• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Disaster Preparedness

What's your level of disaster preparedness?

• I have my duffel bag packed, my duct tape, plastic sheeting, water, food, emergency supplies, radio

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Um, we've got some extra water around, and we have the flashlights anyway. I really doubt we'll need

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Come on, You're really buying into these scare tactics?

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Disaster preparedness? Whatchoo talkin' bout, willis?

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
OK - so everyone now has read about how we should have duct tape and plastic sheeting ready, 2 weeks of water and food, flashlights and a radio, and an evacuation plan ready. Is anyone actually doing this?

Rob and I actually got in a huge fight yesterday about whether or not i should fly out to visit my brother in LA (from albany), with "impending terrorism" looming. I want to go, he doesn't want me to go. Now, fine. I don't mind having a couple extra gallons of water in the pantry, and it always makes good sense to have working flashlights in the car and house, but duct tape? plastic sheeting?

sigh. do i really want to be getting pregnant?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yesterday was the first day I heard about duct tape and plastic sheeting. If I were in DC or NYC I might stock up, but not in the suburban setting I'm in - we're too dispersed for anyone to cause significant havoc.

Water might be another issue. I'll probably buy a bit more of the bottled stuff if In think of it when I'm at the store.

Our Utility guys just had a homeland security briefing with the state DNR and the EPA. Basicially, the system plans are no longer to be a freely accessible public document. Strange paradigm shifts abound, huh?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My plan is to be one of the first looters out on the street.

I've collected a bit of kit, but not with disaster-preparedness in mind. It's basically just a collection of odds and ends that I've gotten over the years - flashlights, thermal blanket, matches, flares, first aid kit, etc. - mainly just extra stuff from my auto-emergency kit.

Oh, and I still have a closet full of canned food and water left from my Y2K emergency kit ;)

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
I was watching the news last night and they showed all the people buying thier "emergency supplies" and people had carts piled with anything and everything you could possibly imagine.
They said that the tape and plastic would do nothing if there was an attack so it wasn't worth buying. I really don't want my house full of crap that I am not going to use. I am more worried about my brother who is being shipped out to Iraq on the 21st, I would just like to see him come home, that is my only concern right now.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Uhhhh..I have duct tape and some extra garbage bags laying around, will that work? I have so much canned food that I never eat. I could probably last 2 months.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have had the same emergency pack in the back of my car for 15 years now, and I have a similar one in the house. Growing up in California, it was pretty normal to have an emergency pack in the back of your car for earthquakes mainly. But I've kept it around now that I'm driving through rural areas on icy roads to get to work every day.

It has:

An emergency blanket
A whistle (takes less energy than screaming when you are stuck)
Candles and matches
Rope
Water
Food (which reminds me it's time to change it)
A transistor radio
A knife
Work gloves
Tennis shoes
Extra socks
An extra $20 (which, come to think of it I think is still in US $... hee!)
I can't remember what else is in there...

My mom put this together when I started driving because she was afraid that I would be stuck somewhere in LA when there is an earthquake and I would need to walk 20 or 30 miles to get home. It's been handy from time to time (I've used the knife and matches a few times). I've actually added to it since I've been here (kitty litter and a shovel). One of my phobias is getting stuck in the snow.

As for my house... I just have extra water around (but that's still more from growing up in my mom's earthquake preparedness program more than worrying about terrorism).

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Mary Poppins said:
I was watching the news last night and they showed all the people buying thier "emergency supplies" and people had carts piled with anything and everything you could possibly imagine.
They said that the tape and plastic would do nothing if there was an attack so it wasn't worth buying. I really don't want my house full of crap that I am not going to use. I am more worried about my brother who is being shipped out to Iraq on the 21st, I would just like to see him come home, that is my only concern right now.
Well put....and I agree, we're not exactly right in the target area for attacks. I know that Ben is the first thing I think of every time I see war news.

