• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Did someone say Starbucks?

H

Cyburbian
I just accidentally stumbled across this site and wanted to share. It has hundreds of pictures of different coffee house locations all across the US and Canada.

http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net

Here is the one by me:

Post the one by you. This could be fun. :)

martini

Cyburbian

This one is nowhere near me, but I do go to it when I'm in Stillwater(which, BTW, is a wonderful looking town/downtown. Expensive though).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'll post some pics when I do a field trip to Santiago, I'll go to Starbucks.. and Hooters (I'll just take pics from the "snacks" o:)) ;) :-}

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Closest to my current home; this is Prairie Village, Kansas.

Close to the new place. Two of 'em about equidistant from my future house, each in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

I've said it before ... the "Starbucks everywhere" site is great for planners looking for examples of high quality, albiet suburban-scale retail and commercial buildings.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
(Intended to be a separate post)

Only Texas would have Starbucks with high-rise signs. :(

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
This ought to kill the nostalgia (see "Nostalgia Factory" thread in Cities and places forum) :

But then again... They're also here in Chile, even though it's just one store.

steveanne

This is the closest one to me. Strangely, there are no Starbucks in Des Plaines. The few in Mount Prospect and Arlington Heights come in close, but this Rosemont one I can get to the quickest.

nerudite

Cyburbian
This is the one in St. Albert (work)... typical commercial big box type development location...

The closest to my house would be the one in West Edmonton Mall, which is just a standard location inside of a mall... not worth posting a pic, that's for sure!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Fortunately, we don't have many starbucks 'round here. They'd never survive the onslaught of the hundreds of these that pepper New England:

I know people that go into withdrawal if they don't have their DD coffee.....

steveanne

I'm obsessed.

This is the one from the town I grew up in.

It's very odd. You have to walk downstairs to get to the bar.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
This one's my local...right across from City Hall. He doesn't have a pic of the other one I hit, which is on the way in from the subway.

donk

Cyburbian
The two in NB are the same as nerudite's. They are housed in chapters book stores.

SGB

Cyburbian
I don't have a Starbucks anywhere in my county! :)

We are, however, getting a new locally-owned drive-thru coffee shack just a 1/2 mile up the street from our office. I just hope they carry Green Mountain coffees.

Kathie_WE

Cyburbian
http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/Baltimore.htm

The top one is in Harborplace at the Harbor in Downtown & is the place I get my skim chai & scone every weekend before working at my grad school restaurant job. The ones in White Marsh Center & The Avenue at White Marsh are on my way home from school. The Avenue is the first "New Main Street" in Baltimore, its success has inspired a couple more. Doesn't it make sense to create a new one Main Street rather than rebuild the many neighborhood business districts?

tim

I would go to the one at Mount Washington in Baltimore or the little kiosk at MICA (he missed that one). I lived in Bolton Hill, which is an awesome neighborhood. I can't believe you work in the inner harbor and live in White Marsh. What a terrible commute. That "main street" is such a hoax. It's ridiculous that a developer names a 12 foot wide sidewalk that is surrounded by parking a "boulevard" and people lap it up as if a slice of Paris was sent from heaven.

http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/Chicagoland.htm
Division and Paulina is a 4 minute walk from home, though there is a great bakery owned by a local right across the street.

tsc

Cyburbian
wow.. he has a section dedicated to Westchester County NY... the Yorktown Store is about 10 from my home

teshadoh

Cyburbian
If it's bumped I'll join in.

I just got my 2% caramel machiatto this morning. This is Peachtree St in downtown Atlanta (I don't know why the put this image on the website since it's not even visible - but it's on the right before the entrance to the merchandise mart). My local coffee shop where I live is in Carroll St Cafe in Cabbagetown.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am going to get ripped on for this, but I like Starbucks. They locate in downtowns, they have good coffee and cookies, and the guy who created Starbucks is a Northern Michigan University Alumnus.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Two thoughts...

One is that with the notable exception of Texas, Starbucks isn't oppressively present corporate coffee. Most of the pictures showed SB's that fit into thier community. And the other is that I think that thier design is tasteful and is appropriate. JHK may disagree, but in terms of chains with corporate image to consider, SB adapts very well. I'll have to walk to the Charter One Bank that has a SB in it. It's hard to know that the SB is there I think. I think that they have 3 signs at best.

ChevyChaseDC

Cyburbian
DC is completely saturated.

Across from my office building...
13th and E

Around the corner from my office building...
11th and F

And just down Pennsylvania Avenue a few short blocks...
7th and Penn.

...And about two dozen others in Downtown Washington. The market has been completely saturated; I can't imagine that all of them will survive.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

I loved that place!! Even when I laughed while eating and sent powdered sugar everywhere. We found the coffee at a nearby specialy grocer and that's all we have had at the house since we came home.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The more I look at that site the more I am creeped out by the fact that the guy travels the country just to photograph Starbucks.

Here's his gallery of him at various Starbucks
http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/Gallery.htm

I like Starbucks and I wish there were more of them here instead of Dunkin Donuts every 200'. I know their yuppy-ness can be pretensious but I feel like there is finally a chain that tries to locate in historic buildings and areas, and that doesn't use obnoxious advertising - but lots of people hate them even more than McDonalds or W**M***.

Discarded Starbucks Cup Helps Olympia, WA Police Identify Rape Suspect

*bumped over 10 years later*

$bux may finally have become a useful entity for our society: an aid for law enforcement. (Who would have thought?)
Witness (my bolding):
. . .
The woman [victim] said that as she ran from her attacker’s sport-utility vehicle, she observed several items fall from the SUV’s open passenger door as he drove off.

The woman later pointed out
these items to detectives as they investigated at the scene. They included a ceramic-reusable coffee cup and a paper coffee cup from a Starbucks drive-thru.
. . .

A Starbucks drive-thru coffee sticker typically includes information about what type of drink has been purchased, and at what time — down to the exact second.

Starbucks later contacted Olympia detectives and gave them store-surveillance footage from the DuPont Starbucks drive-thru at the time the suspect ordered his drink, court papers state. Reached by telephone Wednesday, a Starbucks spokesman at corporate headquarters in Seattle said all questions should be referred to Olympia police, citing the ongoing criminal investigation.

From the surveillance footage of the DuPont Starbucks, an Olympia police detective was able to identify a license-plate number for the SUV that entered the drive-thru when the suspect bought the drink that was later found at the crime scene.

The detective then obtained a Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) photo for the man after learning he was the husband of the registered owner of the vehicle...
. . .
From article: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023062335_starbuckscuprapistxml.html

Additional video: http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/6165903/

Last edited: