• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Discovering good music through opening acts....

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Went to a 3 Doors Down concert the other night (not particularly interested in them, but was invited to go with a "friend" ;) ) and the opening acts of Shinedown and Tantric were really good....in fact I've made a point to download several Shinedown songs over the past couple of days.....

Similarly, when I saw Live a couple of years ago, the opening act, Splender, blew me away and I went right out to buy their CD.

Anyone else "discover" good music by seeing an opening act at a concert?

Just thought this would be a good Friday topic....

Lyburnum

Cyburbian
Girls Against Boys opened for Jawbox (I think) in 93 or 94. I had heard them before on record and wasn't really interested. But after seeing them live and being very impressed, the recorded music suddenly seemed much better. Same thing goes for Sunny Day Real Estate opening for Shudder to Think around that same time period.

donk

Cyburbian
Went to see John Prine in November. The opening act was Jimmy Rankin. While I knew his music, his live show was so good that it changed my mind about him. Waiting for the local store to get his new CD in for me.

He even does an anti wal~mart song.

Looking back, weirdest (in terms of fame) opening acts Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins opened for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Detroit in 92.

Bangorian

Generally I've seen a lot of piss-poor opening acts. Some noteworthy exceptions include:

Lambchop, Opening for Yo La Tengo
Josh Ritter, opening for Jimmie Dale Gilmore
The Cash Brothers, opening for The Jayhawks
Hum (their last show ever), opening for The Flaming Lips
The Meat Puppets, opening for Primus (a long, long time ago)

Lately, a lot of the shows I see don't have opening acts. I don't know why... perhaps its because the biggest shows I ever get to are only mid-sized shows, and really, the opening act is usually just a bore and a reason to be on your feet for an extra hour or two. I'd ratehr skip the opening act altogether, but at general admission shows, you've got to get there early enough to get a good spot.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Like the irish one, i see fewer and fewer concerts these days. Some memorable openers from my past:

Meat Beat Manifesto opening for 808 State

Nitzer Ebb opening for Depeche Mode

Da Da opening for Sting

PJ Harvey opening for U2 (ok, she wasnt that good, but memorable)

Living Color opening for Public Image Limited. I almost died in a crushing mob at that one)

Poi Dog Pondering opening for Dave Matthews. Come to think of it, I almost died in a crushing mob at that one too...

The Sugar Cubes opening for New Order and the Violent Femmes.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I got hooked on Mary's Danish when the opened for Jane's Addiction in 91or thereabouts. 1991 was a good year for opening acts. I saw Hole open for Smashing Pumpkins in a tiny little place called the Cattle Club in Sacramento and Pearl Jam (then relatively unknown) and Nirvana opened for Red Hot Chili Peppers that New Year's Eve at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.

Quail64

Cyburbian
Fastball from Collective Soul

The Beta Band from Radiohead (2001)

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks from Radiohead (2003)

donk

Cyburbian
Chet reminded me of another one

The Tragically Hip opened for depeche mode on either music for the masses of 101 tour at the old Exhibition stadium concert bowl in Toronto. Can't think of an odder combo of bands.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Like the irish one, i see fewer and fewer concerts these days.
That sounds like a good show. :8:

A few opening acts I've been turned onto include...

Luscious Jackson when they opened for REM back in '95.
Soul Coughing after seeing them open a show for Dave Matthews Band.
More recently I was impressed with Taking Back Sunday after seeing them play with Saves The Day.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I saw the Sugar Cubes opening for New Order too... but the middle band was PIL. Nobody was there yet for the Sugar Cubes really, and boy were they mad! Bunch of primadonnas (or at least that's how they came off). I loved the song "Hit" at the time, which was pretty good live.

Another three band gig that was pretty good around the same time was Gene Loves Jezebel opening for Echo and the Bunnymen opening for New Order. I guess New Order did a lot of gigs around that time. Echo and the Bunnymen was amazing.

While we're on 80's synth... I got into Siouxsie and the Banshees for awhile after I saw them open for the Psychedelic Furs. And I also heard the Weather Girls for the first time at my first ever concert in 1983 I think... they opened for Flock of Seagulls and the Thompson Twins at the Hollywood Bowl.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
LOL Nerudite, we should go clubbing together. ;)

I saw Genes Loves Jezebel open for PIL, but I had already discovered them by then.

[ot]This may reesult in thread splitting -- What about has been reunion tours you've seen?

I saw two great '80s reunion shows -

Howard Jones-Human League-Culture Club, and

Motels, Flock of Seagulls, and .... can't remember the third band on that tour. Might have been Gene Loves Jezebel!

[/ot]

Jeff

Cyburbian
I saw some chick band open for moe. last month. I don't remember the name of the band, not bad, though. I'd check them out again.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
LOL Nerudite, we should go clubbing together. ;)
[OT]
I'm there! ;)

Okay... have you ever heard of a band called Blancmange? I think their only 'big' song was called Living on the Ceiling. They were my favorite 80s synth band... I saw them twice.

One opening band of theirs was Timbuk3. God that was brutal! [/OT]

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Thought of another one this weekend.....

Saw Our Lady Peace open for Van Halen sometime early 90's.....

Mastiff

Gunfighter
AC/DC opening for Queen... ;-)

But more recently, Michelle Malone opening for Indigo Girls.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Had a chance to see Guns'n' Roses open for the Cult in the late '80's but turned it down. This was before GNR got big. not sure why I didn't go, because I was really into the Cult then. I think it was a financial thing.

Saw the Stray Cats open for Stevie Ray Vaughan around that time too. Not that the Stray Cats got that big, but Brian Setzer has had some longevity.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I can't begin to count all of the great opening bands that I discovered while attending concerts. Recently I would say Fountains of Wayne (before Stacy's Mom became a radio staple) opening for Wilco.

You can always tell when an opening band is going to be big when the merchandise table for them is more crowded than the headliner.