• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Cyburbans 🧐 Did you go to your prom?

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Weird thought, popped into my head because my mother works with our local schools chaperoning them, and the class of 2021 just had theirs a few weeks ago.

In 2009, I did not go to my Senior prom. I went a Hardcore Punk basement show in Poughkeepsie, NY that night instead. The next day, a Cheerleader who I had a flirtatious relationship with revealed to me she liked me, and wished I had asked her to go (she was a grade below me, a Junior).

I don't regret not going to prom, but I do regret not going out with said cheerleader.

Did you go to your prom?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Yep... and we caused a slight ruckus. My now wife and I were named prom king and queen. Apparently the pull from me in band and she in theater was enough to undermine the rahrah jock crowd. Plus, she was just nice to everyone and I was kind of a class clown.

We had planned to skip the prom, but one of the teachers "in the know" that knew our aversion to school functions pulled us aside and said we needed to attend at least part of it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did - I went to a bunch of them as a junior which was fun - senior year I had a boyfriend so I only went to one

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Yes. From what I've observed prom was a bigger deal back then than it is now. For us it was a junior/senior prom and the juniors raised money and put on the prom each year.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Nope. Too shy, too awkward. I don't really regret it. IIRC some friends and I went and played our muni par 3 course ...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Nope, my clique in HS was the freaks, geeks, and kids whose dads had unpopular jobs. For my senior prom, I gave my GF, who was part of the group, the choice of the prom or a play and nice dinner. She chose the play and dinner.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I did my senior year, took my on-again/off-again HS girlfriend. We were rapidly heading towards off-again by the time the prom rolled around, which made for an interesting evening...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I did my senior year. That was the one and only prom I attended. Every cliche you can name in connection with proms occurred that night.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I did. I didn't date much in HS as I was playing gigs almost every Friday and Saturday night but I figured I should go. It was between two girls - the outgoing fun one that I thought wasn't as pretty as the other shy pastor's daughter. I chose the latter and I regret it. I still see the fun one from time to time and while probably nothing would have come from it she always gives me this look like, "yah, you blew it".

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I went senior year, with a friend. He (my date) was in our dance company at school, and he was turned down by the girl he had a crush on, in the company. So he invited me and we double-dated with another friend and her date. It was really fun overall. Besides the dancing and regular stuff we had fireworks, and a fortune teller. She told me something to the effect that I was in a "gray place" but I would "be coming out of it into the light" which pretty much summarizes high school and graduation. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Another related, good memory I have is that my grandma made my dress (I designed it and she created/sewed it). The only stipulation was that I had to then model it in their rural county fair that summer. So technically I have modeling experience. :rofl: I don't recall which prize she won for it, though - I think maybe second place.

Planit

Cyburbian
I did my senior year, took my on-again/off-again HS girlfriend. We were rapidly heading towards off-again by the time the prom rolled around, which made for an interesting evening...

This sounds exactly liked mine. The senior prom only, but in retrospect we knew that we were both going separate ways/places in college so it was more of a mutual decision. Funny thing was the next summer I can home from college to work and she walked into the business, after awkwardly catching up on stuff, she introduced me to her new husband.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I did my senior year. That was the one and only prom I attended. Every cliche you can name in connection with proms occurred that night.

Every cliche?

I did not attend, but I did make sure to attend the parties after prom

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I went. Had a good time with my friends group. My date was one of the girls in my group but we were not a thing.

Good clean times had by all.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
The only dance I went to in HS was a friend's ring dance because he wanted a "real" date but couldn't find one, so I agreed to accompany him. Haha.

