• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Developer 0, Eagles $20 mil

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
From the Palm Beach Post, 9 May 2004:

EAGLES SLICE MILLIONS FROM DEVELOPER

A pair of Bald Eagles chased from their treetop perch by a Great Horned Owl spent days circling the luxurious Tesoro development in southwest Port St. Lucie this winter before settling on what Tesoro officials call "the most pristine, expensive land" in the project: a pine-studded lakefront tract overlooking what was supposed to be the eighth hole of a Tom Watson-designed golf course.

As the eagles spent the next few months gathering twigs for a nest and raising two eaglets, Tesoro officials scrambled to redesign the golf course and $20 million clubhouse complex right below the eagles' new digs, abiding by federal rules that prohibit development within 750 feet of a bald eagle nest...

Thirty-eight house lots valued at $20 million had to be eliminated to make room for the 35-acre protection zone, and noisy construction work up to 1,500 feet from the nest is permitted only from May 16 to Sept. 30, the months when bald eagles aren't having babies.

The article goes on to tell of the homes selling from $500,000 to $5 million.

The developer quipped, "I'm still trying to figure out how to charge them for the amenities."

Full article available at http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/auto/epaper/editions/sunday/news_04d98ad4371d42070089.html

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This is a great idea!!

Maybe the next time we get a proposal for an undesirable land use, we should just release some endangered species there.

Do you know where I can get hold of a Humpback Whale? :p ;-) :-D

Last edited:

otterpop

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
This is a great idea!!

Maybe the next time we get a proposal for an undesirable land use, we should just release some endangered species there.

Do you know where I can hold of a Humpback Whale? :p ;-) :-D

I've thought of the same sort of thing with black-footed ferrets. Raised and train them. When some developer wants to develop a pristine piece of nature, release them and "discover" them during a site visit. After the proposed development is quashed, go back and retrieve them for the next time they are needed.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Brilliant! Let me know if anyone is interested in selling a black bear, or perhaps a wolf or two (some Malamutes would do in a pinch).
;-)

jestes

Cyburbian
As the eagles spent the next few months gathering twigs for a nest and raising two eaglets, Tesoro officials scrambled to redesign the golf course and $20 million clubhouse complex right below the eagles' new digs, abiding by federal rules that prohibit development within 750 feet of a bald eagle nest...

That happens here all of the time with gopher tortoises.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
When I was working in PA... there was a development that the staff did not want, but the director did.

We were looking to "locate" a few bog turtles on the property. No such luck... but now living here, I have a great climate to breed them... :) now to get a hold of a few...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Brilliant! Let me know if anyone is interested in selling a black bear, or perhaps a wolf or two (some Malamutes would do in a pinch).
;-)

Wouldn't it be odd of the Wolf (Malamute pretending to be a wolf) came up and tryed to shake the developers hand for a treat... I don't think that would go over so well...

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Wouldn't it be odd of the Wolf (Malamute pretending to be a wolf) came up and tryed to shake the developers hand for a treat... I don't think that would go over so well...
The trick is to just not feed them for a day so they're cranky, then bribe them afterwards with cheeseburgers. Dogs love cheeseburgers.
:-}

otterpop

Cyburbian
This post got me to thinking about something that happened when I was a planner in Ketchikan Alaska. This fellow wanted to subdivide his property which was in town. The problem was there was a bald eagles nest in his yard that made it impossible. Compounding his dilemma was the fact that the eagles had already killed a series of cats and dogs this family had. About the only advice I could give him was stop getting cats and get a bigger dog.