• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Did you feel that?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Apparently the midwest suffered a minor earthquake overnight. Anyone notice it?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Nope, though I'm not sure where it could be felt.

Several years ago, we had an earthquake centered over near JNA. I was outside trying to finish a volunteer housing rehab project. I was standing in the driveway when I felt both knees buckle. I thought it was weird, but since both of my knees are bad, I didn't think too much more of it. When I got home later and realized that my knees buckled about the same time as the quake, I was rather surpised. Fortunately, there was no damage.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
NOPE, I was dead asleep at 1:00 am when it apparently hit.. However at 4.5 mag. I'm about 500 miles for the epicenter so I wouldn't think I'd feel it.

USGS Report

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You know what... I woke up to mild rattling noises and small earthquake type noises... but I am sure it was due to my neighbor's (up stairs) quest to reproduce.

boiker

Cyburbian
I'm about 70-80 miles from the epicenter and did not feel it. However, my parents live about 20 miles away and were woke up to a rumbling house and rattling dishes. No damage has been reported outside of stuff knocked off of shelves.

Other people in my area did notice the quake. Apparently, the rumble lasted 3-10 seconds.