• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

do you need an Extreme Makeover?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Have you seen that show Extreme Makeover? I watched it for the first time last night. I was Extremely Mad! I spend all that time at the gym, working out, eating good, and living a particular life style. But these people, go from not to hot (in female cases) in 8 weeks.

Does anyone know non-medical or surgical ways to do an extreme makeover

martini

Cyburbian
Yeah the person makeover show absolutely blows. It shows exactly why the rest of the world is so freakin' mad at us. Personal beautly above ALL else! Granted, the people they've used appear to need some touchups though(From what I've seen on commercials, I haven't watched the show.).

I DO like the extreme(i HATE this word) home makeover though. Seems like MUCH more worthy program, and its done to places that truely need it. Especailly the last one(socail worker mom w/3 kids). At least this show has a sense of morality to it.

Budgie

Cyburbian
No, I do not need an extreme make-over. All I need is a job where I can grow my hair.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I also saw it for the first time last night. I had other things to do but kept getting drawn to it because I couldn't believe there was really a show like this. The whole show is a big commercial for plastic surgery. All of the people on the show looked very weird and unreal afterward especially the guy who was bald. Its sad to see people so depressed about their appearance, although a lot of it is self induced - weight, clothes, hairstyles.

I think as cosmetic surgery becomes more commonplace people with "different" features will feel worse and worse about themselves and have more pressure to get work done. Every one who is not a complete loser will be expected to get liposuction, botox, hair implants, veneers etc.

You know, it is all about your attitude. We've all known people who are completely unattractive but are confident and don't seem to dwell on it.

I'm glad you brought it up because that show really disturbed me. :-\

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My wife and I watched one episode all the way through once, and were also disturbed.

The people getting the work appear to have real deep-seated emotional problems that they blame looks, which could part of the porblem.

The people seem to be genuinely up-lifted (no pun intended) by the work done to them, but when the euphoria of the experience wears off will they disgress into the old anxeities and emotional porblems. Did it really help them? I don't know.

Granted the show's producers recently did an update show catching up with people. The ones they showed seemed to be "better", but, once agian, I don't know.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
There better be a darned good reason for me to undergo the knife.
Vanity, alas, ain't one of 'em, ain't even close.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I have seen it and it is amazing. I haven't watched it since. Vanity is hard to watch. I just saw my plastic surgeon. Sometimes it isn't elective! I had to have some skin cancer removed from my forehead, and it had to look good!

I fully support cosmetic dental work. When braces or other orthodontics don't work, implants and veneers make a beautiful smile possible. Have you ever met a child that was afraid to smile? It is so sad.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I thought about getting braces for cosmetic reasons. Went to the orthodontist to see if I could get the "invisible" kind. I can't and would need JAW SURGERY just to get the metal kind. I'm not about to go through that for cosmetic reasons - I don't look that bad. So my new outlook is if people don't like my fangs, they get bitten.

Belle

Cyburbian
Strange...

I got drawn into it one night and watched the show and thought, that so sad. I was about to turn off the TV when a second episode started. I looked at the screen and thought, that must be some B-actress, because she looks really familiar but I can't place her. Then they launched into her life, how she was a teacher at Columbine. It suddenly hit me, I KNOW this woman. She also worked retail as a sideline, and we had occassionaly worked together a few years ago. Then they showed her daughters, who used to come into the store often. Talk about strange, seeing someone you know on that show!

JNL

Cyburbian
That show is some crazy sh*t... (yes we get it here too!) I don't think they detail the costs on the show of what people have done, but this magazine I read gets experts in to estimate the total cost of the makeovers, and we're talking tens of thousands, like $70-80k, and quite a few run into hundreds of thousands!!!!!!!!!! I can think of much better things to do with the money!

I think originally the idea was to help out people who had debilitating disfigurements, but it seems to have gone off track...

Has anyone seen the show Nip/Tuck with Julian McMahon? I keep expecting him to throw fire or disappear or something (from his role as a demon in Charmed).

I don't watch that much TV, honestly..... :)