[ot]
Have a great day at work hon! :h
[/ot]

el Guapo

Capitalist
Call for fire

We have had the emergency supplies gathered and ready since pre-2000. I have extra fuel, water, food, batteries and all sorts of commo. The key is to have lots of ammo. Eventually you may need to harvest your neighbors. :0

That last line was a joke. These supplies are a good thing to have because disasters that are even non-terrorism related do strike. You would never know that because of the media frenzy. We lost power for a day back in 2001 during a fierce blizzard. With all of our preparedness we were able to cope quite well.

If you are truly interested in this subject I recommend the Emergency Preparedness & Survival Guide which has 108 articles on all facets of preparedness on CD for $12.95 from Backwoods Home Magazine. This is the best post disaster - planning for zero assistance from the government for some time - guide you will find. Be sure to print them off before the disaster because your PC may not work afterwards.

Some of you may find the politics of BWHM distasteful. I assure you it is the mildest of the self reliance libertarian web sites. I recommend reading John Silveria's works for a peak in to the classical libertarian/conservative mind.

If this custard hits the fan you can hunker down with me at
N 39.79956
W094.80636

Bring Food and Ammo and Healthy Child-Rearing Age Women.

Approach from the west at 9:00 am. Pop green smoke on odd days, and red on even at 100 meters.

;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Save your duct tape and plastic sheeting. If the area you live in is hit with any sort of bio/chem weapon, you are never going to seal up every draft in your house.

Keep a shortwave radio, and guns in the house. Some water and canned goods, and you'll be good to go.

The Irish One

Paranoid Irish one rantzzz

This is about a nuke going off in one of the 2 major federal services areas -being Washington and New York. So just get your water, food, plenty of toilet paper and a weapon or two. the Feds are going to be so busy restoring the civil nerve network., like financial services for ensuring credit and the safe distribution of precious commodities. Until things get going again you'll want to avoid stores. and wait by your computer until Cyburbia comes back on.

The key is to have lots of ammo. Eventually you may need to harvest your neighbors
I completely agree, humans can get pretty ugly and your best commodity is a supply of ammo/ weapons accompanied by a stable mind.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I don't really know how concerned to be about stocking up on water and plastic sheeting. If something crazy happened today, I'd just have to survive off of the 12-pack in my fridge and cans of tomatoes and beans in my pantry.

Our accounting staff is somewhat freaking out about the "Code Orange" alert. Maybe the bean-counters know something that I don't....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well, you can always sve the plastic sheets for the bedroom in case PlannerGirl and Mastiff come over to play. ;)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Call for fire

El Guapo said:

If this custard hits the fan you can hunker down with me at
N 39.79956
W094.80636

;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
bturk said:
Well, you can always sve the plastic sheets for the bedroom in case PlannerGirl and Mastiff come over to play. ;)
Oh yeah...

But you know what is killing me? They want me to develop some strategic plan for the community water system by 2004... Now I have dozens of firms calling me to "help" with the plan... for a fee, of course.

If someone wanted to contaminate a water system, you can plan all you want, and you'd never stop it. Find an out of the way water main, dig two feet, drill a small hole, stuff a hypo without the needle in the hole, and inject whatever nasties you want.

The Irish One

now north korea can nuke the western US, left coast is just so vulnerable. I can't live my life in fear, but I know the mushroom cloud over one of our cities is coming.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mastiff said:

If someone wanted to contaminate a water system, you can plan all you want, and you'd never stop it. Find an out of the way water main, dig two feet, drill a small hole, stuff a hypo without the needle in the hole, and inject whatever nasties you want.
Its even easier than that. Hook up a drum and compressor to any domestic faucet, turn on the facet, and pump against the relatively low water pressure of the municipal system. Do this from a dozen apartments around a mid sized City - it would be impossible to pinpoint the source and would take weeks to flush the system clean.

the only thing i really worry about is an emergency involving an evacuation. albany/schenectady/troy, like most cities, would be a total mess.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
Even easier than that here: we use surface water. Surface water that comes from a lake with a lot of recreational boating. Surface water that comes from a lake within 200 feet of a state highway. Surface water that comes from a lake that is ringed with roads, homes, sewer lift stations, a couple of commercial marinas with fuel pumps, several unground fuel tanks upgradient within a few hundred feet, etc.

