• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Do you own firearms?

Do you own any firearms?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • I would like to buy one in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Firearms should be outlawed.

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

el Guapo

Capitalist
Budgie said:
At this point, I have every reason to fear retribution from gun slinging militants. Because, GOD dammit, I'm unamerican, unchristian and anti-gun. I guarantee the gun carriers are polishing and loading their pieces. Who's my friend?

Seek Medical Help NOW!

donk

Cyburbian
Fearfully Budgie posted
At this point, I have every reason to fear retribution from gun slinging militants. Because, GOD dammit, I'm unamerican, unchristian and anti-gun. I guarantee the gun carriers are polishing and loading their pieces. Who's my friend?

Don't worry, I'd protect you, with my gun, if the government would allow me to register it, buy the bullets and store it in a safe manner in a locked drawer at the gun club. ;)

May take awhile to get the gun, drive to the club for teh ammo, load it and return to your house and you may be shot, but I'd get revenge for you. ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Budgie said:
How knows best in this matter? Who faces this issue everyday? The police !!!! I bet those who know best will clearly say, "make guns harder to get".

The average policeman, if he was in charge, would have you bend over and get an Abner every time you looked at them crosswise or he was in a bad mood. The cops want to make their job easy. Easy is no-knock searches, easy is to confiscate money and cars based upon suspicion, easy is no guns for anyone, easy is a lo-jack suppository, easy is planted evidence, easy is test-a-lieing, easy is racial profiling, and easy is to react like you do. So let me get this clear? You want testosterone-pumping kids with high school educations to determine what my rights are?

You’re whacked. I'm sorry someone scared you once with a gun. But you need to go heal now and leave the adults alone to live our lives.

BTW – Missouri just passed Concealed Carry - Naa naa naa naa na na!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
whew, just got back from bowling this morning, what an exilerating experience.

You use a bowling ball or shoot the pins down?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: Re: I have a bow and arrow

Mike D. said:
The NRA has been trying to do this for years through their "Eddie Eagle" program which teaches youngsters on the dangers of firearms, not to play with them, etc. But heaven forbid we bring the NRA into our schools. They may be perceived as .... dare I say .... rational or informative?

We didn't know it at the time but the NRA sponsered the hunters education class at my middle school. I remember that, in between learning about and shooting guns, we would watch a bunch of anti-gun control NRA propaganda films. Subtle.

I for one like Alan's mandatory ninja education course. How sweet that would've been.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
ROTFLMAO!

Never thought you could mix guns and bowling! :)

You clearly haven't been hanging out with the right crowd.

As for this whole discussion, the reason I own guns is pretty simple - because I live in a country where there are a frightening number of people like Budgie who recognize everybody's "fascism" but their own, and believe only "the right kind" of rights should be sacrosanct. I want to be in a position to make sure they don't have sole power to decide which rights are "the right kind."

Cool! I think I might be the first to have triggered Godwin's Law in this thread!

Wulf9

The Irish one said:
Wulf9 isn't driving a privilege, not a right? I'm not arguing here, just came to mind.

Yep, driving is a privilege. It is not a "right" because it is not mentioned in the Constitution. Bearing arms is mentioned, so it has the defined element of being a "right." That right can be subject to reasonable controls, such as product safety and registration, but it has a very different standing than driving.

Don't get me started on "rights," which, in my mind, are Constitutional, rather than personal opinions. You have the right not to have your property siezed, but you don't have property rights. Ooops, I've already started in on rights.

Wulf

BKM

Cyburbian

Falling right down the middle on this

I actually agree somewhat with Budgie (from a very different perspective than his married middle class professional perspective, by the way. Hence my post on the patriotic God-fearing All American fruitcakes in the North Carolina mountains).

I'm sorry El Guapo: some of your posts and the pronouncements from the more militant gun nuts are frightening-because this fanaticism often goes along with a whole panoply of other political, religious, and cultural beliefs that DO frighten me. Not that you yourself follow all of these beliefs (enough of them, though, to make me concerned) and not that you care about MY concerns, but just understand where I am coming from.

On the other hand, I think the Second Amendment CAN and HAS been interpreted traditionally to allow for "well-regulated" personal ownership of guns. "Landscaping" is an entirely different issue (a "straw man" argument), not a "right" specifically outlined in the Constitution.

