn't be pretty, but we could go 3-4 months. Biggest concern is Diet Dew for the Missus - she is hooked on the stuff.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Unfortunately my house is low on tp and my City seems to have panicked it up. I'll stop at the store after work and pick up a few things although I'm sure that my house could survive at least 2 weeks on the food we have in the fridge and freezer. I wholeheartedly believe in always having too much food so I'll probably buy a little extra -- just in case.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We cleaned/organized what's in the freezer last night. Discovered we had another thing of fish, chicken tenders under the leftover stew, and some frozen veggies. So before I went to the store, we could have survived on what I found, but someone would have been grumpy because it's not their preferred type of fish, but we definitely had about 5 meals in the freezer. After the store this morning, we have about 10 meals with the freezer contents, plus the usual weekly meals I picked up.

I organized the pantry a couple of weeks ago because Hubby just puts things where's there's room, not with related items. So I had a good idea of my staples supplies, and also found a few things shoved in the back. Combine that with the items found in the freezer, and we could have made it through about 10 days no problem. I added some more pasta and rice (regular week supply + 1), a few extra fresh veggies, meat to eat now and some to freeze, and we are good to go.

Right now we can definitely survive a couple of weeks on what's in the house. But I'm planning on being able to do a regular weekly run to the store again next week.

They were rationing paper products this morning. Good thing we had already stocked up. Bottled water was scarce unless you wanted big bottles. The 6 packs were out, and the tiny bottles were only available in 32 packs. Some flavored waters were there, but not ones I'd drink (cucumber watermelon? Ginger orange?). Good thing I didn't need that, either.

Planit

Cyburbian
School is cancelled for 2 weeks. School work will be emailed as necessary.

liquor store was well stocked, beer too.

kms

Cyburbian
School is cancelled for 2 weeks. School work will be emailed as necessary.

liquor store was well stocked, beer too.
Liquor stores in 3 counties in eastern PA are closing for a few weeks. The state owns them and the state can close them.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Went to the store this morning after being holed up app day yesterday. Things seemed pretty normal. Shelves were somewhat depleted but I don't know if that was the usual after a Saturday. Mountains of cases were in place to replenish. My friend the manager was giving instructions to the young staff on wiping down surfaces. Bulk food was shut down. But there wasn't a G-D roll of toilet paper anywhere.

Would it be the end of the world if you were out and had to use a washcloth; thoroughly cleaned and rinsed after every use?

kms

Cyburbian
Liquor stores in 3 counties in eastern PA are closing for a few weeks. The state owns them and the state can close them.
This has now caused panic shopping at the liquor store here, hundreds of miles away. Geesh.

DVD

Cyburbian
We got our usual two week supply. Wife got a few extra cake mixes since there was no flour. Sugar cereal was all gone, lucky I just eat fiber cereal. Plenty of that around. Wife was kind of mad the bag o frozen chicken was gone. We had to get regular bulk chicken which costs more. We're down to 9 rolls of TP. I think we'll make it.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
We were getting a bit low on TP and all reports are there's none to be found in town :r: so we ordered industrial-sized rolls from Staples, to be delivered on Tuesday. I'm not really looking forward to having giant rolls in our bathrooms but at least we don't have to think about TP for the next six months now. :roflmao:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I have a doctor's appt today (regularly scheduled - office type not affiliated with general medicine), so while I'm out I will stop by the store again for those things that weren't there this weekend, and those that were missed because of general focus on food. Others will appreciate me being able to brush my teeth!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Two for three so far. Had plans to go out with our next door neighbors last night, but they're still being cautious after having been out of the country a few weeks back (they're a few days past the 14-day self quarantine thing). So, I grilled up a pork tenderloin and they came over for dinner instead.

As for the overall question, we're actually in good shape for at least the next three weeks as far as home cooking without having to get inventive. If we don't go to a grocery store this weekend, though, we're going to run out of french onion dip...
Went by the store this morning, so crisis averted! They were out of toilet paper, chicken, and almost all of their pasta.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We got our usual two week supply. Wife got a few extra cake mixes since there was no flour. Sugar cereal was all gone, lucky I just eat fiber cereal. Plenty of that around. Wife was kind of mad the bag o frozen chicken was gone. We had to get regular bulk chicken which costs more. We're down to 9 rolls of TP. I think we'll make it.
I saw an older lady with her cart filled with the cheap mega-bag cereal. Weird . . . .

