• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

"Do Democrats Cause Cancer?"

Cardinal

Cyburbian
You beat me to it. C'mon, Fox, lighten up:

" 'Now Fox has a new rule that we can't do those little fake news crawls on the bottom of the screen in a cartoon because it might confuse the viewers into thinking it's real news,' he said."

Is this the end for the Simpsons? I can't help but think of the "network executives" who sometimes appear in a show, always tinkering with the creative talent until the show loses all appeal.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
You beat me to it. C'mon, Fox, lighten up:

" 'Now Fox has a new rule that we can't do those little fake news crawls on the bottom of the screen in a cartoon because it might confuse the viewers into thinking it's real news,' he said."
Now come on!
Does this decision mean that they have publicly announced that the average viewer is too much of a dullard to distinguish between FOX News Channel and an animated news parody? Well, then again, once you think about it the differences aren’t really all that apparent…

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
biscuit said:
Now come on!
Does this decision mean that they have publicly announced that the average viewer is too much of a dullard to distinguish between FOX News Channel and an animated news parody? Well, then again, once you think about it the differences aren’t really all that apparent…

DITTOS

Yes, we are all stupid!:);-)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Groenning is GOOD! He will just switch to some other form of "news scrawling". Like showing signs in animated political rallies or something good like that! :) Besides, its not the first time they have made changes like that. The nuclear industry forced them to take the 3 eyed fish out of thier beggining credits! BRING BACK THE THREE EYED FISH! :)

otterpop

Cyburbian
This news story is too funny. Murdoch and Fox News really needs to lighten up. What makes "The Simpsons" funny and consistently watchable is their irreverance and willingness to poke fun at American culture. As Bart might say to Rupert: "Eat my shorts."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Here's the crawler that ran during The Simpsons.

POINTLESS NEWS CRAWLS UP 37 PERCENT ... DO DEMOCRATS CAUSE CANCER? FIND OUT AT FOXNEWS.COM ... RUPERT MURDOCH: TERRIFIC DANCER ... DOW DOWN 5000 POINTS ... STUDY: 92 PERCENT OF DEMOCRATS ARE GAY ... JFK POSTHUMOUSLY JOINS REPUBLICAN PARTY ... OIL SLICKS FOUND TO KEEP SEALS YOUNG, SUPPLE ... DAN QUALYE: AWESOME ... ASHCROFT DECLARES BREAST OF CHICKEN SANDWICH "OBSCENE" ... HILLARY CLINTON EMBARRASSES SELF, NATION ... BIBLE SAYS JESUS FAVORED CAPITAL-GAINS CUT ... STAY TUNED FOR HANNITY AND IDIOT ... ONLY DORKS WATCH CNN ... JIMMY CARTER: OLD, WRINKLY, USELESS ... BRAD PITT + ALBERT EINSTEIN = DICK CHENEY ... RIGHT WING OF CHICKEN

On the other hand, here's a Photoshopped image that I created for a Fark.com contest, depicting a French version of Fox News.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't think I've heard about anything new that Matt Groening has been involved in for at at least a decade. It's like he fell off the face of the earth. And yet the monster he created lumbers relentlessly on forever and ever....

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I don't think I've heard about anything new that Matt Groening has been involved in for at at least a decade. It's like he fell off the face of the earth. And yet the monster he created lumbers relentlessly on forever and ever....
Unlike Two and a Half Men, the characters never age (permanently at least). I don't think Groening actually does anything any more other than collect residuals. Sweet!

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Well done in reviving a thread that has been closed for 7 years. I love The Simpsons but the story lines are starting to get old.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well done in reviving a thread that has been closed for 7 years. I love The Simpsons but the story lines are starting to get old.
And yet I believe they still get good ratings. They also have first take on cameos. I think any famous person would still be excited to be on the Simpsons. It seems that the Simpsons are taking a back seat to the Family Guy universe.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Is this the end for the Simpsons? I can't help but think of the "network executives" who sometimes appear in a show, always tinkering with the creative talent until the show loses all appeal.
Okay, I admit I bumped the thread just for the shock value, but speaking of network execs managing/tinkering a show to death, did anyone else hear Tommy Smothers' recent interview on NPR where he blasted CBS for killing their show over 40 years ago?

And yet I believe they still get good ratings. They also have first take on cameos. I think any famous person would still be excited to be on the Simpsons. It seems that the Simpsons are taking a back seat to the Family Guy universe.
And not to belabor the obvious, but there would be no Family Guy were there not first a Simpsons.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
I don't think I've heard about anything new that Matt Groening has been involved in for at at least a decade. It's like he fell off the face of the earth. ....
Futurama has new episodes- and they are quite entertaining

Okay, I admit I bumped the thread just for the shock value, .
You have a problem. Seriously. In otehr forums I belong to its called spamming and trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Futurama has new episodes- and they are quite entertaining
And Simpsons has new episodes too, but I think ofos is right in that Groening's actual personal involvement with either show at this point is limited to going out to his mailbox every day to pick up the checks.

imaplanner said:
You have a problem. Seriously. In otehr forums I belong to its called spamming and trolling.
And if I was in this instance trying to either solicit a product or deliberately inciting controversy, you'd have a good point. I meant, however, 'shocking' in the sense of this thread is how many years old?

kalimotxo

Cyburbian
The story lines were starting to get old about 10 years ago. For me, watching the Simpsons these days is like visiting an old high school friend only to find he spends his days taking bong hits and eating cocoa puffs... kind of pathetic and better remembered than revisited.

That said, the first 9 seasons or so were probably the best thing ever broadcast on network TV.