• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Places 🏙️ Do you have an accent?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
Michele Zone said:
I have never heard that "Yankee" was some kind of slur. If it's so bad, why are there teams with names like "New York Yankees"?
Because they picked those names before they knew they were going to invade and totally tick off the south?????
 

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Messages
2,093
Points
22
Michele Zone said:
I have never heard that "Yankee" was some kind of slur. If it's so bad, why are there teams with names like "New York Yankees"?
How about the "Wahington Redskins"?

As far as accents go, those who live north of me say I sound like a redneck. those to the south say I sound like a Yankee:-D
 
Messages
7,628
Points
29
Zoning Goddess said:
Because they picked those names before they knew they were going to invade and totally tick off the south?????
Funny. But, unfortunately I don't really think that is relevant. I have heard people from other nations use "Yankee" or "Yank" to refer to Americans generally, not just folks from up north. And, ironically, you are contradicting yourself and hurting your own argument. Earlier, you indicated that "yankee" wasn't a slur, that if you intended it as a slur, you would have said "damned yankees". Now you are implying it is a slur. I don't think it is.

I have sympathy for your ire over the way The South and Southerners get talked about and I also have sympathy for your own dislike of northerners 'invading', whether via The Civil War or as Carpetbaggers or as tourists. But I don't have a lot of sympathy for your desire to sometimes use that to justify attacks on others.

Peace.
 

jmello

Cyburbian
Messages
2,580
Points
22
Michele Zone said:
Earlier, you indicated that "yankee" wasn't a slur, that if you intended it as a slur, you would have said "damned yankees". Now you are implying it is a slur. I don't think it is.

Come live down here for awhile and here the tone that is used when the word is spoken and you'll change your mind quickly. It is most definitely used as a slur. However, it has also been coopted by us Yankees and used as a term of endearment amongst ourselves.
 

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
12,743
Points
46
jmello said:
Come live down here for awhile and here the tone that is used when the word is spoken and you'll change your mind quickly. It is most definitely used as a slur. However, it has also been coopted by us Yankees and used as a term of endearment amongst ourselves.

I remember when I first relocated here 4 years ago to open a few restaurants for the company I was working for. In Oregon there is no smoking in any workplaces including restaurants and bars, in SC you can still smoke in many restaurants. An old coot came strolling in with a cigarette in his mouth and I asked him politely to please put it out as there was no smoking in our restaurant. He looked me dead in the eye and said "Darlin' I ain't smokin' it, it's hanging from my lips." I pointed out that it was lit and had to go regardless if he was puffing on it or not and at that point I got called a Yankee witch with a capital B and was treated to a littany of why northerners suck. He got asked to leave then.

My daughter was nine when she moved here, but boy has she picked up the southern accent and says she doesn't care what the kids in NJ will say when we move north so I can attend grad school. :-c Where did I go wrong??
 

Bubba

Cyburbian
Messages
6,083
Points
49
In an attempt to get this thread back on topic...

I have a pronounced southern drawl, which, when combined with a deep voice and a tendency to mumble, can make me unintelligible at times (a buddy of mine in college, who was from Maryland, used to have to have his girlfriend (a Georgia native) "translate" what I was saying on occasion when I'd had a few beers). 17 years of living in metro Atlanta has somewhat abated the drawl, but it's still noticable, and it gets worse when ever I go see my parents in south Georgia for a few days. Mrs. Bubba has no real accent - her childhood was split between rural western New York and the outlying Atlanta 'burbs.

[ot]
kjelsadek said:
My daughter was nine when she moved here, but boy has she picked up the southern accent and says she doesn't care what the kids in NJ will say when we move north so I can attend grad school. :-c Where did I go wrong??

And folks with attitudes like this wonder why they sometimes encounter "Yankee go home" sentiment:r: [/ot]
 
Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
12,743
Points
46
Bubba said:
[ot]

And folks with attitudes like this wonder why they sometimes encounter "Yankee go home" sentiment:r: [/ot]

It was a joke :) and a realization that the younger you are the faster you pick up the accent.
 
