• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Discuss

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Fingernails in a chalk board

When I hear professionals -- who ought to know better -- discuss a track of land. Tract! you idiot.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Heineken remover or Heimlich maneuver... I don't think this is as much of a mispronunciation as just a total mix up in the terminology.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
"Old Timer's Disease" and "illrelevant" especially get to me.

As far as regional things, leaving off R's at the end of a word is one thing, but when people ADD R's in the same sentence that drives me nuts. As in "I spilled my sodER in the cah" or "I didn't think that was propah under the lawR." Pick a pronunceation error and stick with it!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Gedunker said:
When I hear professionals -- who ought to know better -- discuss a track of land.

They need to have their mouths sealed with some duck tape.

(turns and runs)

They don't have one of my favorites there. Outside of the Northeast and Great Lakes region, you often hear people refer to all the Eyetalyuns in New York. Interesting ... I never heard of Eyetaly.

kms

Cyburbian
Someone who carpools from the suburbs into Pittsburgh knows what Carpool Tunnel Syndrome is. B-)

biscuit

Cyburbian
I know it's just a regionalism, but people here "warsh" their cars instead of washing them.

hindered

Hmmm

I question the duck-duct tape.

I seem to remember some random information thrown at me from the History channel or some such that said duck-duct tape is really not for ducts (which I know is true) and that it actually started being called duck tape after GI's used it alot in WWII to seal things up and keep them dry.

My question: Was it called duct tape prior to WWII? Which is really correct?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Not on the list, but: clerks who drop the "s" off the word cents when they give you your change. I hear it all the time around here.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Around here they drop the verb "to be" from many sentences, such as "My car needs warshed" or "The house needs painted".

It is also locally a very hard "t" sound in "acrosst" as opposed to "acrossed" (for "across").

otterpop

Cyburbian
In Montana, there is the question of how to pronounce "creek". The popular pronunciation, especially by the native or people emulating to be natives is "crick". I refuse to comply. It is pronounced "creak". After all, my ancestors fought the Creek ('creak") Indians, not the "crick" Indians.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
My wife still says "sherbert" regardless (or as some say, "irregardless") of the fact that I have shown her the correct spelling in the dictionary.

In all other respects, her intelligence far exceeds the average.

JNL

Cyburbian
hindered said:
I question the duck-duct tape.

Which is really correct?

I heard that it was originally called duct tape, then a brand of duct tape called itself Duck Tape, and became a prominent brand, so they are both correct.

I hate 'imput' for 'input', mixing up affect and effect, Asterix instead of asterisk,... I'm sure there are more!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Duct is correct due to the tape was created to repair air ducts... people started to call it duck... and a company changed it's name to "DUCK TAPE"

I hate when people get Plot and Plat mixed up...

"You don't need a copy of the Plat Plan, but you will need a Plot Plan!"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wait a minute, we're flaming folks on this thread for speaking in "regionalisms" (like ruuf vs rewf) when we think they should be adhering to a "universal" form but on the thread 'local sayings' we're flaming folks for speaking "regionalisms" (like 'don't like the weather here in ------- wait 5 minutes it'l change') which are, in fact "universal" sayings.

Brain overheating.....not understand.....AAAAUGH!!! 8-!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
michaelskis said:
Duct is correct due to the tape was created to repair air ducts

I think someone already pointed out that duct tape was in fact not originally designed to fix ducts. I seem to recall seeing a study done somewhere that found that duct tape isn't very effective in sealing air ducts.

In the army, we called duct tape "gun" tape, and in came in a bunch of groovy colours like olive drab and mud brown. I still have a roll of it lying around somewhere.

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
In the army, we called duct tape "gun" tape, and in came in a bunch of groovy colours like olive drab and mud brown. I still have a roll of it lying around somewhere.

I think the gun tape your referring to is the same thing we described as "hundred mile an hour tape" in the oz military.