On the other hand, to rely purely on a verbatim interpretation of the Constitution is, once again, part of a very narrow, fanatical view of society that I'm happy a majority does NOT share. Slavery, rights of women, rights of privacy-all have been "interpreted" and I am very glad they have been interpreted this way. Heck, you pro-business Republicans should be happy we have this way of using the constitution, the whole myth of "corporations" as being legally the same as individuals with all of the constitutional rights of said individuals is based on a law clerks annotation in a somewhat unrelated court case.

el Guapo

Capitalist
BKM said:
...I'm sorry El Guapo: some of your posts and the pronouncements from the more militant gun nuts are frightening-because this fanaticism often goes along with a whole panoply of other political, religious, and cultural beliefs that DO frighten me. Not that you yourself follow all of these beliefs (enough of them, though, to make me concerned) and not that you care about MY concerns, but just understand where I am coming from....

Some of the gun nuts scare even me. On this we can both agree. There are very few institutions or ideas I truly believe in at this jadded stage of my life. A free and democratic people is about all I have left to believe in. I know that our freedom flows from our being an armed citzenry. In fact much of the world remains free because of armed American Citizens. Thus, while I can see the downside of gun ownership, I can only conclude that it is a necessary evil.

Now, please tell me which of my beliefs frighten you? I'm curious.

Jeff

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:

Now, please tell me which of my beliefs frighten you? I'm curious.

Its the bike man. It all comes back to the bike. They want you off the bike and back in your gas-guzzling Volvo so that we can increase our dependence on foreign oil, which in turn allows us to invade poor defenseless countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, and keeps the defense contractors rich, and GWB's oil money flowing.

Its all about the bike. Fear the bike.

God it really is easy to sound like a nut.

Planderella

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Its the bike man. It all comes back to the bike. They want you off the bike and back in your gas-guzzling Volvo so that we can increase our dependence on foreign oil, which in turn allows us to invade poor defenseless countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, and keeps the defense contractors rich, and GWB's oil money flowing.

**SNARF** Damn! That's a good one!

Tom R

Cyburbian
cashew

Mike D. said:

You sound just like Dennis Hopper.

el Guapo

Capitalist
left meets right

Mike D.
I do plan to carry on the bike once the law goes into effect. That should even things up a bit. I bet the next time someone decideds to menace with a 6000 lbs SUV I can menace back.

BTW - If you don't believe people actively try to harm bicyclists with cars for jollies you haven't riden much.

I'm sorry, did I scare someone with my desire to protect myself from agressors?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
When riding a bike its always good to have a samuri sword on your back. Also comes in handy when taking on the Seattle fuzz.
Hey maybe if I pulled a gun out on the next person that opens their car door without looking for people on bikes, they'd get the message. Of course they'd just get the rage and try to run me over and kill me with their deadly car. Once again a gun would come in handy, shoot out the tires.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Re: left meets right

el Guapo said:
I'm sorry, did I scare someone with my desire to protect myself from agressors?

Only the would-be aggressors.

Let me repeat.

ONLY THE WOULD-BE AGGRESSORS.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Tuna,
I'm not talking about waving it at people who piss me off. That's wrong. I''d end up spending half the ride brandishing a weapon. Nope, that is not for me.

I'm talking about when I am 20 miles from town on a deserted road and some redneckers decide to have fun with the bicyclist. I carry HALT for the dogs that have tried to bite me. A piece is HALT for the assholes who try to run over me.

It is only to be pulled when life or limb is in danger. Even then it is no guarentee.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
When riding a bike its always good to have a samuri sword on your back. Also comes in handy when taking on the Seattle fuzz.

Maybe, but everybody knows the Seattle Police are wusses anyway. WTO protestors proved that a couple years ago, and aggressive itinerant alcoholics remind them every day.

Hey maybe if I pulled a gun out on the next person that opens their car door without looking for people on bikes, they'd get the message. Of course they'd just get the rage and try to run me over and kill me with their deadly car. Once again a gun would come in handy, shoot out the tires.

I think this is supposed to be satire. Either that, or you're actually starting to get it! ;)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Tuna,
I'm not talking about waving it at people who piss me off. That's wrong. I''d end up spending half the ride brandishing a weapon. Nope, that is not for me.

I'm talking about when I am 20 miles from town on a deserted road and some redneckers decide to have fun with the bicyclist. I carry HALT for the dogs that have tried to bite me. A piece is HALT for the assholes who try to run over me.

It is only to be pulled when life or limb is in danger. Even then it is no guarentee.