Messages
7,628
Points
29
jmello said:
Come live down here for awhile and here the tone that is used when the word is spoken and you'll change your mind quickly. It is most definitely used as a slur. However, it has also been coopted by us Yankees and used as a term of endearment amongst ourselves.
I was born and raised in Georgia and I am currently in Georgia. I stand by my original statement: "Yankee" is not in and of itself a slur. If people are saying it like it's a slur, well there are sexist pigs who make comments about "Women!" as if that word were a slur. You can take any word and imbue it with emotional invective in the way you say it and use it like it's a slur.
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
16,124
Points
61
[ot]
jmello said:
Come live down here for awhile and here the tone that is used when the word is spoken and you'll change your mind quickly. It is most definitely used as a slur. However, it has also been coopted by us Yankees and used as a term of endearment amongst ourselves.
Well, you certainly aren't the first 'group' to do this.[/ot]
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,887
Points
26
savemattoon said:
How about the "Wahington Redskins"?

As far as accents go, those who live north of me say I sound like a redneck. those to the south say I sound like a Yankee:-D

The blendy-accent of central Illinois. Savematton, south of I-74, southern accent, north of I-74, no accent. In my travels, this has never failed me. When I visited Decatur and Springfield as a young lad, I couldn't believe the intensity of the drawl. Now living in P-town it doesn't sound as harsh. We've got some weird drawlly, midwesterny, chicago-y accent thing going on here. I guess that's what we get for straddling I-74. ;-) :-D
 

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
12,743
Points
46
On the Dish Network distributor's sign marquee today in town.....

"If ya never ate a 'mater and Duke's samich before ya might be a blueneck"

Welcome to SC baby.
 

Hceux

Cyburbian
Messages
1,028
Points
22
Have any of you come across listening to someone who speak with a "deaf" accent? If so, what are your thoughts about it.

I mean, if a person has a deaf accent, then can that person have an accent similar to people who grew up in the same area as this person? Or is it totally a different ball park?
 
Messages
7,628
Points
29
Hceux said:
Have any of you come across listening to someone who speak with a "deaf" accent? If so, what are your thoughts about it.

I mean, if a person has a deaf accent, then can that person have an accent similar to people who grew up in the same area as this person? Or is it totally a different ball park?
My thoughts: My impression is that a "deaf" accent means the person is not fully able to mimick some sounds. To me, it sounds somewhat "flat" -- it tends to lack the highs and lows (for lack of a better term) of normal speach. The words seem to not be fully formed or something. It's hard for me to describe it. I really don't know if it varies any with regional accents as well because I can't say I have spoken with enough deaf people to have noticed any such thing. I do know that some deaf people can tell some accents apart via lipreading. I saw a really interesting interview with a woman who told the interviewer that Americans talk slower than Brits and other English-speaking cultures, so she knew he had "an American accent" (or that he was American...or whatever. It was a long time ago that I saw this interview).

EDIT: I think maybe this will make more sense: A deaf accent sounds to me like a sculpture that is not clearly and crisply defined in shape. It's more of a vague blob that suggests the image.

I hope I didn't just insult you and stick both feet in my mouth. :-c :-x
 

Bubba

Cyburbian
Messages
6,083
Points
49
Hceux said:
Have any of you come across listening to someone who speak with a "deaf" accent? If so, what are your thoughts about it.

I mean, if a person has a deaf accent, then can that person have an accent similar to people who grew up in the same area as this person? Or is it totally a different ball park?

One of our transportation design guys is deaf - he communicates mostly by sign language, but he'll supplement that on rare occasions by speaking if he absolutely can't get his point across. He's an Alabama native, working in Georgia for the last twenty or so years. I'd place his accent (as much as you can pick up on from one or two words at a time) as somewhere between neutral and slightly northern - there's no drawl to be heard.
 

Plan-it

Cyburbian
Messages
995
Points
20
I guess I have a wierd mix between the fast talking Bostonian and the Atlanta drawl.:-c
 
Messages
7,628
Points
29
Plan-it said:
I guess I have a wierd mix between the fast talking Bostonian and the Atlanta drawl.:-c
My father is from Indiana and speaks with a Hoosier accent. My mother is a German immigrant. I grew up in The South and no one there ever thought I had a Southern accent. I did not get told I had a Southern accent until I moved to the West Coast (even in Kansas and Texas, I was not deemed to have "a Southern drawl"). Additionally, I have been around the military my whole life. So maybe the one defining trait of my speach is my tendency to swear like a sailor. :p
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
Michele Zone said:
I have sympathy for your ire over the way The South and Southerners get talked about and I also have sympathy for your own dislike of northerners 'invading', whether via The Civil War or as Carpetbaggers or as tourists. But I don't have a lot of sympathy for your desire to sometimes use that to justify attacks on others.