Funny story - I was not into prom at all. I actually had a flute recital that night, so I just planned to do that instead. A very nice, handsome young man in my AP English class tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I had a date to prom. I told him that I had a flute recital that night and didn't think I'd find someone that would be willing to go to that with me first. He said, "Well, I would," and I said, "Oh, that's really nice of you" and turned around not registering AT ALL that he was actually asking me to go to prom. If I had, I probably would've agreed to go with him, but it worked out okay. He ended up taking another friend of mine that really did want to go and was thrilled to have a date.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Older women must have a thing for me: When I was a sophomore I got invited to go with a girl who was a junior. We were in science class together and I think she appreciated that I was always willing to help. I was a bit of a clown but I was smart and nice with everybody. She was very pretty and 17 and I was an awkward 15-year-old and was just happy to be invited. I did feel a little out of place at the after party but still had a good time. My junior year I got invited by a senior girl. I don't know that she really dug guys and maybe she just didn't want to go by herself (and this was the mid-90s in the suburban Midwest so her showing up with a girl wouldn't fly) but she was a friend of friends and I obliged as I enjoyed going the previous year and we had a good time. I lost touch with her after she graduated but looking up her name now I see that she did become a softball phenom at a small college out in Maister's neck of the woods.

When I was a senior I went with the girl I was dating at the time. We were already headed towards being broken up though. I think we maybe last a week or two together after my prom before we stopped seeing each other.

Fun postscript: I stayed friends with the girl I went with my sophomore year but we were never really an item and didn't have enough friends in common that we would cross paths too often or anything. I randomly saw her at a party at Michigan State when I was home on leave one time (back in '97 or '98?) and then never saw or heard from her again (and really hadn't even thought of her again) until 2010 when my wife was pregnant with our first and I went with her to one of the appointments at the OBGYN and it turned out that my date was the PA at the doctor's office. She recognized me right away and said when she saw my name on my wife's insurance that she was wondering if it was me. My wife thought it was funny that we went to high school together until the PA said, "Yeah, and he was my date to prom in 1995!" then she was a lot less amused and didn't invite me back to any other of her OBGYN appointments unless she knew she would be seeing the doctor and NOT the PA. :rofl: She's a bit of the jealous type.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I had asked a young lady to go with me to my senior prom; she liked me but her parents didn't so they didn't allow her to go with me because I wasn't Baptist. I was bummed out. I was asked to go to the prom by a nice southern belle with a double name; I declined in the hopes that the parents of the young lady that I initially asked would change their minds. They didn't and I ended up going alone but I had a great time. I found out later, that a high school classmate of mine who later became my college roommate my freshman and sophomore years of college had asked the southern belle to go to our prom and she declined because she was wanting to go with someone else, I can only assume that it was me.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went as a sophomore and junior both times with senior friends. Nobody in my friend group really dated in high school but we'd go to most of the formal dances with each other.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yes... as a Jr. and again as a Senior.

I went my Jr. year with the girl that I was dating. We broke up about 2 months later (she ended it) However while we were dating, she kept having this reoccurring nightmare of me and her best friend getting together Guess who I went to Sr Prom with... yes, the best friend. We went just as friends and the ex "said" that she was ok with it, but I knew better. A little more than a decade letter, I heard that the ex and her friend had gotten into an argument about it and the ex was furious that the friend and I went together.

Looking back on the whole thing, I would rate it as just OK as HS was not an awesome time in my life and while I had fun, it did not hold a candle to college.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I didn’t go to my senior prom.

I had a lot of friends in high school, both male and female. However, I was very socially awkward when it came to dating or romance. I asked five different girls to the prom, and they all turned me down. :( One of the girls that said “no” went stag. It didn’t help that I went to a science/engineering magnet high school where the male-to-female ratio was roughly 60/40.

There weren’t any girls who later admitted they liked me but were too shy to admit it, or that I realized years later really liked me. I could have invented the term “friendzone.”

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Older women must have a thing for me: When I was a sophomore I got invited to go with a girl who was a junior. We were in science class together and I think she appreciated that I was always willing to help. I was a bit of a clown but I was smart and nice with everybody. She was very pretty and 17 and I was an awkward 15-year-old and was just happy to be invited. I did feel a little out of place at the after party but still had a good time. My junior year I got invited by a senior girl. I don't know that she really dug guys and maybe she just didn't want to go by herself (and this was the mid-90s in the suburban Midwest so her showing up with a girl wouldn't fly) but she was a friend of friends and I obliged as I enjoyed going the previous year and we had a good time. I lost touch with her after she graduated but looking up her name now I see that she did become a softball phenom at a small college out in Maister's neck of the woods.