Our concern is not terrorism, but your plain-vanilla everyday stuff: leaking underground storage tanks (LUST!), a chemical spill on the highway, fuel (hydrocarbons, MBTE, and other nasties) contamination from improperly fuelled boats, a major malfunction in a sewer lift station, that kind of stuff.

I'll let somebody else worry about terrorism. I'll worry about the things that are more likely to happen here.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Just stay away from the buffet table....that's all I can say.

Funny how everyone I know used to think I was crazy when I used to say that the war on our turf would begin at the Wendy's Super Bar.

That was pre 9-11 though.

donk

Cyburbian
If you are supposed to put plastic over your windows, i must be really prepared as it is done already.....

But only to keep the winter drafts out.

But seriously, on the water items, considering we regularily have boil orders who could tell the difference?

In my car I keep a flash light, lighter, candle, blanket, book to read, gloves, hat, boots suitable for walking in, and extra windshield washer fluid.

SGB

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
the only thing i really worry about is an emergency involving an evacuation. albany/schenectady/troy, like most cities, would be a total mess.
I can't imagine it being any worse than the Friday evening northbound traffic on the Northway during ski season. ;)

SGB said:

I can't imagine it being any worse than the Friday evening northbound traffic on the Northway during ski season. ;)
hee! i can't even imagine what a nightmare exit 24 (busiest toll plaza on the entire stretch of 90 in NYS) on the thruway would be!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
The Irish one said:
now north korea can nuke the western US, left coast is just so vulnerable. I can't live my life in fear, but I know the mushroom cloud over one of our cities is coming.
They'd probably miss and hit Canada or Mexico.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Allright, one question on this whole duct tape and plastic bubble you're supposed to seal yourself into....

Where is your oxygen supply coming from?

isn't every one supposed to create their own biosphere? the next item for stockpile is pothos, ivy and spiderplants.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
Allright, one question on this whole duct tape and plastic bubble you're supposed to seal yourself into....

Where is your oxygen supply coming from?
And would it be rude for a family member to fart inside the bubble?

donk

Cyburbian
And would it be rude for a family member to fart inside the bubble?
Reminds me of the simpsons episode when Bart is living in the bubble and lisa opens the bubble's door and bart says "wasn't me".

Habanero

Cyburbian
If I was sealed up in a bubble with James and the dog I'd die within a few days- those boys can fart like it's going out of style. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Re: Call for fire

giff57 said:
Yep - Thats it Giff. Clear-Interlocking-Fields-of-Fire in all directions. - Well, that is after I burn down my neighbor's homes.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mastiff said:
If someone wanted to contaminate a water system, you can plan all you want, and you'd never stop it.
Or we could introduce millions of tons of harsh pesiticide and hebicide chemicals into our farming practices. That would poision their water and bring the yellow running dog infidel to his knees! Praise Allah!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Re: Re: Call for fire

El Guapo said:

Yep - Thats it Giff. Clear-Interlocking-Fields-of-Fire in all directions. - Well, that is after I burn down my neighbor's homes.
I had never had the opportunity to use the "Find Coordinate" feature in my GIS before. Just had to test it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
Those are the lat. and lon. of my Bar-B-Que Grill!
Off Topic: EG, I just used up the last of the CowTown sauce on a fantastic Chicken BBQ... Tip-o-the-hat to ya, bud.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Back at you Brian, and all the other kind planners that helped me on my journey to AICP adulthood. You guys truly rock. The cow town cost what the all of the other bottles did combined. How was it in comparison? Which did you prefer the most?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
Which did you prefer the most?
The only other bottle I've opened so far was the Mauls. I had that on chicken and on shredded pork. I favored it on pork, as it seemed the flavor came though the best when mixed thoughout and not just basted on. (could just be the volume used though) :)

The cowtown I tried on grilled chicken and it was so good, I didnt experiment - used it up on another batch of chicken. It was definitely a rich sauce, and not smokey, which I really dig.