I don't mind tourists. They are usually at the other end of town, and frankly, there seem to be more from South America and Europe than from up north. And I'm not a student of history. What bugs the crap out of me is the Yankees who move down here and try to take over and change everything, like we're morons. If I hear one more old fart say "I sat on the Planning board in New Jersey and we knew how to do things right up there" I'm gonna slug him. If every old fart who said that had sat on a planning board, 99% of the former residents must have been exemplary volunteers in their home states. We do have a true identity down here, but in Florida, less than 20% of residents were born here, so that's rapidly disappearing, then add on the sprawl identical to everywhere else. We get bitched at because we don't provide the same services they got "back home", we don't know how to drive, talk, etc. It gets really tiresome. It's not like we're flocking up there and trying to take over. So yeah, it feels like an invasion.:-@

Now I'm going to take my little rebel a$$ out to the kitchen and have a glass of wine, thank you very much.
 

Hceux

Cyburbian
Messages
1,028
Points
22
Michele Zone said:
I hope I didn't just insult you and stick both feet in my mouth. :-c :-x

Nope, not a worry. I don't know what it sounds to people with regular normal ears. So, that's why I was asking for observations from you brilliant Cyburbians. :)
 
Messages
7,628
Points
29
Zoning Goddess said:
I don't mind tourists. They are usually at the other end of town, and frankly, there seem to be more from South America and Europe than from up north. And I'm not a student of history. What bugs the crap out of me is the Yankees who move down here and try to take over and change everything, like we're morons. If I hear one more old fart say "I sat on the Planning board in New Jersey and we knew how to do things right up there" I'm gonna slug him. If every old fart who said that had sat on a planning board, 99% of the former residents must have been exemplary volunteers in their home states. We do have a true identity down here, but in Florida, less than 20% of residents were born here, so that's rapidly disappearing, then add on the sprawl identical to everywhere else. We get bitched at because we don't provide the same services they got "back home", we don't know how to drive, talk, etc. It gets really tiresome. It's not like we're flocking up there and trying to take over. So yeah, it feels like an invasion.:-@

Now I'm going to take my little rebel a$$ out to the kitchen and have a glass of wine, thank you very much.
And spewing such hostility at me (or jmello or whomever else) -- does that stop the invasion? Or does it maybe just offend people and hurt people and make enemies for you unnecessarily? -- even from people who might otherwise be sympathetic and supportive?
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
Michele Zone said:
And spewing such hostility at me (or jmello or whomever else) -- does that stop the invasion? Or does it maybe just offend people and hurt people and make enemies for you unnecessarily? -- even from people who might otherwise be sympathetic and supportive?
Funny, someone just said "I hate the public" in the neverending thread. That's OK. Right? Everyone can bash the south right and left on these forums, and boy has that happened, and that's OK. Get off your stinking high horse.

Yellow card, thanks!

Moderator note:

So be it.

unitedvictoriousshalriejoseph3.jpg


No personal attacks, please. Attack the idea, not the person.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,463
Points
25
Michele Zone said:
And spewing such hostility at me (or jmello or whomever else) -- does that stop the invasion? Or does it maybe just offend people and hurt people and make enemies for you unnecessarily? -- even from people who might otherwise be sympathetic and supportive?

Zoning Goddess said:
Funny, someone just said "I hate the public" in the neverending thread. That's OK. Right? Everyone can bash the south right and left on these forums, and boy has that happened, and that's OK. Get off your stinking high horse.

Yellow card, thanks!

