• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Disclaimers in e-mail from lawyers?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Jeez. I got a one line e-mail from an attorney. It was followed by this disclaimer.

[tt]This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not the Addressee named herein, or the party responsible for delivering this to said Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, forwarding, printing, disseminating, or otherwise distributing this electronic mail message shall be prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps necessary to delete said message completely from your computer system.

Electronic mail messages can be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses and/or trojan horses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this electronic mail message which arise as a result of transmission. If verification is required, request a signed hard-copy version. This electronic mail message should not be be construed as establishing an attorney-client privilege where no such privilege has been established or arranged previously.[/tt]

Anyone else starting to get these?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Screw Them!

I have seen them. I'm not impressed one bit by the bully tactics some lawyers use. These lawyers sure have balls telling you that in essence “I may have screwed up and sent this email to you by mistake, the contents are privileged, and therefore you have to take action to cover my mistake.” Well screw 'em I say. Post that letter on the Smoking Gun! Alternatively, auction it off on eBay. Its yours once it arrives unsolicited in to your domain.

BKM

Cyburbian
Just like we crib zoning ordinance language from other cities, lawyers crib "liability" language from each other. This is very similar to our lawyers' disclaimer.

prudence

Cyburbian
Yes, every time I get something from any one of our attorneys the disclaimer is attached.

They take themselves too seriously. If they were that concerned, they'd meet me in an undisclosed location and whisper it in my ear...just like in the movies.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol yes

i expect to see them start appearing on personal emails from attys i have/do/will date.

but in this lawsuit happy country i guess they have to CYA too

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The most annoying attorney I've dealt with signs his name as follows:

With best regards, I am,

(Name), esq.

I think he's trying to sound like a superhero.

H

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
The most annoying attorney I've dealt with signs his name as follows:

With best regards, I am,

(Name), esq.

That is TRULY asinine, however, I find it not so surprising that it comes from an attorney….

YEAH THAT’S RIGHT! I SAID IT! I’M ATTORNY BASHING!! ;)

ecofem

Cyburbian
Not that it will make you feel better or anything, but lawyer-folk put the disclaimers on their faxes and e-mails for ethical reasons... they don't want to get in trouble with their respective state bars for unintentionally disclosing privileged information.

However, the lame signature "With best regards, I am".... I have no explanation for. The only time I've run into that is from a guy who practices in South Florida. (not that I'm biased against South Florida lawyers or anything... heh.... o.k. I am.)

Most attorneys I know don't use "Esq." after signing.... However, I must admit, it comes in handy when you are complaining about goods/services. I actually got customer service at Priceline to respond. That was a feat in and of itself. Not really worth the $60K in student loans, however....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
prudence said:
They take themselves too seriously. If they were that concerned, they'd meet me in an undisclosed location and whisper it in my ear...just like in the movies.
I thought those were just your "tricks". ;)