Sitting here at work I'm drawing a blank on the third bottle's brand. I've got a rack of spare ribs waiting for it though!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
El Guapo said:
Back at you Brian, and all the other kind planners that helped me on my journey to AICP adulthood. You guys truly rock. The cow town cost what the all of the other bottles did combined. How was it in comparison? Which did you prefer the most?
Haven't had a lot of time for cue lately...so all we've tried at my house is the Mauls. As soon as I can clear a path to the grill, I'll report back to you on the cowtown.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The hard part is finding the right sauce for each meat hat. I prefer a Honey-Mustard for My Chicken Wing Bowler.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ah yes, but at least my Pastrami Baret is curing quite nicely.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Living 3 miles from DC i have my plan in place and active. here is where my work on it is now. i dont buy into the plasic sheet and duct tape crap-sorry air is gonna get in or your dead anyway. shrugs its the cost of living in "Rome" and im very happy here

Personal emergency plan

Contact people
Scott
aunt Mary (in Richmond)
Room mates?

Emergency supplies:
Water (need more bottled)
Dog food (keep extra small bag around)
Cash (keep 50?)
Keep gas ½ full min *done*
Maps *done*
Paper list of emergency numbers
Copy of dog shot records (cat food) *done*
Candles/matches *done*
Warm clothing/blankets *done*
Can opener *done*
First aid kit *done*
Caned/non perishable foods *done*
Batteries radio/batteries/charged cell batts (need batteries, size?)

Make copies of all important personal documents and send to dad in Fla in
case I and/or my home are destroyed.

If an attack should happen
1) PG calls aunt Mary and uncle Bunny in Richmond letting them know sheis ok etc as soon as she can establish a phone link
a. Aunt Mary calls dad and other family to give them
update/waits for call from Scott

2) PG will make contact with roommates if possible

3) PG and Scott try to meet up at her house (deemed safer-farther from City and military targets
a. Scott can bring Chloe in the kitty cage-dogs will stay in PGs room
4) PG will check in with aunt Mary as needed/possible and others can check with aunt Mary

Family in Richmond will be the point of contact for friends and
family odds are lines in the DC area will be down or flooded. Net will besluggish from news traffic. Is a possibility the root servers in Reston could go down loosing most the internet?

Few friends will have Richmond contact number and are ONLY to call that number if they have not heard from PG for 10 hours after the event has happened or the news of the event has broken

Did i miss anything?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Ever see the movie "Red Dawn," starring Patrick Swayze? Came out circa 1984-1985.

If I remember correctly, a coalition of Mid East and Soviet armies invade the U.S. Patrick Swayze, his family, and friends lived in some small town. After everyone is rounded up and put in camps, somehow Swayze and friends elude our invaders, go to the local hardware store, and stock up on Hostess Cupcakes, guns, and ammo. Then they head for the hills. They camp out and make plans to kick some Arab and Commie butt.

All this talk about duct tape and plastic sheeting reminds me of this movie. You should rent it and see for yourself. Will make you feel like a Patriot!

WOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiines!!!!!!!

Total Hollywood schlock.

By the way, all this stuff about getting prepared for a terrorist attack makes me ill. There is no way I'm going to prepare for that remore possibility. I have a whole new respect for FDR:

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Runner

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
Save your duct tape and plastic sheeting. If the area you live in is hit with any sort of bio/chem weapon, you are never going to seal up every draft in your house.

Keep a shortwave radio, and guns in the house. Some water and canned goods, and you'll be good to go.
I had to almost laugh about the plastic and duct tape. Just when do you put in on and what do you wear while doing it? And when your finished does your family let you in the house or keep the doors locked?

Anyhow, we may invest in some extra water. I'd like to get the small pox vaccine now but our health department tells me they won't have it available until March or April.