Hey, lets play nice.
Celebration.JPG


These dumb backwater hicks down here don't think I have an accent;)
 

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
12,743
Points
46
Zoning Goddess said:
I don't mind tourists. They are usually at the other end of town, and frankly, there seem to be more from South America and Europe than from up north. And I'm not a student of history. What bugs the crap out of me is the Yankees who move down here and try to take over and change everything, like we're morons. If I hear one more old fart say "I sat on the Planning board in New Jersey and we knew how to do things right up there" I'm gonna slug him. If every old fart who said that had sat on a planning board, 99% of the former residents must have been exemplary volunteers in their home states. We do have a true identity down here, but in Florida, less than 20% of residents were born here, so that's rapidly disappearing, then add on the sprawl identical to everywhere else. We get bitched at because we don't provide the same services they got "back home", we don't know how to drive, talk, etc. It gets really tiresome. It's not like we're flocking up there and trying to take over. So yeah, it feels like an invasion.:-@

Now I'm going to take my little rebel a$$ out to the kitchen and have a glass of wine, thank you very much.

*LOL* Makes you want to say "Well why the $@&! did you move here if you liked it so much up there." We have half-backers here....folks that moved from the North to Florida, didn't like it after they got there, and ventured north to South Carolina.

In Oregon, we used to say "Welcome to Oregon, we hope you enjoy your visit. Please don't stay."
 

jmello

Cyburbian
Messages
2,580
Points
22
kjelsadek said:
We have half-backers here....folks that moved from the North to Florida, didn't like it after they got there, and ventured north to South Carolina.

Interesting. North Carolina is seeing two primary types of "invaders:"

1. Redneck* Floridians who are cashing out on their overpriced homes and fleeing the "Latin invasion" of South Florida to much "whiter pastures." They usually bring the haphazard overdevelopment along with them.

2. Old Yankee New Jerseyans and New Yorkers, who, as ZG said, all claim to have been on the planning board "back home." They usually want to close the door as soon as they manage to settle somewhere and get their piece.

*Used to define a certain type of Floridian, not as a blanket moniker for all southerners.
 

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Messages
3,863
Points
23
jmello said:
Interesting. North Carolina is seeing two primary types of "invaders:"

1. Redneck* Floridians who are cashing out on their overpriced homes and fleeing the "Latin invasion" of South Florida to much "whiter pastures." They usually bring the haphazard overdevelopment along with them.

2. Old Yankee New Jerseyans and New Yorkers, who, as ZG said, all claim to have been on the planning board "back home." They usually want to close the door as soon as they manage to settle somewhere and get their piece.

*Used to define a certain type of Floridian, not as a blanket moniker for all southerners.

South Florida was primarily settled by northerners and the invasion that Zoning Goddess refers to up north really never occurred down here. The south Florida region was essentially a backwater until the 1920s because the great swamp and fears of indians led most to conclude that inhabiting the southern peninsula was a fruitless endeavor (Michael Grunwald's "The Swamp" provides an excellent history of south Florida and man's tortuous relationship with the Everglades btw). Sure you have pockets of white southerners (Davie, Fort Pierce come to mind) but I don't think that these folks can claim to be "natives" any more than the New Yorkers who came down in droves in the 1960s. The former have certainly been outnumbered for some time. And don't forget that Henry Flagler- the so-called father of south Florida- was a yankee all the way.

And as for ZG's constant gripes about the yankees invading, I suspect this is a minority viewpoint among her "true-blooded" southern peers. Tourism and new home construction are the lifeblood of Florida's economy, so take away the yankees and I doubt that Florida could sustain an economy based on the agriculture-based, cracker lifestyle of the past.
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
hilldweller said:
South Florida was primarily settled by northerners and the invasion that Zoning Goddess refers to up north really never occurred down here.

And as for ZG's constant gripes about the yankees invading, I suspect this is a minority viewpoint among her "true-blooded" southern peers. Tourism and new home construction are the lifeblood of Florida's economy, so take away the yankees and I doubt that Florida could sustain an economy based on the agriculture-based, cracker lifestyle of the past.

I was in Boca a couple years ago with my son and we went to a "deli" which, I swear to whoever, had not one customer besides us who wasn't a Yankee. It was all, and I mean every other customer, people (and I use the term loosely) from NY and NJ. Broward County is nothing BUT Yankees.