-Hey I wasn't saying that I should wave it at people who piss me off, rather I was pointing to the fact that people who drive don't realize that they share the roadway with other forms of transportation, and maybe if a person on a bike with a gun was as dangerous as a careless driver behind the wheel of a ton of metel, maybe they'd be more courtious.
As for protecting yourself from the rednecks on deserted roads, good luck with that, I keep replaying the scene from "Easy Rider" in my head and can imagine the horror.

BKM

Cyburbian
Oh I don't know, EG. Sometimes when you get on one of your rampages. Heck, I go on rampages that scare myself, too :)

Heck, there are gun control advocates that scare me. There is grounds for private gun ownership. It is "constitutional." I don't even think that more regulations or laws are an answer to problems-just enforce what we have. Where we might disagree is whether teflon-coated bullets, for example, are appropriate for private ownership. But, I don't know.

On the related topic-Kansas must be an awful place to ride. I've never felt a need to be armed in California, and I live in one of the more "town-next-door" counties in the Bay Area. :) Most of our cyclist deaths are from the mentally ill (I'm serious), blind little old ladies, or just people in a hurry.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
WOW! Did I open up some controversy with this thread. I think it is fair to say the pro-gun and anti-gun will never change sides. I surely hope that guns are not outlawed in this great country of ours (and I seriously doubt they will). To use a common phrase, the truth is somewhere in the middle. As a gun owner, I am okay with background checks and registering of firearms as well as prohibiting those with criminal records. I think Mike D. said it earlier that laws that are on the books must be enforced. If this were the case, many problems would be eliminated. Now if there is a criminal and as criminals tend to do, they will want to do bad things to people. No law or regulatory agency will prevent them from obtaining what they desire. It may take longer and that will allow them to do something more evil. Criminals do illegal things, thats what makes them criminals. Ultimately, the responsibility for gun ownership goes to the owner. Not the manufacturer. Those revent lawsuits really pissed me off - suing the manufacturer for gun violence. The gun did exactly what it was intended for. Again, those repsonsible were the ones who obtained the firearms illegally in the first place.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Right you are on many counts, STTG. But while I support background checks (instant where possible) and training (I think it should be included with every firearms purchase, just like type-training in an aircraft), I cannot in good conscience support registration. In this "gun-nut's" mind, it makes it too easy for the anschluss of our society by potential tyrants - from the right or left...simply get the reg list, go to the appropriate addresses, confiscate the guns, and voila! strong man is in control.

Yes, this may be paranoid, but it stems from my admittedly Hobbesian/Confucian belief that men are evil, crave power, and must be coerced into being virtuous by the knowledge that they risk injury or death should they try to overpower their fellow man.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
I cannot in good conscience support registration. In this "gun-nut's" mind, it makes it too easy for the anschluss of our society by potential tyrants - from the right or left...simply get the reg list, go to the appropriate addresses, confiscate the guns, and voila! strong man is in control.

I too have thought about that too. But I can't by a firearm now without registration. I really feel that the government will nevery confiscate firearms. I have seen the NRA commercial talking about this in Canada and England (it broke my heart seeing a Browning A-5 sawed in half) and can see how some may think that if it happened somewhere else, it could happen here. Ther is some truth to that statement. However, our countries history, founded on the fight by armed citizens, the war between the states (for you Southerners), the settling of the west - the firearm is part of that history. Also the economy generated by outdoor enthusiasts purchasing guns, ammo, clothing etc. would be a tremendous loss is firearms were taken away. The only thing I see happening is stricter control of the sale and manufacture of firearms. Now if the start to regulate (greater than now) the sale and production of ammo...

A side note...I don't think the purpose of gun regeistration is to confiscate (although it can be intelligently argued so) but more for safety and tracking of firearm purchases. If a firearms is used in a crime, this information could lead to the point of sale that was illegal. Also, I was told when I purchased my last gun that some of the informatoin obtained was only to be on record for a few years, but I can't remember what information it was.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Ditto to El Feo.

I'll take a test of basic firemarms knowledge..
I'll get a license and pay a reasonable fee.
I'll submit to a through background check.
I'll show up for annual drill with the rest of the armed citizens to qualify on a range as my duty should require.
I'll even take anger-management training (not counseling).
I'd even submit to a drug test as a precondition for concealed carry.

But I won't register my shooting sticks.

How is that for meeting you gun-grabbers halfway?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:

I'll show up for annual drill with the rest of the armed citizens to qualify on a range as my duty should require.