AG74683

Cyburbian
I saw an older lady with her cart filled with the cheap mega-bag cereal. Weird . . . .
Yeah that struck me as odd too. I went to a Walmart Saturday night and they were out of bottled water, all paper products, and the cheap mega cereal bags. I guess because those aren't exactly perishable foods and you can eat it without any sort of heat or whatever.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The water thing I don't get at all. I understand in a natural disaster often the water system is out. But that's not the case here.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The water thing I don't get at all. I understand in a natural disaster often the water system is out. But that's not the case here.
Prepping for the complete devastation of society as we know it I guess. If Mad Max is to be believed, water is the most precious resource.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Got my toothpaste, but the store was way more crowded today than Saturday morning. I wonder if all those people who are now home from Spring Break travel are stocking up for the upcoming End of Days.

Overall, still limited frozen meats, some pasta, lots of rice (must have restocked) and little to no bags of beans. Did not attempt the paper aisle.

DVD

Cyburbian
I just find it kind of funny that things most people never use are going out of stock. Uncooked beans. You ever cook with uncooked beans? I haven't because I can use all kinds of cooked beans instead of soaking them then doing whatever long processes it takes to make soup or whatever out of them. There are going to be people with piles of food they normally don't use because they had a moment of panic.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Screw that - I have plans to eat out the next four evenings.
Two for three so far. Had plans to go out with our next door neighbors last night, but they're still being cautious after having been out of the country a few weeks back (they're a few days past the 14-day self quarantine thing). So, I grilled up a pork tenderloin and they came over for dinner instead.
Ended up two for four (sorta - maybe 2.5 for 4). The restaurant we'd planned to eat in last night went to takeout only, so we got takeout from them. We did throw in a couple of unplanned lunches out Saturday and Sunday, and breakfast out yesterday morning. Now we're going to get back to depleting our household stores for the foreseeable future, especially with both of us under orders to work from home.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I just find it kind of funny that things most people never use are going out of stock. Uncooked beans. You ever cook with uncooked beans? I haven't because I can use all kinds of cooked beans instead of soaking them then doing whatever long processes it takes to make soup or whatever out of them. There are going to be people with piles of food they normally don't use because they had a moment of panic.
Now that we're essentially in quarantine at home (sort of) we're doing all sorts of cooking that takes lots of time, such as soaking dry beans.

Went to the store yesterday. There was literally ONE loaf of bread left on the shelf. Some sort of crunchy granola-flax-oat-whatever that was selling for...$6. No thanks, went home instead and made two loaves of wheat bread from our stocks of flour and yeast. Yeast, incidentally, was in ample supply on the shelves. I picked up another 8 packets of active dry yeast when shopping.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Went to the store yesterday. There was literally ONE loaf of bread left on the shelf. Some sort of crunchy granola-flax-oat-whatever that was selling for...$6. No thanks, went home instead and made two loaves of wheat bread from our stocks of flour and yeast. Yeast, incidentally, was in ample supply on the shelves. I picked up another 8 packets of active dry yeast when shopping.
Ours was sold out of bread as well. Tortillas were there in droves though. Anything you use bread for can have a tortilla substitute.

kms

Cyburbian
Now that we're essentially in quarantine at home (sort of) we're doing all sorts of cooking that takes lots of time, such as soaking dry beans.

I can’t find King Arthur Flower. King Arthur and Amazon are sold out, and the stores here have no flour. My son had to go back to school for things, and brought his flour and toilet paper back.

I guess he wasn’t an accident, after all. 😂

Planit

Cyburbian
Thought I'd got to the store on the way home just to see what's left.

I already have a 4-pk of Guinness :stout: for tonight.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I may have to stop at the liquor store (need additional bourbon and maybe some wine) on my way home from work provided the Gov doesn't shut down all stores during his daily presser today.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Grocery store was borderline scary tonight. Got my beer though.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I hope groceries aren’t favoring online shoppers over in person customers, though I think they are. I haven’t seen any fresh chicken or ground beef in the stores for two weeks now. Word is if you want some, you need to order online.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I hope groceries aren’t favoring online shoppers over in person customers, though I think they are. I haven’t seen any fresh chicken or ground beef in the stores for two weeks now. Word is if you want some, you need to order online.
We've been thinking about getting meat at the co-op. Almost everybody that shops there is vegan, the meat section is small and hidden away as to not offend anybody, and everything there is already expensive as hell.