As to development.... I am not the only one who hates it. Yeah, I might not be working as a planner if they weren't here. But they are destroying this state, aided by all the money-grubbing landowners who were doing just fine until some stinking Yankee waved a check in their face. Don't forget, we had a long standing economy before the big tourism wave hit with Disney in the early '70's. Our gripe is the northern developers who come in, rape the state, and then head for greener pastures.
 

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Messages
3,863
Points
23
Zoning Goddess said:
I was in Boca a couple years ago with my son and we went to a "deli" which, I swear to whoever, had not one customer besides us who wasn't a Yankee. It was all, and I mean every other customer, people (and I use the term loosely) from NY and NJ. Broward County is nothing BUT Yankees.

As to development.... I am not the only one who hates it. Yeah, I might not be working as a planner if they weren't here. But they are destroying this state, aided by all the money-grubbing landowners who were doing just fine until some stinking Yankee waved a check in their face. Don't forget, we had a long standing economy before the big tourism wave hit with Disney in the early '70's. Our gripe is the northern developers who come in, rape the state, and then head for greener pastures.

Let me let you in on a little secret: I hate development too. 90% of it is completely unneccessary and altogether unsustainable for the future of the state. But it won't go away and neither will the yankees (like myself) you despise.

The good news is that Florida has some of the most progressive planning statutes in the country. Of course, the system depends on an engaged public and elected leaders who believe in the principles of growth management and the protection of natural resources. Frankly, it needs people to raise hell like the enviros used to do in the 1970s and 80s.:)
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,300
Points
45
Bumped

ZG commented to me last night that I'm developing a southern accent. This is a nightmare turn of events. What will my friends and family think of me? I must invoke more discipline on myself.

"Articulate."
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
ZG commented to me last night that I'm developing a southern accent. This is a nightmare turn of events. What will my friends and family think of me? I must invoke more discipline on myself.

"Articulate."

It was just the tiniest bit of a drawl while he was on the phone.:r:
 

The One

Cyburbian
Messages
8,286
Points
31
Nope.....

I'm from Colorado. People from Colorado don't have any accent at all, it is a well known fact.
:-x
 

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
12,235
Points
49
ZG commented to me last night that I'm developing a southern accent. This is a nightmare turn of events. What will my friends and family think of me? I must invoke more discipline on myself.

"Articulate."

It happens to the best of us. The longer you are in the South, the more you assimilate.
 

DVD

Cyburbian
Messages
15,673
Points
53
I'm from Colorado. People from Colorado don't have any accent at all, it is a well known fact.
:-x

Like TO I have no accent - not that I'm from Colorado.
Does not having an accent mean you have an accent when you're in Boston or down South?
 

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Messages
3,725
Points
22
I have an Arizona accent which means I can pronounce most Mexican food items with a proper Sonoran accent.
 

Isaac

Cyburbian
Messages
31
Points
2
My accent is fairly neutral. There's a little bit of Southern but it's covered by a little bit of German. People know I have a slight accent but they usually can't quite place it since it's so scattered.
 

otterpop

Cyburbian
Messages
6,655
Points
28
We're not DAT bad. ;-) Have you gotten used to "makin' groceries" yet?

sho'nuff. :)

and the other day i noticed myself saying, "it might not be open RIGHT YET."

The other day I took my son to one of the local urgent cares and the doctor comes from the New Orleans area. He had the quinessential New Orleans accent.

As I was leaving I mentioned it was always nice visiting with a fellow New Orleanian. He said "Yeah, you rite." That, as the late Frank Davis used to say is "Naturally N'awlins."
 

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Messages
3,863
Points
23
I grew up in western Massachusetts so I don't have the Eastern New England (aka Boston) accent, which only went as far west as the Connecticut River. Western MA was settled by colonists from the Connecticut and New Haven colonies and the Western New England dialect shared by Connecticut, Vermont and Western MA is very accent neutral and nothing like Kennedy-speak. However, I have noticed that there is a distinct accent in the Hartford area.
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
19,591
Points
71
Although this song mocks the Rochester accent, the Buffalo accent and mannerisms ("that there thing there") are nearly identical. Some NSFW language.

[youtube]q3_VId0GJXc[/youtube]
 
Top