• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Did you ever own a beeper?

The Terminator

Cyburbian
When I was a small child (think like 1997), I thought Beepers were cool and really wanted one, despite being a child and having no use for one. My father never had a Beeper because he was always fancy, and had Palm Pilot's and early Cell Phones (company paid for them) but was obsessed with my Godfathers beeper that looked like this:

I looked forward to having a Beeper when I grew up and low and behold, they are obsolete! While my iPhone is pretty handy and hip. I still would love a Beeper, just because!

If I could find a carrier, I totally would rock one of these for the hell of it

Did you have a beeper back in the day? If so tell me when, and what make/model?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Back when I was on a Volunteer Fire Dept we had Motorola Red Pagers.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The first job I had out of college, I received a pager to wear. It could receive text via a device in the office but it couldn't send text. I didn't have a cell phone at the time so if you got a text to call someone you had to find a phone or wait till you got to the office/home.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
If one had a beeper, it meant they were an Important Person. True.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My mom has one. She uses it as an alarm clock now. I can't remember why she had it, I think it had something to do with our schools being able to contact her at any time.

Planit

Cyburbian
A place I worked in starting in 2007 issued me one along with a flip phone. I looked at it and said "really - this is your technology?" That was the first sign it was a bad move.

DVD

Cyburbian
Back in 19 ought 7 or somewhere around 1996 I had one for my construction job. If it went off it meant the foreman wanted you to call him for something. It looked like the first picture T posted. I was cool.

Now I am not cool. I have a flip phone issued by the county. They're arguing among themselves about upgrading to smart phones.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Can't say I ever had one. Then again, I've never been an early adopter of new tech. I didn't my first cell phone until 2000.

kjel

Super Moderator
1995-1997 when I didn't have a landline, I'd just use the payphone in the laundry room. 1999-2001 provided by my company. It went away as soon as I got a cell phone.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Company-issued one from '93 to '96 (working my way through grad school as a courier for a law firm). Never owned one, though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I never owned one and don't know anybody who had one back during the halcyon days of the beeper world back in the '90s and early '00s.

I remember talking to somebody at the Census Bureau a few years back and we were joking around about NAICS and SIC codes for various industries and he said something about "Beeper and Pager Retail Stores" being the shortest lived code that ever existed because by the time the NAICS or SIC were updated to include a code for beeper sales they were already on the way out and when the next iteration of the codes came around beeper sales had been rolled into cell phone stores and and now they are both in the more general "wireless communications" sectors.

There are quite a few doctors that work out at my gym and I notice in the morning if they are going straight to the hospital they often have a beeper... or two. I finally asked one once why they always have beepers and found that they use them in the hospitals because they get good reception in the massive building and don't cause (or receive) interference from all the other equipment meaning the doctors can be reached more easily than by cell phone no matter where they are in the building. (FWIW, when our daughters were born, at the same massive local hospital that most of those doctors work at, the nurses and PAs on the maternity ward carry actual cordless phones instead of cell phones for the same reason that the doctors carry beepers - easier to be reached without worrying about reception.)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Oh yeah, I had one. I could spell and used all the codes for my friends. I even switched carriers so I had two for a short time while my number was changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mercdude

Cyburbian
Can't say I ever had one. Then again, I've never been an early adopter of new tech. I didn't my first cell phone until 2000.
97-00 were about the first few years that mass-produced cell phones were affordable. I got one in the tail end of my HS years and I think I had something like 250 minutes to talk. lol

And my dad had a beeper throughout the 90s because he was an on-call stationary engineer - he hated it. And that has since been passed onto me - I reflexively dislike any work-related telecommunications devices.

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

I never owned one but in the 70's and 80's I had a city that I worked for who provided me with one. I remember that I turned it off when I went to bed for the evening until one time that I was paged during early morning hours, and naturally because it was turned off I did not respond. The next morning when I got to work I received a long lecture about why I was issued the pager and why I was not to turn it off.:-c I left it on after that. :D

Rygor

Cyburbian
I never had a beeper. When I was in high school way back in like '94-'95, though, there were a couple kids in my class that had one, though. Their level of badassity was unquestioned.

But now, how many of you people ever had a CAR PHONE? You know, with a cool little squiggly car phone antenna sitting at the top of your rear window? Anybody admit to having a fake phone antenna, just for the status symbol? ;)

Top Bottom