• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Did you remember to vote?

el Guapo

Capitalist
The deadline for your APA ballots is today. So get in the car and head to APA HQ real quick. Can somebody handycap the race for us? Looks like the polls have just closed in FL. Gore has taken the state.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This is SAD

I know it sounds bad, but I really don't recall which APA candidates I voted for. I recall looking through the position statements and selecting the one that appeared to casue the least harm...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Voted last month...

Wow...posts other than mine in here. :)

I remember who I voted for, only because I got so much "junk" from candidates and what not, since I guess they thought I'd have some influence on voters in NH since I'm the NH State Director of the No. NE Chapter.

What they don't realize is that as a chapter, we don't endorse candidates. We simply provide the information for an "informed" vote.

The results should be interesting...as, someone on my executive committee said, there seemed to be a "renegade" slate of petition candidates this year.

I voted a mix of the "renegades" and the slate. I voted on 1 primary objective: continuing education. If you were more supportive, you got my vote.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
I didn't vote. I didn't get around to reading the position statements.

Does it really matter anyway? Does anybody know what these people do?

NHPlanner

Staff member
planasaurus wrote:
I didn't vote. I didn't get around to reading the position statements.

Does it really matter anyway? Does anybody know what these people do?
Set the policy for APA, determine the fate of continuing education for AICP, decide whether or not to raise dues, ...among other things (since you asked...here you go):
(one of my perks as a state director...access to leadership sections of APA's website. :) )

4. BOARD OF DIRECTORS

4.1 Board of Directors: Powers and Composition
The affairs of the Association shall be managed by a Board of Directors. The Board of Directors, consistent with the Articles of Incorporation, shall include thirteen members of the Association and shall be constituted as follows:

A. The two elected officers of the Association identified in Section 5.1 of these Bylaws.

B. Four Directors shall be elected at-large by the Association. Of these, one shall be elected pursuant to the criteria permitted in Section 6.21(a), and one may be elected from among candidates who meet the criteria of Section 6.21(b).

C. Six Directors shall be elected from the Electoral Regions of the Association described in Section 6.1 of these Bylaws, and elected by members whose address of record is within the applicable region.

D. One Director shall be elected at-large by the Association and shall be the President of AICP having been nominated by AICP pursuant to the Bylaws of AICP.

4.2 Board of Directors: Terms of Office
Five directors shall be elected biennially and the ten elected directors shall serve four-year terms on a staggered basis. The terms of elected directors shall commence in even-numbered years six weeks after the Annual Meeting. The term of the AICP President shall be concurrent with that of the APA President.

4.3 Board of Directors: Meetings
There shall be at least two regular meetings of the Board of Directors in any calendar year at times and places to be determined by the President. One of these meetings shall be held in conjunction with the Association's annual meeting. Reasonable notice shall be given of such meetings, and the Executive Director shall use all practical means to give the earliest effective notice of such meetings. On reasonable notice, special meetings may be held at a location designated by the President or by telephone conferences or equipment of similar communications by means of which all directors participating in the meeting can hear each other. A majority of the members of the Board of Directors may convene a meeting of the Board by giving reasonable notice to the other Board members, which notice shall state the time and place of said meeting. The chairs of the Chapter Presidents, Divisions, and Student Representatives Councils, as defined in Articles 8, 9, and 10, shall represent the interests of their councils at all regularly scheduled and special meetings of the Board of Directors, except those held in executive session, which they may attend with the approval of two-thirds of the Board. Parliamentary procedures at Board meetings shall be governed by Robert's Rules of Order (the pertinent edition of which may be designated by the President).

4.4 Board of Directors: Quorum
A majority of the members shall constitute a quorum of the Board of Directors for the transaction of business at any meeting.

4.5 Board of Directors: Action Without Meeting
An action may be taken by the Board of Directors without a meeting if there is unanimous written consent of the Board, setting forth the action taken.

4.6 Board of Directors: Removal of Elected Directors
An elected Director may be removed from office for cause and after hearing whenever, in the judgement of four-fifths of the Board of Directors, the best interest of the Association will be served thereby. Cause for removal from office shall include commission of a breach of professional ethics, conviction of a felony, or absence from two consecutive meetings of the Board except for reasons of illness. The hearing shall be conducted by the Executive Committee.

4.7 Board of Directors: Vacancies
If a vacancy occurs on the Board of Directors by reason of the resignation, removal, death or incapacity of any Director, the Board, using the standards for nomination set forth in Section 6.2, and, if applicable, Section 6.21, may appoint a member of the Association to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the term except that: if the vacancy is of the seat held by the AICP Commission President, the vacancy shall be filled pursuant to the Bylaws of AICP.

5. OFFICERS

5.1 Officers: Election, Appointment and Terms
The two elected officers of the Association shall be a President and, in alternate years, a President-Elect or an Immediate Past President. The President-Elect shall serve a term which commences in even-numbered years six weeks after the Annual Meeting. The President-Elect shall take office as President at the beginning of the next annual meeting and shall serve as President until the beginning of the annual meeting next held during an odd-numbered year, at which time the President shall become the Immediate Past President for a term which will end upon the assumption of office by a President-Elect in the following even-numbered year. The appointed officers of the Association shall be an Executive Director, a Secretary, a Treasurer, an Assistant Secretary and an Assistant Treasurer. The office of Secretary and Treasurer, or of Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer, may be held by the same person. The treasurer shall serve a two-year term. The terms of all other appointed officers shall be at the pleasure of the Board.