When I was a senior I went with the girl I was dating at the time. We were already headed towards being broken up though. I think we maybe last a week or two together after my prom before we stopped seeing each other.

Fun postscript: I stayed friends with the girl I went with my sophomore year but we were never really an item and didn't have enough friends in common that we would cross paths too often or anything. I randomly saw her at a party at Michigan State when I was home on leave one time (back in '97 or '98?) and then never saw or heard from her again (and really hadn't even thought of her again) until 2010 when my wife was pregnant with our first and I went with her to one of the appointments at the OBGYN and it turned out that my date was the PA at the doctor's office. She recognized me right away and said when she saw my name on my wife's insurance that she was wondering if it was me. My wife thought it was funny that we went to high school together until the PA said, "Yeah, and he was my date to prom in 1995!" then she was a lot less amused and didn't invite me back to any other of her OBGYN appointments unless she knew she would be seeing the doctor and NOT the PA. :rofl: She's a bit of the jealous type.

And surely you and Maister had to have had have some crazy Marine gala's / ball's during your time enlisted!

In Fact, Maister's prom was alright, as alright as a Michigan Prom could be in 1982, but it was on Okinawa while serving with the Few, the Proud where he had his most wild "formal" party invitation; It was the traditional Okinawan wedding ceremony of his Sensei's oldest daughter (you see Maister learned the deadly art of Okinawan Kara-te from the traditional masters during his time on the Island, and had a thing for Sensei's daughter, but luckily nothing came to pass from it, because she was not allowed to date Westerners). Needless to say, there was ALLOT of Sake and maaaaybe even some fighting that wild night in 1984.......

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
And surely you and Maister had to have had have some crazy Marine gala's / ball's during your time enlisted!

I went to a Marine Corps Ball twice and it was always a bore. I only went because it was required at a certain command I worked it. However, for one of the balls, a friend reserved one of the beach houses on Onslow Beach for the few days leading up to it and afterwards and we had a blast there. The weather was still great so we could still enjoy the beach and it was like 5 or 6 of us with our dates for a few days in the sun and sand. We were all pretty well behaved but it was a fun way to relax.

Both of the balls I went to were large ones with probably like 500+ Marines plus their dates. They were very tightly choreographed and felt too impersonal. I've heard that the smaller balls that were just a single unit or battalion were always more fun (those were also the ones that were usually held in a hotel ballroom and that just seems like a more crazy-story-inducing environment than a massive fieldhouse).

In any event, small birthday celebrations in the field or while deployed > than a formal Marine Corps Birthday Ball.

I did attend a few "Mess Nights" (aka "Dining-In" in the other branches) and those were always way more fun than the balls. If somebody asked me to describe a Mess Night I'd say that it's sort of a Friar's Club Roast with crazy rules that can lead to fines. It's pretend formal (if that makes sense) and the formality is part of the fun. As the evening progresses and the required drinking increases, the formality devolves and it just gets more and more fun. However, we didn't generally bring dates to the Mess Nights.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I went my junior and senior years - both were underwhelming.

For the junior year, I took an attractive girl that I had been casually hanging out in group settings, but the awkward teenage years did us no favors on the 1 on 1 setting at prom, and was ultimately a pretty awful date experience.

For the senior year, I went with a group of my friends in a limo. I had a "date" that was simply a lower classmen friend that I hooked up with a ticket, but since one of the other girls in the limo didn't like her, she didn't join the group. It was more fun than the year before, but still pretty boring, and I think had that person been included in the group, it probably would have been better.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Weird thought, popped into my head because my mother works with our local schools chaperoning them, and the class of 2021 just had theirs a few weeks ago.