Currently of my six guns, only one is registered. If can obtain a gun without registering it, I will. In fact, I am waiting getting a gun from a family member that is supposed to be registerd by anyone in posession of it with the ATF...will I register? Hell, no! The bottom line on my thoughts for registration is that if that is what I have to do to obtain a particular gun, I will do it. If I can circumvent that procedure with a private sale, I will.

El Feo

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
However, our countries history, founded on the fight by armed citizens, the war between the states (for you Southerners), the settling of the west - the firearm is part of that history.

I know where you're coming from, but - and don't take this the wrong way - history is more than American history, and it goes back further than 227 years. It's not enough for me that our nation's history and culture would indicate there is little reason to fear confiscation. 227 years of constitutional democracy is an aberration - a blip in human history - and the veneer of civilization is thin. Little separates us from anarchy, barbarism, or tyranny. I strongly, sincerely believe my right to arm myself is critical to preserving personal liberty, which history teaches us is always precious and fragile.

Also the economy generated by outdoor enthusiasts purchasing guns, ammo, clothing etc. would be a tremendous loss is firearms were taken away.

I could have said almost exactly the same thing less than 30 years ago about tobacco and cigarettes. Now clearly, growing tobacco and smoking is not a right - I'm not arguing it's completely analogous. But the obvious parallel is that culture changes and attitudes shift, and things we thought permanent cultural fixtures are put aside. Even on gun ownership there has been a significant change - would we be having this discussion 50, 75, 100 years ago? Rights - of which I believe even my right to arm and defend myself is Divine - are timeless and cannot be preserved through culture and tradition alone, and I sure don't feel like I can trust my government with the power to guarantee it on my behalf. That's all I'm saying...

Presently, my guns are in Kentucky, because without going through what I consider to be an onerous training, licensing, and registration regimen, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has "decided" I am not a trusted citizen in that regard. I cannot even possess them within my own home without their blessing, much less transport them in my car, even unloaded, locked and kept in the trunk. I would be a felon the minute I drove over the state line with them if they were not registered and I was not licensed in advance. I have serious problems with that, to the point that my wife and I have seriously discussed moving to a less oppressive state. That's my problem to grapple with, but maybe this little tale will help you understand where I'm coming from on the issue.

Last edited:

Jeff

Cyburbian
Guap....

FYI....the S&W Sigma Series in .380 is an excellent climbing gun. I use it on all my hill workouts. For speed workouts and just general riding purposes I use the H&K .40 USP (compact model, gotta fit in the jersey pocket you know?)

Remind me to post this valuable tip in the Bike Thread will ya?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wow! This is the most heated (flaming?) thread I have experienced so far.

My perspective (if you're interested):
I grew up in northern lower michigan. pracitically everyone I knew had guns and used them mainly for hunting (particularly deer season - hell, first day of rifle season was a day off for the school system, because no one would be there)

As a nuclear family, we never had any guns or hunted, but I would go hunting with relatives and never had a problem with it.

Now, that I am older, I still don't hunt or own a gun (I have shot a gun once or twice though), but I agree with other posters, EG & El Feo, about the reqs. of training and licensing.

Since becoming a professional planner, I have seen that much of the "banning" that is done is too much to the "Lowest Common Denominator" (refering to DOD's comments)

All in all, I still need to think about this issue in more depth.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Ditto to El Feo.

- I have one unregistered pistol that I bought in PA. There they'd do a background check over the phone and within minutes the gun is yours. Then if you want a concealed weapons permit, all you did was go down to the county police dept. with a 2X2 pic of yourself and pay 6 dollars for a 6 year permit. Once I moved back to NY state I just never registered with the state, although its on record in PA. Eventually I'll get the damn pistol permit, but for now I'll just keep it hidden in my back pocket.
I'll even submit my mental health history report to show how unstable I am but screw them if they want to know how many guns I have.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Gun Grabbers?

Who posted anything supporting grabbing someone's legally owned guns, except gun owners? I've followed every post in this thread and I missed that one. It surely wasn't me. And I will fight any constitutional amendment to take the legal right of gun owners away from them, because they do serve a purpose.

I reiterate that my fear is the exceptionally lethal weapon in the hands of those who would use it to cause death and destruction in the parking lot of some walmart. The loopholes in the gun laws (primarily a collector, for example) allow those would would use weapons illegally to obtain something with faster lethality than a Kentucky Long Rifle or a flintlock pistol, with relative ease.

I am striving for the middle ground -- I agree that I should not be able to own my very own 40mm Bofors, but why should I be able to own some semi-automatic that will pop 13 rounds at high velocity with a few squeezes of the trigger? I just don't know where that middle ground is.