5.2 Officers: President
The President shall preside at the meetings of the Board of Directors, of the Executive Committee, and of members. The President shall provide leadership on the development of association policies in coordination with the Board of Directors and shall prepare policies and objectives for consideration by the Board. The President shall have power to create, appoint and discharge all national committees unless otherwise provided in these Bylaws and receive recommendations for committee appointments from the Presidents of the Chapters and the Chairpersons of the Divisions. The President shall examine and report upon the program of the Association and its implementation. The President shall call meetings and perform other duties required by these Bylaws and any additional duties that may be assigned by the Board of Directors.

5.3 Officers: President-Elect
The President-Elect shall chair the Development Plan and Budget Committee. The President-Elect shall exercise the powers and duties of the President during the absence or incapacity of the President and shall perform such other duties required by these Bylaws or as may be assigned by these Bylaws or assigned by the Board of Directors.

5.4 Officers: Immediate Past President
The Immediate Past President shall exercise the powers and duties of the President during the absence or incapacity of the President and the President-Elect, and shall perform such duties as may be required by these Bylaws or assigned by the Board of Directors.

5.5 Officers: Secretary and Treasurer
The Board of Directors shall appoint a Secretary and a Treasurer from among the Directors to serve for two years, but not beyond the expiration of the elective term. The Secretary and the Treasurer may be the same person. The Secretary shall supervise the preparation of the minutes of all meetings of the Board of Directors Executive Committee or members, the use of the corporate seal, the delivery of notices as required by these Bylaws, and the execution of all election procedures. The Secretary shall perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President or the Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall supervise the standards and form of financial records and statements, of the annual audit, and of the implementation of Board policies governing the management of the Association's finances.

5.6 Officers: Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer
The Executive Director shall nominate, and the Board of Directors appoint, a member of the association staff to serve at the pleasure of the Board as Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer. The Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer shall prepare and maintain the Association's records to meet the requirements set, respectively, by the Secretary and the Treasurer and shall provide such reports as meet those requirements. The Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer shall have such other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director. They need not be members of the Association. The tenure of office of the Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer shall cease automatically upon their termination of employment from the staff of the Association.

5.7 Officers: Executive Director
The Executive Director shall be appointed by the Board of Directors and shall serve at the pleasure of the Board with such compensation as the board shall fix. The APA Board shall consult the AICP Commission on any action regarding the appointment of the Executive Director. The Executive Director shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Association. The Executive Director shall carry out the policies and directions of the Board of Directors and shall assist the Board in the development of policies and objectives for the Association. The Executive Director shall biennially prepare and submit to the Development Plan and Budget Committee, for its review, a plan for the development of the Association, revising the plan most recently approved and projecting it an additional two years. The plan shall include: (a) an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the Association's programs and how well it is fulfilling its mission; (b) propose activities to be pursued as strategic priorities for the following three to five years; © general program elements for the following year, involving individually-budgeted products or services, in implementation of the priorities; and (d) specific criteria or indicators for each program element as a basis for determining staff execution of priority activities. The Executive Director shall consult with the President for the purpose of coordinating the Committees and Divisions of the Association. The Executive Director shall biennially prepare a proposed budget for consideration by the Board of Directors. Upon approval by the Board, the Executive Director shall have authority to spend the sums appropriated. The Executive Director shall be responsible for the funds and records of the Association and for executing the actions of the Board. The Executive Director shall appoint and discharge employees of the Association and shall fix their compensation within the limits required by the budget. The Executive Director may enter into agreement on behalf of the Association subject to the budgets and policies adopted by the Board. The Executive Director shall perform all other duties required by these Bylaws or assigned by the President or Board of Directors.

5.8 Officers: Vacancies
If the office of President becomes vacant, the President-Elect shall succeed to that office for the remainder of the term as well as for the following term. Vacancies in the office of President-Elect shall not be filled. If the office of President becomes vacant when there is no President-Elect, the Immediate Past President shall serve as President until the Board of Directors shall elect an acting President to serve for the balance of the term. If the office of President becomes vacant when there is neither a President-Elect nor an Immediate Past President, the Board of Directors shall elect an acting President to serve the balance of the term. If the seat held by the Immediate Past President shall fall vacant, it shall remain vacant until occupied by the incumbent President.

5.9 Officers: Removal
Any Officer elected or appointed may be removed for cause by the persons authorized to elect or appoint officers whenever in their judgement the best interest of the Association will be served thereby.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Election Results

YAY! We like Mary Kay Peck! Rock on Henderson, NV!

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: Election Results

bturk wrote:
YAY! We like Mary Kay Peck! Rock on Henderson, NV!
Yeah, I don't mind Mary Kay as Prez....it's the AICP results that are personally disappointing...looks like continuing education will be back burner'ed for at least a couple more years. :(