I've really been tempted to get takeout from Texas Roadhouse. It looks like laundry detergent is slowly starting to return to shelves here. We use Tide Free & Clear, which is still somemwhat scarce. Persil is fairly easy to find, and is supposedly just as good as Tide.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Even though we have plenty of food in the house, today we decided to support our local eatery, which has been doing take-out meals all week. I hope the business is doing okay. It's the only restaurant in our town, and we're thankful it's a good one.

The shortage of paper products continues. I stopped at a grocery store yesterday to pick up some OJ and thought I'd check to see whether they had any TP or hand sanitizer. Nada... shelves all empty.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Even though we have plenty of food in the house, today we decided to support our local eatery, which has been doing take-out meals all week. I hope the business is doing okay. It's the only restaurant in our town, and we're thankful it's a good one.
I've been trying to do this for some local eateries while I have a little extra in my budget. It also allows me to conserve what I have in the house in case things get worse here.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mrs. Bubba changed her normal routine and hit the grocery store and Target this morning (that's usually done after work on Mondays). We're set on food for the foreseeable future (and we were looking pretty good to begin with). Added bonus: she scored an 18-pack of toilet paper.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'll need to drop by the grocery store on the way home today just to prep for the possibility of being at home for an extended period of time.

The food box deliveries are on point though. I'm still getting my regular shipments on time. 6 meals delivered every Friday. At least for now, that's a huge help. Down to my last two rolls of paper towels though.

DVD

Cyburbian
My Kroger (Fry's) is starting to restock. No beans, not much in meats. Plenty of seafood.
Walmart, same deal. My kid noted that beer and ice cream seem well stocked.
Sprouts was really well stocked. Meat, just about everything except beans. Then again who wants to pay Sprouts prices.
Of course what I needed was a can of red beans.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It’s like the old Soviet days: see a line and get in it. It might be something you need, but if not, it’ll be something you can trade for something you need.

I did find fresh chicken at my Kroger yesterday, but no ground beef, most canned good, frozen fish, and certainly no tp or paper towels

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So our stocks are pretty good right now. Low on a couple of 'extras' like syrup and beer but otherwise we can enjoy perfectly normal meals for about the next three weeks. If this thing doesn't go away in about six weeks (without any restock) we'd be down to meals like: canned yams, frozen blueberries and oatmeal but so far so good.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
In a few weeks you should be fine. The food supply chain is not broken it's just people hoarding like idiots. Once they realize there is plenty that part of our lives should become somewhat normal again.

Reactions: kms

Planit

Cyburbian
In a few weeks you should be fine. The food supply chain is not broken it's just people hoarding like idiots. Once they realize there is plenty that part of our lives should become somewhat normal again.
Refrigerator / freezer space must be filling up by now...but plenty of room in the storage building for more TP.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Refrigerator / freezer space must be filling up by now...but plenty of room in the storage building for more TP.
I hope you mean bunker.:ha:

I went to the store a while ago and was pretty relieved. Very well stocked sans any kind of paper or sanitizing products.

Junk food, pop, candy, ice cream and alcohol was overflowing.

We were indeed low on coffee creamer but bought a few more things to get us through a few more days. Feel guilty.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have been trying to pick up a few extra things every time that I go to the store and right now, or freezer is packed. However there are things that we just run out of like paper towel. The last roll is on the spindle which means that I am going to start looking for paper towel or see about buying cloth napkins. We still have 10 rolls of toilet paper left. If I see some in the store, I might pick up one package just because the shelves have been bare for the past week.

We are also doing more Amazon Fresh deliveries because of the convenience of it.

kms

Cyburbian
I have been trying to pick up a few extra things every time that I go to the store and right now, or freezer is packed. However there are things that we just run out of like paper towel. The last roll is on the spindle which means that I am going to start looking for paper towel or see about buying cloth napkins. We still have 10 rolls of toilet paper left. If I see some in the store, I might pick up one package just because the shelves have been bare for the past week.

We are also doing more Amazon Fresh deliveries because of the convenience of it.
You could be some fabric and let the kids make napkins or towels. I might even do that myself.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Went to the store today and was able to get everything I needed, including a little TP.

Except Texas Toast. Asked my manager friend what was up and he said they just aren't making it now.

THEY ARE MAKING THE BREAD; THEY ARE JUST NOT CUTTING IT THICK. WTF?????