In 2009, I did not go to my Senior prom. I went a Hardcore Punk basement show in Poughkeepsie, NY that night instead. The next day, a Cheerleader who I had a flirtatious relationship with revealed to me she liked me, and wished I had asked her to go (she was a grade below me, a Junior).

I don't regret not going to prom, but I do regret not going out with said cheerleader.

Did you go to your prom?
Several interesting thoughts here:

My senior prom was the second date I ever went on. The academic achievers (nerds) were rapidly asking each other and I didn't want to get left out so I asked Allison D. (or perhaps she asked me; I think it was a mutual consent thing). My first date was taking Allison to a movie a week before the prom. She was nice and I kind of wish I would have asked her our earlier, not only because she was nice but because her father was an on-air news guy at the radio station that broadcast the Sabres games and I probably could have gone to several for free. ;) She is now an acting dean at a law school.

I was basically scared of girls during high school. I have no sisters and didn't feel comfortable around girls. I didn't feel like i had much to offer and was afraid of rejection. If I asked someone out and they turned me down, I was afraid I'd be labeled a loser. That was obviously a mistake and I found out later that at least four girls I had some level of crush on would have gone out with me if I had only asked, usually because I ran into them during college and they asked me why I never asked them out. Of course these revelations always came to me during chance encounters, almost always just before I was going back to college three hundred miles away.

The first inkling I got that I might actually be seen in a favorable light by the fairer gender was a friend who told me during my junior year that a senior girl wanted me to ask her to her prom. I didn't have the cojones and later found out that even though she was pretty and (in my mind at least) clearly out of my league, no one else asked her to the prom and she sat home. That should have been enough to get me in the game during my senior year but I was still afraid of girls.

Fortunately my wife made it abundantly clear that she was interested or I might still be afraid of girls!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Somehow I went my sophomore, junior, and senior years and as a college freshman.

Sophomore year a girl from my town who was a senior asked me- I think mostly because she didn't want to go with a senior guy who was asking her.

Junior year with a "friend group" of total nerds/class clowns like me and all of our dates were from the City Down the Road.

Senior year, alone and heartbroken after a breakup of sorts, then asked a friend last-minute and she "had to pick her mother up at the airport" that night.

College freshman, had started dating the heartbreaker from senior year again as she was now a senior. (Young adulthood is a great time to learn lessons about getting your heart broken over and over again by the same person!)

Anyway, in a small rural high school, everybody kind of did everything. So weird nerds like me went to prom, so did jocks, so did the redneck crowd, and we all kind of intermingled anyhow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I was basically scared of girls during high school. I have no sisters and didn't feel comfortable around girls. I didn't feel like i had much to offer and was afraid of rejection. If I asked someone out and they turned me down, I was afraid I'd be labeled a loser. That was obviously a mistake and I found out later that at least four girls I had some level of crush on would have gone out with me if I had only asked, usually because I ran into them during college and they asked me why I never asked them out.
I was in the same boat. I can't tell you how many times I've heard this theme repeated by others. Moral of the story: carpe diem.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
There is a girl I knew it HS but never asked out. She's a friend and a pretty consistent one. She's the only reason I have anything to do with the people I went to HS with. Had I asked her out in HS, we probably would have gotten married eventually.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Same for me
beside do you think I would have spent any money on something like that ?
Back in the day, prom was not a four figure endeavor. I recall paying maybe $30 for tux rental, $10 for a corsage, and $20 for two tickets. The parents pitched in to throw a cocktail party and light dinner beforehand. (We were 18 and of legal drinking age) the after-party was in a motel room with beer and hippy lettuce, but, the pastor's daughter had to be home by midnight so I was stag by that point.

DVD

Cyburbian
I went to the girl friends HS prom. Other than a good time with the girl friend it kind of sucked because I didn't know anyone.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Went to senior prom, stayed for about 20 minutes. Then went to a condo project under construction and drank.