• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Disclaimers

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Last night I saw an advertisement for one of those "miracle drugs" that was designed for something like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (unpleasant enough on its own, but that's not the line of thought here). Then, before the ad was half over, it launched into a very extensive list of possible side effects and disclaimers as to who shouldn't use the product.

I question products that you can spend more time talking about the negative things that can happen than the positive. Do these ads make money in the long run? It seems to me that they could be marketed better.

What are some of your favorite medical disclaimers?

Some of mine are...

"Broken pills should not be handled by pregnant women"

For a stomach remedy: "May cause diarrhea, dizzyness or vomiting"

For "hair growth stimulation" medication: "May cause headaches, dizzyness or loss of consciousness"

These are all real disclaimers for real "medicine"

Habanero

Cyburbian
Didn't it say somewhere on those "special" less fat potato chips "may cause anal leakage"? Ew.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I absolutely LOVE the fact that the government makes them clearly list the side effects in commericals because it must piss the companies off so much. It means they can spend millions on an ad showing people doing tai-chi* and they still have to mention anal seepage etc.

* yes, all perscription drug commercials show tai-chi.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
The "broken pill-pregnant" thing is serious. I am quite sure it is thalidomide (or derivitive therefrom). A great wonder drug, except it creates deformed babies. It was a major part in the public opinion for Roe vs. Wade several decades ago.