• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Discuss #2......

Rem

Cyburbian
A popular media commentator over here often states that people that drive inefficient cars (say 4WD's) are 'terrorist sympathisers'. Obviously a statement intended to cause a reaction but the argument is that petrol consumers not only keep the West tied to a vulnerable supply relationship but they also assist in funding groups involved in terrorism.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've always believed that the use of imported oil in the United States is a brilliant strategy of this administration, and those in the past. Think of it ... when all of their oil runs out, if it does, we'll still have reserves in North America.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Dan said:
I've always believed that the use of imported oil in the United States is a brilliant strategy of this administration, and those in the past. Think of it ... when all of their oil runs out, if it does, we'll still have reserves in North America.
I too, am opposed to a "pump America dry first" policy.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Kunstler is the often referred to as the 'hemmhoroid of planning' in these parts, but I dig his candor.

I wish I could start more letters and staff reports with words like "Frankly..." and "Common sense would dictate..."

My favorite from that article is the Law of Perverse Outcomes.
That law states that people don't get what they expect but they get what they deserve. Now THAT will be used in my next NIMBY response for sure!

Rem

Cyburbian
Dan said:
My undertsanding is that the US economy depends as much on cheap energy as the supply itself. When other sources dry up, won't it just extend the agony? The energy haves and have nots in competition may prove destructive within the US?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmm that's suposing that oil reserves are biogenic and the oil that there is, is the only oil that there is in this planet. But mabye, it's aboigenic (not produced by decomposition of biologic waste) and is burried at more or less 60 miles deep. And mabye there's also oil in Mars, and Venus, and other planets...

Here's the article: http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/INGLES/FossilFuels.html

PS: I'm not affirming such claims, I'm just keeping that option open. and informing you about it. :)

H

Cyburbian
I get a kick that the auto in the article’s picture is German. :)

BKM

Cyburbian
From another fan, I found this article pretty hilarious-and spot on. What I love are the huge SUVs out here with "Keep Tahoe Blue" and "Save Mono Lake" bumper stickers.

I find Kunstler very funny overall.

Got into a lengthy e-mail debate with my sister, who lives way at the top of the Oakland Hills 40 miles from her job about who was the most "environmentally correct." Since I drive way too much, I probably lost-although her use of public transit requires an extraordinary effort that 90% of people are unwilling to do.