Budgie

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Oh I don't know, EG. Sometimes when you get on one of your rampages. Heck, I go on rampages that scare myself, too :)

EG and I rampage together. EG is always more civil with other forum posters than he is with me. And I likewise abuse him. I'm not sure what it is about us, but it's like water and oil on the forum. Our personal encounters in real life have always been pleasant. Although those encounters were pre-Cyburbia. EG and I should swear off "gun" related topics, it makes the moderators nervious.

EG's rhetoric has softened and at no time did I advocate no personal guns. I only think they are too easy to get.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Budgie said:
EG and I rampage together. EG is always more civil with other forum posters than he is with me. And I likewise abuse him. I'm not sure what it is about us, but it's like water and oil on the forum. Our personal encounters in real life have always been pleasant. Although those encounters were pre-Cyburbia. EG and I should swear off "gun" related topics, it makes the moderators nervious.

EG's rhetoric has softened and at no time did I advocate no personal guns. I only think they are too easy to get.

I love you too.... :) I promise just to think evil gun-love thoughts and leave the debate to the existing written record. I'll leave this thread now if Budgie goes with me. Deal?

Jeff

Cyburbian
On another note....

The kid is going to start crawling soon, so I'm going to need to buy a safe for my weapons cache. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm now grappling with the question of leaving the loaded .40 in my nightstand. What do you guys with kids do?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
On another note....

The kid is going to start crawling soon, so I'm going to need to buy a safe for my weapons cache. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm now grappling with the question of leaving the loaded .40 in my nightstand. What do you guys with kids do?

-Put it under your pillow. Just kidding. I don't have any kids, but some gun stores have safes for a variety of weapons, as well as some department and outdoor stores stores.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I would get a heavy safe (not a $150 cabinet weighing 150 lbs.) that is fire rated to protect your guns and you can also keep car titles etc. in it as well. There are smaller pistol boxes that you have to put in a series of finger presses for the door to open. I still would not keep it out in the open, however, but in a place easy to reach. Check www.cabelas.com

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
What do you guys with kids do?
Depends if the guy you're talking about is irresponsible, if so that means doing nothing, and then are regreting accidents. I doubt you're irresponsible, a safe would be good enough.
About your gun question, you can leave it loaded and with the safe on. Or if you can load it fast enough, you could leave it unloaded...

Mike D. said:

My husband used to sleep with a weapon under his pillow. I insisted he stop doing that after we had a child. He has a safety lock on his handgun and it sits high up on a shelf in our closet. I doubt our kids even know he owns a gun. The knife collection is also secured.

On the other hand, my farm boy father kept his shot guns mounted on the wall above his bed with a couple of rounds of ammo laying in the groove on the underside of the barrel. I can remember hanging out with him, while mom was at a pta meeting with the older kids, while he carved the mounting brackets from small tree parts he cut from the wooded are behind our house. I must have been about 4 years old.

When you grow up on a farm, shot guns are a tool, not a weapon. You hunt for food, and you use it to protect your kids from a wolf, bear, fox or whatever. And it has to be kept handy. I don't believe my dad's shotguns were ever hung up on the wall loaded. But the rounds (I am sure that is not the right word) were easily accessible. I am not sure where he kept the rest of his ammo.

I grew up with my own knife collection and I was a better shot than my brother. If kids are taught about these things from an early age, they know that the BS you see on TV and in videogames is not real and these are not toys. (Of course, an infant is incapable of grasping such concepts -- you do have to secure these things physically for a time.)

Of course, my mom also peeled potatoes with a butcher knife. I eventually learned to peel them with a paring knife. If you have skills, a potato peeler is a joke -- totally inefficient. I come from an equal-opportunity rabid family.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The usual M.O. is to keep the gun, locked, unloaded, with the ammo also secured in a different location. I see the logic in that, but how in the heck does it do you any good if you need to use the weapon? But for my son's safety, that's what I do.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
On another note....

Don't do it! The kid WILL find it. Move to a safer neighborhood where you won't need it. You can go back to sleeping with it after you are an empty nester.

Weapons and ammo were never around the house loaded. New were to get both easily. Talk early and often about them if kept openly and less than securly. Demonstrate on a watermelon what they can do so they have a visual to understand. If you have a history of depression in the family, talk about that and how to deal with that BEFORE he is a tenage boy walking around in a haze of constant anger and horniness. Talk about how to handle cheating girfriends and jealous boyfriends without violence.

But then again, you should be doing these things any way :)