• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Discuss:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Alright, I'm sure El Guapo can out do this, but not without Photoshop. This one is real:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Ah, the English sense of humour! (the phone number on the truck looks like a UK number).

There was a hair salon near my grandmother's house (also in the UK) called "Blowjobs".

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Air conditioning in the UK ... seems redundant, in a way.

What the folks across the pond need, from what they tell me, is PLUMBING SERVICE! UK plumbing, to use a word that describes other, normally more positive traits of the Queen's domain, is "quaint."

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Dan said:
Air conditioning in the UK ... seems redundant, in a way.
Have you ever been stuck in the UK during a heat wave (they do happen)? It is no fun, as there is little air-conditioning, even in the shopping malls and such.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Journeymouse, would you can to opine?
Sorry for the belated response, I've been on holiday for the last week.

Anyway, my opinion. Ummm. We need air conditioning in summer. Hot weather has a tendency to suprise us in Britain 'cos we never expect it. This time of year is usually somewhere between 20 and 25 degrees centigrade (yes, we do consider that hot, and no, I don't know what that is in fahrenheit...). It's not really hot, but it's enough to make us a little uncomfortable.

BTW, I'm sat in a room at about 23 degrees, wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals. All my colleagues are meeting VIPs and 'public' today so they're all in suits (shirt, jacket, trousers/skirts, ties for the men), looking a bit hot and bothered and incredibly jealous.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Have you ever been stuck in the UK during a heat wave (they do happen)? It is no fun, as there is little air-conditioning, even in the shopping malls and such.
I second that motion.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:

I've alwas been there in Autumn when the rest of the tourists go home.

Wisconsin is having one heck of a heat wave this summer. Dozens of days in the 90's so far (sorry Journeymouse, I don't know what that is in centigrade), and heat index well over 100. My air conditioner just couldn't keep up - so I was forced to go to a bar to shoot pool yesterday. (yeah, twisted my arm something fierce!)